PDA

View Full Version : micro marring aluminum wheels?

Greg5OH
04-16-2020, 09:14 AM
I am working on a set of older japanese 3 piece wheels, doing a restoration on them.

I am able to get the 800 grit sanding marks out (using it on a rotary sander). But I am not able to get rid of some of these rotary buff lines I introduced.

Using all zephyr brand products. 3000 rpm makita, using brown, green and white rouges on their respective orange, green and white 8" buffs.

Any ideas? Im not able to remove the marring lines using mothers or any other method so far..

:)

Mike Phillips
04-16-2020, 09:19 AM
You know, we had a thread like this in the last month or two, guy was trying to get his aluminum to look like chrome - that is zero fine scratches or marring.

I'll bump the thread to get a clean URL and share it here.

Mike Phillips
04-16-2020, 09:21 AM
Here you go,

Removing very fine scratches in un-coated polished aluminum (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/125720-removing-very-fine-scratches-un-coated-polished-aluminum.html)

See what I wrote in post #3 and #4

It sounds like you're on the right track. Just a little more tweaking of your process.

Greg5OH
04-17-2020, 07:14 AM
Thanks Mike, I spoke with Zephyr's customer service about this last night.
Like with paint, we are trying to just bend the light onto itself to minimize an unwanted reflection by creating very fine scratches that go against each other.
A little easier done with paint as you can typically use a DA and that will have the tiny scratches going in all directions.

Witht he aluminum and machine polishing, a little limited in a small wheel like this as you can do against the grain on the alternating finishing steps. Best is abotu 45-50 degrees across the hook of the wheel. Another thing is the compounds I am using are very good for hard Alcoa semi wheels, which I verified myself, but for this specific aluminum on the japanese wheels its just too abrasive.

I am ordering a few different sets of rouges and also a flannel finishing 10" buff.

Since that last pic I posted, I did another wheel this time spending a good bit more time in the coloring section, and doing a double pass on the finish section. The result was about 50% less micro marring than the posted pic and better clarity.
I am confident that with a finer finishing rouge and towel I will be able to achieve a perfect marr free finish.
Ill post a pic once done.

Mike Phillips
04-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Thanks for updating us Greg. :xyxthumbs:

I am confident that with a finer finishing rouge and towel I will be able to achieve a perfect mar free finish.

As you're finding out, the end results are dependent not only upon the abrasive product but the application material.

Ill post a pic once done.

Please do.

:dblthumb2: