PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate John Deere scratches

Brad Bruggeman
04-25-2020, 05:40 PM
Anyone ever tried to get scratches out of body panels of a John Deere lawnmower or compact tractor? Not sure if it's painted or if the color is solid throughout the panel and it is polished to get it to shine? I have tried Blackfire One Step,not much difference. Then tried Griots Fast Correcting Cream with Griots '3' random orbit and their white pad. Little better but not the results I was expecting. Any body got any experience working with this stuff that can give me any insight?

Eric7810
04-26-2020, 07:09 AM
Depends on the tractor. Most 98-08 JD mowers were given plastic hoods.

What model lawn mower is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad Bruggeman
04-26-2020, 12:43 PM
530x I believe. It's only 3 years old. Maybe I didn't describe it correctly but I know it's some kind of plastic. I am considering purchasing a JD compost tractor so I thought I would use his mower as a test to know how to maintain the finish of my tractor since I know they use the same material for their hoods. So far what I have tried has not worked but I am using the same techniques that I use on a painted vehicle.

PaulMys
04-26-2020, 04:48 PM
If it is plastic, you are stuck with the scratches. I have plastic panels on my little TB-30 rider, and when they get scratches, they are there forever.

You cannot polish (abrade) any kind of plastic the way you can with car paint.

briarpatch
04-26-2020, 05:14 PM
I've got them on my lawn tractor, and they're not going away. As long as I keep it clean and shiny, I'm happy

57Rambler
04-26-2020, 06:14 PM
Not sure if it's painted or if the color is solid throughout the panel and it is polished to get it to shine?

Most plastic parts employ molded-in color and their surface finish is affected by the surface finish on the tooling used, temp and speed of the molding process, and also the material characteristics of the plastic used. In this case I would guess that the panel is made from SMC, and when molding SMC, an in-mold coating is often employed when a high-grade surface finish is desired.

PaulMys
04-26-2020, 06:23 PM
Most plastic parts employ molded-in color and their surface finish is affected by the surface finish on the tooling used, temp and speed of the molding process, and also the material characteristics of the plastic used. In this case I would guess that the panel is made from SMC, and when molding SMC, an in-mold coating is often employed when a high-grade surface finish is desired.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200426/d20c2d2ae3b6f55fa2f8804208fb67d1.jpg

Check out the big brain on Brad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57Rambler
04-26-2020, 06:46 PM
Check out the big brain on Brad!

38+ years' experience in manufacturing will tend to make your brain swell.

Be glad the topic wasn't fourslide machines or feinblanking ... :)

PaulMys
04-26-2020, 06:50 PM
Be glad the topic wasn't fourslide machines or feinblanking ... :)

Well now you owe us a few new threads. Enquiring minds (and mine) need to know. ;)

Mike Phillips
04-27-2020, 08:03 AM
Any body got any experience working with this stuff that can give me any insight?

I've tried to buff out this same type of material on dirt bikes and quads - no go.

It's a material that simply doesn't like to be abraded with the end results looking good or looking original. (that's 2 things)

I think I talk about this in my article here,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/104333-what-means-remove-scratch-out-anything.html)

Hat's off to you for trying though....

:)

Brad Bruggeman
04-27-2020, 07:24 PM
I've tried to buff out this same type of material on dirt bikes and quads - no go.

It's a material that simply doesn't like to be abraded with the end results looking good or looking original. (that's 2 things)

I think I talk about this in my article here,

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/104333-what-means-remove-scratch-out-anything.html)

Hat's off to you for trying though....

Yes,your article makes sense but it's a hard pill for a detailer to swallow. Hard to accept it but I have no choice. BUT is there technique or product that will conceal it or mask it to give it a better appearance?

PaulMys
04-27-2020, 07:29 PM
Yes,your article makes sense but it's a hard pill for a detailer to swallow. Hard to accept it but I have no choice. BUT is there technique or product that will conceal it or mask it to give it a better appearance?

If the scratches are very shallow, any kind of wax with fillers will "mask" the appearance slightly.

57Rambler
04-27-2020, 09:50 PM

Not only that, but if it's an SMC panel we're talking about, "abrading" the surface will expose the mold release agent which is actually embedded throughout the material. And that opens up an even bigger can of worms ... a lot of things will not adhere to the surface once the mold release agent is exposed.

The suggested method for repairing a scratch in SMC is to use an epoxy resin/filler (polyester-based resins will not adhere) to fill the scratch(es) and then to repaint the panel using an epoxy primer followed by an appropriate catalyzed paint. Depending on the depth of the scratch(es), the epoxy primer may be enough to fill them ?

FUNX650
04-27-2020, 10:10 PM
Yes,your article makes sense but it's a
hard pill for a detailer to swallow.
Hard to accept it but I have no choice.

BUT is there technique or product that
will conceal it or mask it to give it a
better appearance?
Evercoat has a polyester-based SMC resin
that is used for repair of both SMC and
fiberglass panels/parts. A must-have in
many body shops.

Bob

Mike Phillips
04-28-2020, 06:22 AM
Yes,your article makes sense but it's a hard pill for a detailer to swallow. Hard to accept it but I have no choice.

Never any fun being the bearer of bad news.

BUT is there technique or product that will conceal it or mask it to give it a better appearance?

Wipe it down with some WD40.