PDA

View Full Version : First time poster! Need advice on cleaning black trailer

Deke08
04-24-2020, 02:10 PM
Hello AGO members. I've been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot of valuable information. Thanks to all who share their wisdom and experience.

As for me, I have no detailing experience whatsoever...lol. The more I read and watch videos, I'm really wanting to try my hand at it. After joining this group, I made my first purchase consisting of a Porter Cable DA, pads and some M105 and M205.

I decided to clean up my Homesteader EZ Rider 7x14 enclosed trailer. It stays in the garage full time so it's in fairly decent condition. I started watching videos on how to clean the diamond plate on the front panel. After completing that, I cleaned and polished all the other aluminum and metal trim all the way around. I also applied some Nu Finish wax I had in the shop(by hand) and am very happy with the way it turned out.

Then there is the front panel...ugh. This stain has been there for years....and shame on me for not addressing it when it happened. From what I remember, it was a soda or alcoholic drink that was splashed on the panel. It has always bothered me, but now that I have done so much work on the trailer, I really want to try to get this looking better.

I have read about how thin the paint is on these trailers. I have tried scrubbing and rubbing with all kinds of different chemicals, but nothing is working. So, I decided to see if I could sand it out. I used a 2000 grit abralon pad(by hand) and it did remove some of the stain.

My question is....how should I proceed? Should I continue to sand the stained area, and then try the compound and polish? Or should I wait for my kit to arrive and try the PC with the M205 and see if that works? I do have more abralon pads up to 4000 grit if that makes a difference.

Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated!

Mike Phillips
04-24-2020, 03:45 PM
I'd wait for the kit and the polish.

My experience with these types of trailers is the paint is very THIN.

And... welcome to AutogeekOnline!

:welcome:

Deke08
04-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike. Here is a photo of the kit that I bought. What pad would you suggest I start with?....and would you use the 105 or the 205?

57Rambler
04-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike. Here is a photo of the kit that I bought. What pad would you suggest I start with?....and would you use the 105 or the 205?

Normally you would use M105 first, followed by the M205 as per Meguiars design intention.

Since you are dealing with thin paint, Mike's rule of thumb ---> Always do a test spot first carries even more weight. Start with the M205 and see what happens.