PDA

View Full Version : PC Back Plate Question

waldron80
03-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Question,

Currently with my PC I am using the 5" back plate with my 6.5 LC pads. At first I get great action and the buffing works great. After some time the pad gets a little soiled and then a fine line is created between how much pressure I put on the PC that makes it bog down. I then don't even feel like I am pushing on the PC very much at all. It appears that with the 5" back plate and the 6.5" pads that the pad wraps itself around the plate and some uneven pressure is created that causes things not to work so well. SOOOOOOO, my queation is does the 6" back plate correct my issue?

Thanks much!
Feed back please

vinnier6
03-25-2008, 08:20 AM
i would say use a 5" pad or a smaller backing plate...if your pc is having trouble pushing the 6.5" pad, a bigger backing plate isnt going to sove that problem....

budman3
03-25-2008, 08:42 AM
A PC will have no problems using a large pad. In fact, my go to pads are 7.5" Lake Country pads. A 6" backing plate will help the issue of pad warping since it'll come closer to the edge of the pad. From your description is sounds like you may be able to get by using less polish and brushing or wiping the pad after every panel or two. Keeping the pad clean and free of excess buildup will make things work a lot better. To clean a pad on the fly you can get a pad conditioner brush or simply take a terry cloth towel and literally wipe off the excess product on the pad. The more polish in and on the pad, the heavier it is, the less effective it'll be. Also, keeping the pad flat is important to keep the machine from bogging down. So the flatter the pad on the surface, the more effective it'll be.

Just FWIW, what speed were you using Waldron80?

waldron80
03-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I run the PC on 5 or 6, but after a while I have to run at 5 bc at six the pad starts warping pretty bad and I don't get good rotation. I also make sure that I keep the pad as flat as possible while polishing. I just want to get the same rotation from the 6.5 pads as I do the 5.5 pads but don't won't to spend the 20 bucks for the back plate if it won't make a difference.