PDA

View Full Version : 90% alchol alternative & Ford Touchup paint

MilesTeg
04-24-2020, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I have decided to kill some apocalypse time by learning how to do rock chip and minor scratch repair with by hand (not using something like Dr. Color chip but busting out the touch up paint and sandpaper. I have a perfect candidate for some practice, a hail damaged car that I am going to have fixed/repainted sometime in the nearish future.

However, during the apocalypse it's a bit difficult to get 90% isopropyl and my local dealers are only open for repairs so I can't get touch up paint from them and ford doesn't sell direct.

So, I am hoping to get some advice on what I can use to prep the area given that 90%IPA is unobtanium right now AND I am looking for a reputable online seller of late model Ford touch up paints.

Mike Phillips
04-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Hi,

I have decided to kill some apocalypse time

I like that,

Apocalypse Time

Kind of like Miller Time, but more serious and of course, pick a much better beer.

:)

So, I am hoping to get some advice on what I can use to prep the area given that 90%IPA is unobtanium right now AND I am looking for a reputable online seller of late model Ford touch up paints.

Just about any quality solvent will work.

Everclear Grain Alcohol
Quality Tequila, Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, Rum, Bourbon etc.
Fingernail Polish Remover - check with the wife or girlfriend, or mom?
Mineral Spirits
Glass Cleaner

MilesTeg
04-24-2020, 01:20 PM
I like that,

Apocalypse Time

Kind of like Miller Time, but more serious and of course, pick a much better beer.

=)

Just about any quality solvent will work.

Everclear Grain Alcohol
Quality Tequila, Vodka, Rum, Whiskey, Rum, Bourbon etc.
Fingernail Polish Remover - check with the wife or girlfriend, or mom?
Mineral Spirits
Glass Cleaner

Is acetone more concentrated that in nail polish remover suitable? I have cans of acetone I use for various other cleaning tasks. Will that be to strong for auto paint?

Otherwise I can bust out my single malt, heh

Mike Phillips
04-24-2020, 01:46 PM
=)

Is acetone more concentrated that in nail polish remover suitable? I have cans of acetone I use for various other cleaning tasks. Will that be to strong for auto paint?

Otherwise I can bust out my single malt, heh

I made a video once with Dan McCool - owner of Dr. Color Chip, and in one of the videos he stated that acetone can be used to remove other touch-up paints from other touch-up paint manufactures. It's a common problem.

I don't remember which video, but one of the videos you'll find here.

Dr. ColorChip How-To Videos with Dan McCool and Mike Phillips - CompetitionReadyTV.com and Autogeek.com (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/102097-dr-colorchip-how-videos-dan-mccool-mike-phillips-competitionreadytv-com-autogeek-com.html)

If it were me? I'd use it but I would be smart. I would take a clean cloth and dab the area I want to clean and call it good. I wouldn't let it dwell as solvents are solvents for a reason. But with common sense I think you would be okay.