PDA

View Full Version : Pad cleaning?

Pages : [1] 2

soapboxpreacher
04-29-2020, 08:35 AM
How and what do you use for pad cleaning? And is it worth it or dump the pads when you are done?

soapboxpreacher
04-29-2020, 08:38 AM
Oh and do you need a dedicated pad cleaning solutions or can something I have around the house to clean these?

Hermes1
04-29-2020, 11:00 AM
I like the powder versions that are mixed with water so I can soak the pads as they become loaded, then scrub them with a pad brush when done. The ones I have used are McKee's & Blackfire which have worked well. Also after thoroughly scrubbing and rinsing, I throw them in the washing machine.

Dr Oldz
04-29-2020, 12:29 PM
I don’t care for any powdered type cleaner. Problem is that powders don’t always dissolve properly. That can create a problem next time you buff if one of those particles get dislodged from the pad.

I use an APC with a nylon pad conditioning brush with lots of free flowing water followed by a trip in the washing machine. Finally followed by drying on a rack velcro side up.

ducksfan
04-29-2020, 03:07 PM
D-limonene @ 10 percent.

So, however you buy it, dilute it with distilled water to get a 10 percent solution. I have had great results with Citra-solv (probably 90 percent d-limonene) . But, usually I use Citra-Blast (50 percent d-limonene) because you don't need the quality of a citra-solv type product to clean pads. You do have to shake Citra-Blast prior to use. But, that's really no big deal.

You can use pad cleaner (or IPA ?) as a final step if you don't trust leaving possible d-limonene residue in your pads.

Keep in mind, a product like this is probably only needed if a type of sealer is in the pads. Compounds and polishes can be cleaned with a lot cheaper products.

custmsprty
04-29-2020, 05:36 PM
I dump mine in the HE washing machine on a long cycle with steam. I pre-spray with an APC and toss them in. I use 3D Towel Kleen.

They come out good as new.

Yeah, the machine smells like car products after but I then run the same cycle with Tide washer cleaner and all is good. Been doing it this way for years.

PaulMys
04-29-2020, 05:44 PM
I spray mine with McKee's polishing pad cleaner, agitate with a stiff brush, then plop them in a bucket of 3D Towel Kleen solution until I'm all done polishing.

After that, they come clean in the sink with little effort.

Ed Abbondanzio
04-29-2020, 06:46 PM
I've had good results with Blackfire's pad cleaner. The smell is harsh but it's the only thing I've found that'll remove HD speed. I spray it on, and let it soak for a few minutes then wash them by hand under hot water.

Whipped500
04-30-2020, 08:35 AM
Is there a product that works on microfiber towels as well as the foam pads?

I see custmsprty and PaulMys use the 3D towel clean but it's not the only product. I'm a weekend warrior and trying not to have a bunch of products is why I ask. I was wondering if one could get away with just the 3d towel clean but would need a little extra effort with the pads when using it?

nrengle
04-30-2020, 10:52 AM
Of note, I tried a way to dry my pads quickly over the weekend. Air fluff in my dryer on the drying rack. Just blows room temp airnover them. 45 minutes later all 6 pads I had in there were dry. Even put them back on the rotary at full speed to see if any water would fly off, nothing.

Hermes1
04-30-2020, 01:18 PM
I don’t care for any powdered type cleaner. Problem is that powders don’t always dissolve properly. That can create a problem next time you buff if one of those particles get dislodged from the pad.

I use an APC with a nylon pad conditioning brush with lots of free flowing water followed by a trip in the washing machine. Finally followed by drying on a rack velcro side up.

While it is true what you say, one just has to insure the powder is fully dissolved and not too difficult to do with hot water and thorough agitation. I have used powder pad cleaners for years and never had a problem.

Dr Oldz
04-30-2020, 01:32 PM
While it is true what you say, one just has to insure the powder is fully dissolved and not too difficult to do with hot water and thorough agitation. I have used powder pad cleaners for years and never had a problem.

I’d rather take zero chance of scratching paint. Feel free to use your own method but I prefer to take every precaution to remove potential issues that can harm paint. Takes a while to buff paint out but only seconds to scratch it back up to roughly quote Mike Phillips.

Hermes1
04-30-2020, 06:44 PM
I’d rather take zero chance of scratching paint. Feel free to use your own method but I prefer to take every precaution to remove potential issues that can harm paint. Takes a while to buff paint out but only seconds to scratch it back up to roughly quote Mike Phillips.

To each his own of course, but consider on another pad cleaning thread, of two products Mike Phillips recommends, one is a powdered product. I think your point would be better stated and helpful to others is to point out the potential for scratching the paint if not properly dissolved. I have found the Blackfire Advanced pad cleaner Mike Phillips recommends dissolves easily and quickly and has never left any scratches on the paint.

Dr Oldz
04-30-2020, 07:16 PM
To each his own of course, but consider on another pad cleaning thread, of two products Mike Phillips recommends, one is a powdered product. I think your point would be better stated and helpful to others is to point out the potential for scratching the paint if not properly dissolved. I have found the Blackfire Advanced pad cleaner Mike Phillips recommends dissolves easily and quickly and has never left any scratches on the paint.

There are always a few ways to skin a cat. I just wanted to share my thought process and explain why. It doesn’t necessarily mean my method is proper or right. Doesn’t mean you process is wrong, so please don’t feel I was bashing your method.

PaulMys
04-30-2020, 07:34 PM

There are always a few ways to skin a cat. I just wanted to share my thought process and explain why. It doesn’t necessarily mean my method is proper or right. Doesn’t mean you process is wrong, so please don’t feel I was bashing your method.

You are both right, but watch out Dr. :

If Bruce comes at us with that big a$$ Dually Ram, we will all be in trouble. ;)