PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax application wet or dry?

ERS
04-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Today, for the first time, I used a spray wax that applied while car was wet. Having a black car, I didn't notice any streaks and it was very easy to apply wipe off.

My question is why are some spray waxes used as a drying agent and some are spray when car is dry? Some can be used both ways.

What does the water do to the spray? And, is it normal for the wet application to be easier that applying dry?

Just curious, being first time I used this way and was very pleased at how it worked on the wet car. Thanks.

ERS

acuRAS82
04-18-2020, 09:55 PM
Which spray wax did you use?

Generally, non-streaky, high lubrication Spray waxes and QDs are good for drying aids. A lot of spray sealants fit this mold. In my experience, heavier, older carnauba Spray waxes may not be the best drying aids due to the thick waxy nature that causes streaks (Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax, Megs GC Spray Wax). However, others such as Fuzion Spray Wax (which may streak but is easily wiped off after, consistent with its dry application) Optimum Car Wax and Mckees Fast Wax do well as drying aids. I feel that the newer spray waxes are all made to do well as drying aids due to demands being higher today. Often spray waxes with lower solid content (less thick and “waxy”) are your best drying aids.

If you’re not sure about a specific spray being a good drying aid, first check the online description. If not mentioned, ask on the forum and someone has probably tried it, or you can try yourself and see:

I won’t speak much to SiO2 Spray Sealants or SiO2 QDs being good or bad as drying aids because I rarely use them in this matter. They are expensive and so I prefer to use them as oral performance: dry.

Using a spray as a drying aid generally adds less protection because the product is being diluted by water. This doesn’t mean less shine in all cases, but generally means less-than-maximum protection laid down. On a positive note though, the dilution and the large absorbent drying towel used to wipe make drying aids to be the easiest application for good drying aids. Add in the fact that the rinse water soaks up easier due to the hydrophobic properties of the drying aid thinning out the water droplets, and using a drying aid after a wash can become a win-win if you don’t mind the drying aid properties being on top of your LSP.

People using a spray as a drying aid often use it after every wash which is fairly often and the reduced protection layer down becomes no problem. Dry application takes a bit longer but applies more evenly and zero additional dilution with water means full strength.

PA DETAILER
04-19-2020, 05:14 AM
As mentioned, some are meant to be used as a drying aid on a wet car. Usually to boost the current protection. Duragloss Aquawax is one. TW Hybrid solutions CERMAIC WET WAX is another. The later can be used as a sole protection for the vehicle. Much less labor than hand waxing. I am currently using it to maintain the TW HS Spray coating. And makes drying much faster.

Duragloss Aquawax (AW) #951 (https://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-aquawax--951.html)

Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax - 53410 (https://www.autogeek.net/hybrid-solutions-ceramic-wet-wax-53410.html)

Coatingsarecrack
04-19-2020, 07:40 AM
I think it has to do with dilution. If it is meant to be dry and you spray on a wet car it gets more diluted end ends up in your towel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ERS
04-19-2020, 08:56 AM
Since the product that I used is not supported by AG I will not mention it. I was just asking in general, using any brand of spray wax, are wet applications normal better/less streaky than dry? Thanks.

acuRAS82
04-19-2020, 03:06 PM
Since the product that I used is not supported by AG I will not mention it. I was just asking in general, using any brand of spray wax, are wet applications normal better/less streaky than dry? Thanks.

It’s hard to say, generally. So many different options.

You’re able to mention a name of something else, just can’t heavily promote or link to buying it. Moderators are pretty logical here. But your call.