PDA

View Full Version : DIY Tire Scrubber

nrengle
04-22-2020, 10:15 AM
So being bored, and after reading a few things, Mike's review of the Mighty Mini Polisher (tire scrubber) got me thinking. I made a brush attachment a few years ago for my drill to scrub some stubborn grout lines. So wondered if I could adapt it for cleaning old tire dressing and such off my tires. I'm gonna give it a shot in tomorrow when my order comes with some supplies I need. But for now here's how I made it.

One carriage bolt
2 lock washers
1 flat washer
2 1/2 nuts.
1 Oxo Goodgrips Soap Dispensing Palm Brush Refills

.69323 69324 69325 69326 6932769328

I'll report back later with how well it worked. But when I used it to clean grout a few years ago (the brush head is new, don't worry), it did the trick, so I'm gonna be careful with these tires and see what the brush does.

GOD I'M BORED!!!!

Mike Phillips
04-22-2020, 10:46 AM
If you're using a cordless drill - looks good.

If you're using a CORDED drill, just remember to be careful when using electric tools around water.

I've been shocked doing this with corded tools so that's why now that we have cordless options - I no longer show corded options.

:)

nrengle
04-22-2020, 11:05 AM
Cordless only not to worry. I've been zapped by water on a metal drum riser before, don't want to feel that again. I'd put it worse than actually being set on fire (part of the show at that time).

nrengle
04-23-2020, 08:48 AM
So I used my DIY Scrubber yesterday after getting some tire and wheel cleaner. It worked pretty well. So what I did was made up a bucket of soapy water with the Griots Foaming Surface Wash and threw my wheel brushes in there. I used the scrubber on my 18v drill full torque on low speed as it was a bit easier to control. I used the Meg's non-acid tire and wheel cleaner to help. So first up sprayed the wheel and wheel well. Sprayed on the cleaner, and let sit for about 30 seconds (per the bottle). I then agitated with my brushes clean the wheel well and the rim and lug nuts and rinsed. Then I started to scrub the tire, you can see the amount of gunk that it pulled up off the tire after a rinse. I then rinsed the tire, and used a bit of the soapy water to agitate again, rinsed, and then another spray of the tire cleaner and let it sit this time for about 2 minutes, and one more good scrub with the drill. Rinsed, and one more scrub with the soapy water, rinsed, and then dried with an old towel and my air compressor. This thing cleaned off way more old dressings (all car wash stuff or from the original install on this tire about a year ago) than I ever could with just a brush and elbow grease.

Buster906
04-24-2020, 05:37 AM
Do you feel the Meguiars wheel and tire cleaner performed well at the price?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

nrengle
04-24-2020, 08:03 AM
Do you feel the Meguiars wheel and tire cleaner performed well at the price?

I've been away from detailing for a long time, so I can't compare to other products. But it worked ok. I'm sure on a properly maintained and cleaned vehicle it would be an easy spray, soft scrub, and rinse. On my Outlander though, it's a different story. I travel a lot for work (think 250-300 days a year), so I don't get much time to do anything. Lots of automatic car washes for this since the wife drives it all the time. So it's had a couple years of that tire shine, and whatever was put on at the tire store when we needed new ones. Each tire took about 3-4 applications and scrubbing, along with soap scrubbing between each application. They're not perfect but they're as close as I can get them to what I was hoping to achieve. I'm sure if I went with a more aggressive cleaner it would've been easier, but I went with what was available locally. I'll say this, if I had to do it by hand my shoulder would be killing me a lot more than it is right now.