PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had this interior black trim problem?

spike
04-21-2020, 04:45 PM
So I detailed an SUV today that has black plastic trim. I applied a highly recommended protectant with a microfiber cloth. Everything looked great right after application, but after it dried the black trim looked like it was cloudy and hazy. Wondering if anyone has had this problem? And I'm sorry I do not have pictures.

Eldorado2k
04-21-2020, 05:18 PM
What product was it?

spike
04-21-2020, 05:32 PM
OPP. One of the best! Not blaming the product tho...I'm wondering...maybe I applied it too heavy and didnt even it out enough? The white haze was most noticed on the door trim right below the window.

57Rambler
04-21-2020, 08:19 PM
The white haze was most noticed on the door trim right below the window.

Perhaps it is due to photodegradation of the plastic ?

tryn2shine
04-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Were the MF's clean? I "fogged-up" up my dash-top using an old MF,(but washed), that I had used for final buffing. It looked clean but the drying top coat picked up a residue. I also had used a diluted APC to clean the plastic 1st and did not like the feel/finish & ended up cleaning that off with multiple water only wipe downs. So maybe that contributed to the haze too ???

spike
04-21-2020, 09:21 PM
Yes, this must be it. I used an old but washed microfiber towel, and maybe had product on too thick (even though I sprayed it onto the towel, then wiped). Probably not photo degradation of plastic because this is a fairly new vehicle (2017 I think). But maybe sunlight could have caused it to dry too fast (was not applying in shade). Thanks for all the suggestions. I was just trying to see if anyone had ever had this happen to them, and how I can avoid doing it again on my next details...

Eldorado2k
04-21-2020, 09:28 PM
What is OPP? Besides that old rap song?

Coatingsarecrack
04-22-2020, 03:05 AM

Optimum leather Protectant Plus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spike
04-22-2020, 07:57 AM

Optimum Protectant Plus.