PDA

View Full Version : Freshly painted body panels okay to apply Zaino Z2 or Collinite 845

dudley07726
05-05-2020, 06:41 AM
Hi. I would appreciate some advice.
Having some repair work my 16 Audi A6 and some panels (hood, right fender, rear bumper) will need to be repainted.
This car has 3 stage paint.
How soon should I wait to apply Zaino Z2 and Collinite 845 once it returns from the body shop?
Thanks

Sleper
05-05-2020, 06:44 AM
old school says 90 days to apply after fresh paint. If the paint has been baked on I would suggest 30 days. Old school will still say 90. Good luck

FUNX650
05-05-2020, 08:12 AM
How soon should I wait to apply
Zaino Z2 and Collinite 845 once
it returns from the body shop?

Whoa! Don’t get the cart before the horse.

Before it leaves the body shop, I’d ask
the person(s) most responsible for the
respray what the “wait time” actually is.

Bob

Mike Phillips
05-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Before it leaves the body shop, I’d ask
the person(s) most responsible for the
respray what the “wait time” actually is.

Bob

I agree. Painter knows his paint "system" best. If the paint job is warrantied - abide by his recommendation to protect the warranty.

Besides that, I've been asked this question hundreds of times and I think I have 3-4 articles on this topic that explain the "issue" about sealing fresh paint in-depth.

Suffice to say, there are no paint manufacturers that I know of that state or recommend to seal their freshly sprayed paint before 30 to 90 days. Usually 90 day wait time is called, Bubba-Proofing. They don't trust the unwashed masses to have a clue about taking care of paint so they figure waiting longer is better as this way the consumer won't do stupid stuff before MORE than enough time has gone by and it's safe to seal the paint.

But I would say 30 days is a good rule of thumb.

And just to note - at the body shop, after the car comes out of the paint booth, if there is any sanding and buffing to be done - this is done withing days or weeks, depending upon the shop, the car and the type of work. This means they are dumping liquid chemicals on the fresh paint and smushing them around with a buffer.

So it's not that you can't use products on fresh paint - you're just not supposed to use products that act to SEAL the surface within 30/60/90 days.

Make sense?

And Zaino Z1 and Z2 would be considered Surface Sealers.

:)

Mike Phillips
05-05-2020, 08:41 AM
Here's one article from 2010

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/26967-don-t-wax-your-car-least-30-days.html)

Here's a few more...

Fresh Paint - But you can touch it... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/28717-fresh-paint-but-you-can-touch.html)

Body Shop Safe Glaze on Fresh Paint - #7 Show Car Glaze (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/28659-body-shop-safe-glaze-fresh-paint-7-show-car-glaze.html)

:)

dudley07726
05-05-2020, 10:42 AM
I will speak to the shop when I retrieve the car.
But aren’t today’s paints different from the
older lacquers and enamels that needed time for the solvents to release?
Today’s paints cure quickly from a chemical reaction.

FUNX650
05-05-2020, 12:27 PM
But aren’t today’s paints different from the
older lacquers and enamels that needed time
for the solvents to release?

Today’s paints cure quickly from a
chemical reaction.

•Technically speaking:
-Couldn’t the release of solvents, from older
lacquers and enamels, also be considered a
chemical reaction?

Here’s your best bet for “fresh paint”:

I will speak to the shop when
I retrieve the car.

Here’s the second best bet for “fresh paint”:
Meguiars M305 Ultra Finishing Durable Glaze 16 oz. (https://www.autogeek.net/megiuars-m305-16.html)

Bob

explorerlyon
05-05-2020, 05:24 PM
I recently had the hood of my Wrangler repainted. I specifically asked the body shop owner how long to wait and mentioned I had read not to wax/seal new paint. His answer was no need to wait anymore. Modern paints and clear coats don't need a waiting period anymore. I still waited 30 days just in case.

FUNX650
05-05-2020, 05:53 PM
I recently had the hood of my Wrangler repainted. I specifically asked the body shop owner how long to wait and mentioned I had read not to wax/seal new paint. His answer was no need to wait anymore. Modern paints and clear coats don't need a waiting period anymore. I still waited 30 days just in case.
My take on this is, that, this Body Shop owner
recognized the nuances of the specific painting
products his Shop used on/for your vehicle’s
respray...not as an endorsement for any or all
other Body Shops’ painting products/nuances.

Bob

57Rambler
05-05-2020, 06:08 PM
Today’s paints cure quickly from a chemical reaction.

Thanks to catalysts ...

Don M
05-06-2020, 12:33 AM
I asked the same question to my body shop when I had the Camaro fixed. I picked it up last Monday and he said since they had baked the paint for a few hours, I could do "anything I wanted to it" on Saturday. Of course I didn't (weather didn't cooperate) but I would feel better waiting another week or two (or until the weather finally cooperates on my days off) which will probably amount to the same amount of time ... or longer the way this Spring? is going