PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby: Wax Polish Remover - Need Help

Hermes1
04-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Normally I have used a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol after polishing and before applying a wax or sealant, so when I ordered the supplies I was out of for my full detail project before the corona virus, I did not order a wax polisher remover. Now with the Corona virus in full swing isopropyl alcohol has been impossible to get. I have been to Napa and O'Reilley Auto parts and they only have 1-gallon units. Looking for any suggestions on what substitutes might be available, if any. Signed Desperate

PaulMys
04-18-2020, 07:16 PM
What polish are you using, Brucemeister?

FUNX650
04-18-2020, 08:30 PM
Normally I have used a 50/50 mixture of
isopropyl alcohol after polishing and
before applying a wax or sealant...

Now with the Corona virus in full swing
isopropyl alcohol has been impossible to get.
I have been to Napa and O'Reilley Auto parts
and they only have 1-gallon units.

Looking for any suggestions on what
substitutes might be available, if any.
Signed Desperate
Dear Desperate,

•From all my decades of detailing vehicles,
it has become perfectly clear to me that:
-Unless the Wax or Sealant specifically calls
for a panel wipe-down before it’s applied, it
is not a necessary component of the overall
LSP’ing process.
-{In fact: I consider it to be (to paraphrase
Mr. Mike Phillips) working backwards.}

•Therefore, IMO:
-Finding an IPA substitute in order to perform
panel wipe-downs for this particular scenario
is a bootless errand.

Best Regards,

A.b.(o)b.y.

Hermes1
04-18-2020, 08:38 PM
What polish are you using, Brucemeister?

I am giving the GG Boss a try sir Paul.

Dear Desperate,

•From all my decades of detailing vehicles,
it has become perfectly clear to me that:
-Unless the Wax or Sealant specifically calls
for a panel wipe-down before it’s applied, it
is not a necessary component of the overall
LSP’ing process.
-{In fact: I consider it to be (to paraphrase
Mr. Mike Phillips) working backwards.}

•Therefore, IMO:
-Finding an IPA substitute in order to perform
panel wipe-downs for this particular scenario
is a bootless errand.

Best Regards,

A.b.(o)b.y.

Thank you sir. I had been under the understanding it was necessary to remove any residual polishing oils t get the best application results from any waxes or sealants. I am so glad to know this may not be necessary as I would like to get this done tomorrow.

PaulMys
04-18-2020, 08:43 PM
I am giving the GG Boss a try sir Paul.

Thank you sir. I had been under the understanding it was necessary to remove any residual polishing oils t get the best application results from any waxes or sealants. I am so glad to know this may not be necessary as I would like to get this done tomorrow.

You'll be impressed with the GG Creams, Bruce.

Not "oily" in the least, and I have used them several times. No panel wipe, and straight to any sealant/wax combo has never been a problem as Bob stated above.

What sealant or wax are you applying?

Hermes1
04-19-2020, 09:41 AM
I have some GG Liquid Gloss Poly Wax on hand, so I will use it. Has given me good results before. Next time Boss sealant.

PaulMys
04-19-2020, 04:45 PM
I have some GG Liquid Gloss Poly Wax on hand, so I will use it. Has given me good results before. Next time Boss sealant.

Let us know how it turns out, Bruce. :)

Hermes1
04-19-2020, 05:16 PM
It is working great Paul. Almost done this old man has to take a break, so finish up tomorrow. You and Funx650 were spot on, no need to wipe down after polishing, the Boss correcting cream exhibited no dust or oils. I polished and wxed 2/3rds of my big dually and very happy with the results, but I always have very good results with GG. The GG Liquid Poly Gloss is so easy to apply and wipe off and it has made my 5-year old truck look like new again, quite a feat considering I have been on the road a lot and have not been able to keep up my usual regiment. Thank you guys for the answer to my question.

PaulMys
04-19-2020, 05:24 PM
It is working great Paul. Almost done this old man has to take a break, so finish up tomorrow. You and Funx650 were spot on, no need to wipe down after polishing, the Boss correcting cream exhibited no dust or oils. I polished and wxed 2/3rds of my big dually and very happy with the results, but I always have very good results with GG. The GG Liquid Poly Gloss is so easy to apply and wipe off and it has made my 5-year old truck look like new again, quite a feat considering I have been on the road a lot and have not been able to keep up my usual regiment. Thank you guys for the answer to my question.

Great to hear, Bruce. :)