PDA

View Full Version : 2020 best towel for coating?

2wookies
04-11-2020, 08:59 AM
What is your go to towel for wiping off coatings this year? I was using the orange towels from CQuartz, and washed a few just to see how they’d do....they were good for one more use.

BudgetPlan1
04-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Rag Company edgless 300gsm for first wipe, edgeless 350gsm for final wipe/buff.

300's around $1.xx in bulk, so cheap enough to toss when done and 350's can wash/keep. Seem to work well for applying/buffing toppers, spray waxes, etc.

For some reason, me and really plush towels dont much get along.

2wookies
04-11-2020, 09:15 AM
Rag Company edgless 300gsm for first wipe, edgeless 350gsm for final wipe/buff.

300's around $1.xx in bulk, so cheap enough to toss when done and 350's can wash/keep. Seem to work well for applying/buffing toppers, spray waxes, etc.

For some reason, me and really plush towels dont much get along.

No I hate super plush!!

The Guz
04-11-2020, 12:34 PM
TRC edgeless 300 work very well. The CarPro towels are also really nice.

I’m not entirely sold on the TRC pearl. Seems to load up faster than the above mentioned towels.

2wookies
04-11-2020, 03:27 PM

I’m not entirely sold on the TRC pearl. Seems to load up faster than the above mentioned towels.

Do you toss after use or put in a bucket with solution in it?

The Guz
04-11-2020, 05:10 PM
Do you toss after use or put in a bucket with solution in it?

I have put them in a bucket with Micro Restore and then washed them again with Micro Restore. Depending on the coating some of the towels are not salvageable. The ones that come out ok are no longer used for coating removal on paint. They are relegated for something else.

Ian of Autofiber had some good comments on one of the rag company's recent videos talking about coatings hardening in the towel and that water actually accelerates the hardening process of some coatings. It was an interesting topic listening to him talk about this.

PaulMys
04-11-2020, 05:16 PM
......and that water actually accelerates the hardening process of some coatings.

Hmm..... I wonder if this theory would "hold water" on those coatings freshly applied to paint?

BudgetPlan1
04-11-2020, 05:57 PM

I’m not entirely sold on the TRC pearl. Seems to load up faster than the above mentioned towels.I tried one of those a few months or so ago, didnt like 'em much at all.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Bruno Soares
04-11-2020, 06:27 PM
I really like the Gyeon Bald Wipe for that purpose. It’s expensive so i haven’t tossed them. I soaked while still working and washed them right after coating, they have come out in great shape and I reuse. Haven’t had issues.
I have some TRC Towels that work almost as good when new but they don’t survive the washes quite as well, they quickly have to be downgraded to trim or some other use that isn’t on paint.

The Guz
04-11-2020, 06:43 PM
Starts at 46:30 for about 7-8 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3R_0GWQ7Gk