PDA

View Full Version : Prep before Ceramic?

Jfmoore79
04-24-2020, 08:26 PM
When I purchased a gently used 2016 Camaro SS for a weekend toy I immediately ordered the Forum Favorite kit and followed the wash, clay, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG, and Pinnacle Soveran wax. All applied with a Porter Cable 7424. Although I loved the results it was quite time consuming and I still reapplied the wax a couple times a year. I think I want to give a DIY ceramic coating a try. My questions are what is the correct prep before applying? Should/Could I use the Klasse products and then ceramic? I have plan to clay and polish to remove the little imperfections that exist but want to be sure I do it right.

I have searched the forum but was mainly focusing on the Klasse products. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Klasse Act
04-24-2020, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't top KSG with anything but a 2nd coat of KSG 12 hrs after the 1st coat, will give the paid "candy apple" look but make sure you prep the paint real well, KAIO isn't going to really correct too much as it isn't abrasive enough but is perfect to use before the 1st coat of KSG[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Guz
04-24-2020, 09:02 PM
If you are going to apply a ceramic coating then no to KAIO. A coating should only bond to bare paint or a primer polish dedicated to a coating. What coating are you looking into?

The typical recommendation for a ceramic coating is:

Wash
Chemical decontamination (iron remover)
Mechanical decontamination (clay)
Polish
Prep wipe
Coating

Mike put a lot of good information in this thread.

A few newbie questions on CSL application for the first time! (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/126202-few-newbie-questions-csl-application-first-time.html)

If you want to stick with Klasse products then stick with KAIO and KSG.

Welcome to AGO.

Jfmoore79
04-25-2020, 07:33 AM
Thanks! I seemed like an AIO would leave a coating that would need removed prior to ceramic so I’m glad to know now to look at a polish only. I wasnt thinking about the iron remover so that will be on my list to order.