PDA

View Full Version : California duster and ceramics

Pages : [1] 2 3

Neatfreak2000
04-15-2020, 05:42 PM
Ok. So I recognize that touching your car is almost always worse than not touching your car. And putting anything dry against a dry car is the worst...

BUT...

I hear all of this “9H! 10H! Even slight swipes against tree branches don’t scratch my car now that I have ultra spaceforce9000 ceramic coating on it!”

So if these ceramics are so good at protecting against light scratching...shouldn’t a light touch with Microfiber or original California duster be just fine? Are we really to believe that these unbelievable space-age ceramics that are as hard as diamonds would scratch because a microfiber lightly brushed lightly up against it?

/flame on

PaulMys
04-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Ok. So I recognize that touching your car is almost always worse than not touching your car. And putting anything dry against a dry car is the worst...

BUT...

I hear all of this “9H! 10H! Even slight swipes against tree branches don’t scratch my car now that I have ultra spaceforce9000 ceramic coating on it!”

So if these ceramics are so good at protecting against light scratching...shouldn’t a light touch with Microfiber or original California duster be just fine? Are we really to believe that these unbelievable space-age ceramics that are as hard as diamonds would scratch because a microfiber lightly brushed lightly up against it?

/flame on

Coatings or no coatings, I have never subscribed to the idea that lightly touching your paint with a clean, soft MF or duster as you mentioned is that bad.

And if it is, I really haven't seen the evidence. I can't spend all my time worrying about some microscopic swirl I might instill over keeping my paint looking good.

Now if we are talking a Black 1970 Hemi 'Cuda garage queen worth a cool million, then yeah OK.

As for me, I need this hobby to be enjoyable. Otherwise, what's the point? :)

FUNX650
04-15-2020, 06:30 PM
•I don’t allow myself to get all worked-up over
such products’ claims as has been presented.

•Because, after all is said and done, IMO:
-All of the marketing hype that goes into the
selling of “The (Original) California Duster” is
just as believable as all of the marketing hype
that goes into the selling of Ceramic Coatings.

‘Six of one; half dozen of another.’ ~Anonymous

Bob

Neatfreak2000
04-15-2020, 07:04 PM
•I don’t allow myself to get all worked-up over
such products’ claims as has been presented.

•Because, after all is said and done, IMO:
-All of the marketing hype that goes into the
selling of “The (Original) California Duster” is
just as believable as all of the marketing hype
that goes into the selling of Ceramic Coatings.

‘Six of one; half dozen of another.’ ~Anonymous

Bob

So then dusters scratch ceramic coated cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
04-15-2020, 07:24 PM

Any time that any paint with any product is touched, it "scratches" it.

It might be so minuscule, that you cannot discern it without specialty tools.

That being said, don't worry about it!!

All we can do is use the best practices, and live worry free.

JMO>>>>>>

FUNX650
04-15-2020, 07:24 PM

[Let’s see...dusting involves some touching;
dusters touching ceramic coated cars. :grouphug:]

•Ok, I believe I’ve got it:
-Can point-of-care testing (POCT),
officially, ever give a positive result?

Bob

PaulMys
04-15-2020, 07:40 PM
Just to add:

Sometime later this month (hopefully) or more likely in early May, I will be able to grab my GG6, Correcting Cream, LC flat pads, and undo all of the *Catastrophic damage I have so carelessly inflicted over the past year by keeping my paint shiny and protected.

*Meaning my careful washing with multiple mitts, proper drying with drying aids, etc. (Which will still, introduce SOME form of imperfections). OH the horror my truck endures!

Point being: Lighten up on this guys, and have FUN!! (X?) ;)

Billy Baldone
04-15-2020, 08:09 PM
I get the OPs point. Which is why most of the industry has moved to waterless/rinseless washing. It adds a much needed lubricant for removing dust, to minimize the potential damage. Now if we are talking about a self healing coating, a California duster won't really matter

Neatfreak2000
04-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Just to add:

Sometime later this month (hopefully) or more likely in early May, I will be able to grab my GG6, Correcting Cream, LC flat pads, and undo all of the *Catastrophic damage I have so carelessly inflicted over the past year by keeping my paint shiny and protected.

*Meaning my careful washing with multiple mitts, proper drying with drying aids, etc. OH the horror my truck endures!

Point being: Lighten up on this guys, and have FUN!! (X?) ;)

Methinks you are the only one taking it seriously LOL

PaulMys
04-15-2020, 08:21 PM
Methinks you are the only one taking it seriously LOL

Maybe, or maybe just stir-crazy from the Quarantine. ;)

Coatingsarecrack
04-16-2020, 03:11 AM
I use to usr a california car duster on the interior. Wouldn’t use on a coating even if i could. It is still going to be more abrasive than something with a libricant and NO coating is going to give you diamond hardness

acuRAS82
04-16-2020, 03:36 AM
The one upside of the duster vs taking a dry MF against a dry paint surface which horrifies everyone here to imagine... the dusters seem to keep the static charge and “seem” to pick up most dust while barely brushing the surface. Given, I only have daily drivers, the dusters don’t terrify me. I’m with PaulMys on this one. For a DD if you want no microscopic swirls, drive your dirty car around for a year. If you want the car to look nice, you’ll be touching it in some way and if you choose the ease of a duster when the car has slight dust only, I don’t personally think you’ll notice issues... and then eventually you polish and start the swirl-touching process over from scratch again.

With that said, I have 3 dusters which I don’t really use because I’m a wash guy. :)

Neatfreak2000
04-16-2020, 08:14 AM
I use to usr a california car duster on the interior. Wouldn’t use on a coating even if i could. It is still going to be more abrasive than something with a libricant and NO coating is going to give you diamond hardness

Agreed but if a coating can protect from even light swipes from a tree branch as some claim, it should be able to protect from a light touch from a microfiber brush...

acuRAS82
04-16-2020, 10:59 AM
Agreed but if a coating can protect from even light swipes from a tree branch as some claim, it should be able to protect from a light touch from a microfiber brush...

I don’t think most of us believe the “swipes from a tree branch” claim to begin with, or at least I’m speaking for myself.

Coatingsarecrack
04-16-2020, 11:11 AM

Yes it’s protecting your paint. Meaning the coating takes the scratch not your paint. The carduster would micro mar your coating. Your paint would be fine.

It is their to take the lumps for your paint. Doesn’t make it impervious to damage to itself