PDA

View Full Version : Polishing in sub 50F ambient?

noorth
04-17-2020, 09:51 PM
Hi Folks, has anyone tried to polish using sonax PF at around 40F ambient?

I've been doing all kinds of planning and bought cutmax + CQUK3 for my first paint correction in 2 weeks before i realized it won't be warm enough!

I just had the idea to start my engine to warm up the hood? To at least do the hood. What about a heat gun?

Geez whiz!

acuRAS82
04-17-2020, 11:55 PM
I’ve polished in well below 50, but I don’t think colder than 40. No real issues, the polish worked long enough, wasn’t drying up right away. Results were fine.

Do your test spot with Sonax and see if it dries up quickly. I think the heat from the pad spinning helps polishing in cold weather, vs applying sealants and stuff by hand.

noorth
04-18-2020, 01:33 AM
I’ve polished in well below 50, but I don’t think colder than 40. No real issues, the polish worked long enough, wasn’t drying up right away. Results were fine.

Do your test spot with Sonax and see if it dries up quickly. I think the heat from the pad spinning helps polishing in cold weather, vs applying sealants and stuff by hand.

Yeah i'm going to try it, i have nothing to lose. I have lots of time so i might just tape off 2x2 sections and heat them up with a heat gun for 5 min and slowly work my way around the car. I don't care if it takes me 4 or 5 days, 2-3 hours a day. I enjoy working slow anyhow.

UncleDavy
04-18-2020, 08:06 AM
The good thing about polishing in 40 degree weather is that you can polish in direct sunlight and see the results. It also helps me from overheating. I have used HD Cut and HD Polish+ in 40 degree temperatures without any issues.

pilotpip
04-18-2020, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't bother with the heat gun. You may cause more harm than good. As for the cooler weather, your product won't dust as quickly.

acuRAS82
04-18-2020, 09:35 AM
Agree, the heat gun is not needed.

pilotpip
04-18-2020, 09:39 AM
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/106523-14-explorer-sport-mckees-360-a.html?highlight=

There's frost on my roof when I started this one and I don't think I took my fleece off for the duration. And I just noticed the comment about the garage being a mess. It's still a mess and I'm FINALLY getting around to finishing the walls.

noorth
04-18-2020, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys, its 40-50f during the warmest part of the day, couple hours - I think i will be fine. I will just polish the car in 2-4 sessions/days. Which was my plan anyhow. I'll skip on the heat gun.

The pad itself heats up the surface and one person i asked said you might just need a few extra passes compared to hotter temps for equal cut. False alarm!