PDA

View Full Version : WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Pages : [1] 2

bcgreen
04-28-2020, 06:30 PM
I've been doing some reading on applying the product but I don't see where I have to remove my glaze before applying the sealant. I have some occasional surface marring and I wanted to run over the entire vehicle with Meguiars 205 before applying the sealant.

Bruno Soares
04-28-2020, 06:55 PM
You don’t need a glaze, go straight from M205 to the Wolfgang sealant. If you want to improve the bond, you can chemically strip the paint with a panel wipe like CarPro Eraser just because M205 is on the oily side. With M205 you shouldn’t need a glaze to hide defects.

PaulMys
04-28-2020, 06:56 PM
I've been doing some reading on applying the product but I don't see where I have to remove my glaze before applying the sealant. I have some occasional surface marring and I wanted to run over the entire vehicle with Meguiars 205 before applying the sealant.

Running the 205 over the entire vehicle will remove whatever product you have applied previously.

I would say to clay, 205, then you should be ready to rock the WG.

bcgreen
04-28-2020, 07:08 PM
I would say to clay, 205, then you should be ready to rock the WG.

That's the plan, with the claying having been done this morning.

briarpatch
04-28-2020, 07:11 PM
You will love WDGPS.....easy to use, great durability

PaulMys
04-28-2020, 07:11 PM
That's the plan, with the claying having been done this morning.

Then once you get done with the 205, you will have have effectively stripped your paint.

I have not used 205 personally, but as Bruno mentioned above, if it is an oily polish you might benefit from a panel wipe before applying the WG.

bcgreen
04-28-2020, 07:59 PM
Then once you get done with the 205, you will have have effectively stripped your paint.

I have not used 205 personally, but as Bruno mentioned above, if it is an oily polish you might benefit from a panel wipe before applying the WG.

That's what I wanted to know - to wipe the panels before applying WG. I guess I will use my IPA.

PaulMys
04-28-2020, 08:14 PM
That's what I wanted to know - to wipe the panels before applying WG. I guess I will use my IPA.

Grab some 3D or Griot's polish in the future, and you won't have to wipe before applying the WG. ;)

FUNX650
04-28-2020, 08:17 PM
That's what I wanted to know - to wipe
the panels before applying WG.

I guess I will use my IPA.
•Nope. Not necessary. At. All.

-That’s what I call working backwards (<—MP).
Even more so when using IPA as the panel wipe!

•WDGPS has never required “squeaky-clean”
panels prior to its application.

Bob

bcgreen
04-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Grab some 3D or Griot's polish in the future, and you won't have to wipe before applying the WG. ;)

Which GG polish?

bcgreen
04-29-2020, 09:10 AM
•Nope. Not necessary. At. All.

-That’s what I call working backwards (<—MP).
Even more so when using IPA as the panel wipe!

•WDGPS has never required “squeaky-clean”
panels prior to its application.

Bob

Interesting how there is not a consensus.

Bruno Soares
04-29-2020, 01:49 PM
Interesting how there is not a consensus.

You don't have to use a panel wipe. We just said that if you use an oily polish you may want to use a panel wipe to ensure the bonding is good. But either way the sealant is not just going to slide off the paint onto the floor. It may last a month less? Nobody knows. I think many people started doing panel wipes to ensure maximum adhesion and maximum durability of whatever the product is. I think the only product that actually tells you a panel wipe is a must is a ceramic coating and even those say it's optional if you use a primer before coating.

bcgreen
04-29-2020, 06:30 PM
You don't have to use a panel wipe. We just said that if you use an oily polish you may want to use a panel wipe to ensure the bonding is good. But either way the sealant is not just going to slide off the paint onto the floor. It may last a month less? Nobody knows. I think many people started doing panel wipes to ensure maximum adhesion and maximum durability of whatever the product is. I think the only product that actually tells you a panel wipe is a must is a ceramic coating and even those say it's optional if you use a primer before coating.

I have Meguairs Speed Glaze, this should be even less of an issue than the 205?

Bruno Soares
04-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Yes but a glaze will not fix the scratches, it will hide them for a very short period of time. Using a polish is a smarter way of making the car look better.

PaulMys
04-29-2020, 06:53 PM
Or get some Griot's Correcting Cream and ease your mind with the polish oils.

Better yet, WG Total Swirl Remover if you like to "Synergize". :)