PDA

View Full Version : Reusing DA pads with different product after wash?

ebrammer252
04-19-2020, 11:48 PM
New to DA polishing here, so I apologize if this is a dumb question. I've seen a few people saying that you should have pads dedicated to certain products and not to mix them up. Does this only apply during the same job? I.e. if I wash my pads out, let them dry etc is it okay to use a different product with them than was used on them last?

Thanks!

Rsurfer
04-19-2020, 11:55 PM
No problem, I do it all the time.

Bruno Soares
04-20-2020, 06:18 AM
Only pads I dedicate are the ones I used to apply a sealant as I cannot get them 100% clean and those used for AIO polishes to avoid any cross contamination when I don’t want any wax/sealant left behind and need a regular polish instead.

Mike Phillips
04-20-2020, 06:52 AM
Just to comment...

Dedicated pads happens kind of normally.

You use foam cutting pads primarily with compounds - so they are somewhat dedicated.

Same thinking goes with most pad/product combos.

I can't remember ever using a soft foam finishing pad with a compound but I have shown using them with AIOs.

I would say the MORE important thing is to use great abrasive technology otherwise your pads are contaminated.

Mike Phillips
04-20-2020, 09:49 AM
Just to add....

We have a form member, Jayfro, when he first joined he was having a problem with micro-marring. I sent him a bottle of BLACKFIRE One Step to undo the micro-marring. Here's the link to that thread,

Newb needing some assistance (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/123442-newb-needing-some-assistance.html)

Now let me tie this back to your topic about re-using pads.

When I was assisting Jay, I'm pretty sure over the phone I told him the best approach would be to use NEW foam pads.

Why?

Because if the pores in the foam pads previously used could not be 100% completely washed clean to remove the other product, then he would have the same problem - i.e. micro-marring.

I I think I sent him a free bottle of the BF One Step and a copy of my how-to book, I'm not sure if I also sent him some fresh pads or after talking to Jay and explaining the problem of micro-marring due to contamination, that he then purchased some fresh pads? Either way, the pictures shows new pads.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190614/b7039f54ec3dbc146845b3f94a8918c2.jpg

And then in you read through to post #30 - you can see that the combination of the product and clean pads fixed the paint.

SO - when talking about re-using pads - I do it all the time but I start by only using products I trust to utilize great abrasive technology in the first place. That way there's no problems even if 100% of whatever I was using the last time I used a set of pads doesn't 100% wash out of the pads.

Make sense?

:)

ebrammer252
04-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Makes perfect sense Mike! I'll be using mostly Meguiar's products, namely M105/M205/Ultimate Compound/M21/Ultimate Liquid Wax. I do have a bottle of 3D HD Speed I'm dying to try out as well though! I would assume all of these fall in the "great abrasive" technology spectrum?

Jayfro
04-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Just to add....

We have a form member, Jayfro, when he first joined he was having a problem with micro-marring. I sent him a bottle of BLACKFIRE One Step to undo the micro-marring. Here's the link to that thread,

Newb needing some assistance (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101-a/123442-newb-needing-some-assistance.html)

Now let me tie this back to your topic about re-using pads.

When I was assisting Jay, I'm pretty sure over the phone I told him the best approach would be to use NEW foam pads.

Why?

Because if the pores in the foam pads previously used could not be 100% completely washed clean to remove the other product, then he would have the same problem - i.e. micro-marring.

I I think I sent him a free bottle of the BF One Step and a copy of my how-to book, I'm not sure if I also sent him some fresh pads or after talking to Jay and explaining the problem of micro-marring due to contamination, that he then purchased some fresh pads? Either way, the pictures shows new pads.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190614/b7039f54ec3dbc146845b3f94a8918c2.jpg

And then in you read through to post #30 - you can see that the combination of the product and clean pads fixed the paint.

SO - when talking about re-using pads - I do it all the time but I start by only using products I trust to utilize great abrasive technology in the first place. That way there's no problems even if 100% of whatever I was using the last time I used a set of pads doesn't 100% wash out of the pads.

Make sense?

And I will always be in debt to you and the rest of the AGO'ers for the help. I can't say enough great things about about BF One Step, it is a fabulous product, heck I even buffed my glass shower last weekend using BF One Step and a LC Orange Pad, cleaned up the ultra-hard water spots very quickly....using two pads, one per panel!

I'll be breaking it out again in the next 3-4 weeks when it's time to clean up my car.

Jay

Mike Phillips
04-24-2020, 10:05 AM
Makes perfect sense Mike! I'll be using mostly Meguiar's products, namely M105/M205/Ultimate Compound/M21/Ultimate Liquid Wax. I do have a bottle of 3D HD Speed I'm dying to try out as well though! I would assume all of these fall in the "great abrasive" technology spectrum?

Yes.

The M205 is known to possibly micro-marr softer paints and one of the reasons Meguiar's brought out M210.

But as always - do a TEST SPOT and make sure you're getting the results you hope and dream about in one spot before buffing out the entire car.