PDA

View Full Version : IGL premier...how to use

Neatfreak2000
04-06-2020, 07:50 AM
I got an IGL coating on my car and a couple of bottles of premier and enhancer. I’ve been using the enhancer for a QD. What exactly should I be using the premier for? And can I use it OVER a vehicle that’s had premier QD used on it or does it need a wash and decon before?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
04-06-2020, 08:42 AM
I got an IGL coating on my car and a couple of bottles of premier and enhancer. I’ve been using the enhancer for a QD. What exactly should I be using the premier for? And can I use it OVER a vehicle that’s had premier QD used on it or does it need a wash and decon before?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's real simple. Wash and dry car. Use Premier like it's any spray detailer, that is spray onto section of panel, spread around, wipe off.

I would recommend using the 2-towel approach, that is one towel to spread and one towel to wipe-off.

For the towel you use to spread, fold the towel 4-ways and ONLY use one side and use it over and over again until done with car.

Why?

Because you'll waste less product. Once one side is dampened, as you spray fresh product onto a panel, the dampened side will absorb LESS product INTO the towel. If you keep folding the application towel to a fresh, clean DRY side, each time you spray product onto a panel and the press the dry side of a towel against the paint, guess where the product is going to go?

See how I apply PBL Surface Coating here,

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/123681-coated-under-15-minutes-using-pbl-surface-coating.html)

:)

Mike Phillips
04-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Also,

Everyone that will ever work on their own car, be they the car owner or a professional detailer, should read my below article and watch the video.

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/110907-how-why-when-inspect-your-microfiber-towels-when-detailing-cars.html)

Neatfreak2000
04-06-2020, 09:15 AM
It's real simple. Wash and dry car. Use Premier like it's any spray detailer, that is spray onto section of panel, spread around, wipe off.

I would recommend using the 2-towel approach, that is one towel to spread and one towel to wipe-off.

For the towel you use to spread, fold the towel 4-ways and ONLY use one side and use it over and over again until done with car.

Why?

Because you'll waste less product. Once one side is dampened, as you spray fresh product onto a panel, the dampened side will absorb LESS product INTO the towel. If you keep folding the application towel to a fresh, clean DRY side, each time you spray product onto a panel and the press the dry side of a towel against the paint, guess where the product is going to go?

See how I apply PBL Surface Coating here,

Coated under 15 minutes using PBL Surface Coating (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-to-articles-by-mike-phillips/123681-coated-under-15-minutes-using-pbl-surface-coating.html)

Thanks. The bottle says to use precoat or eco clean to prep the surface first?

Mike Phillips
04-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Thanks. The bottle says to use precoat or eco clean to prep the surface first?

Yes, that is correct.

This is an Si02 spray on costing, so prep paint the same way you would for any ceramic coating.

I should have included that after,

wash and dry car

The PreCoat is a very nice panel wipe by the way. We used it at my last 3-day class along with the Premier

Neatfreak2000
04-06-2020, 09:40 AM
Yes, that is correct.

This is an Si02 spray on costing, so prep paint the same way you would for any ceramic coating.

I should have included that after,

wash and dry car

The PreCoat is a very nice panel wipe by the way. We used it at my last 3-day class along with the Premier

So wash dry AND use the precoat?

If I wash it and use enhancer as a drying aid does that mean I CANT then apply premier once it’s dry?

acuRAS82
04-06-2020, 10:33 AM

If I wash it and use enhancer as a drying aid does that mean I CANT then apply premier once it’s dry?

You are using Premier on the coating. The Enhancer QD and Premiere likely contain similar ingredients as the coating and should work synergistically. The Precoat or EcoClean just ensure that oils and grime are off the surface, and maybe even remove parts of Enhancer that would prevent Premier from bonding.

So I wouldn’t worry so much about the science of Premier after Enhancer. Just wash, dry (without Enhancer this one time) then prep and use Premier. You should be fine.

The Guz
04-06-2020, 11:34 AM
If your coating is doing well you can interchange them. The reason pre-coat is stated on the label is if someone wants to use Premier as a stand alone form of protection. You don't need to use pre-coat to use Premier as a maintenance product. As always check with your IGL installer.

Mike Phillips
04-06-2020, 01:23 PM

No.

Two options - depends on you.

OPTION 1

Step 1: Wash and dry your car.

Then do any paint correction you would normally do - OR not do? (I don't know what you normally do?), like,

Step 2: Clay is the paint needs claying
Step 3: Compound if the paint has deep swirls and scratches
Step 4: Polish if you compounded - OR - if you didn't compound but you have shallow swirls and scratches, or just to remove EVERYTHING off the surface before coating.

NOW

Step 5: Use the Precoat to chemically strip the paint - NORMAL PROTOCOL FOR INSTALLING A CERAMIC COATING

Step 6: Now apply the Premier.

Done.

OPTION 2

If your car's paint is perfect, (I rarely come across perfect paint), or if you car's paint has defects but it's not important to you to remove them, you just want a coating on your car's paint.

Then do this,

Step 2: Chemically strip your car's paint - this is where you wipe the car down with the Precoat.
Step 3: Apply the Previer.

Done.

Using the Precoat is it's own DEDICATED step. You don't use it as a drying aid - you use it to ensure the pant is bare-naked clean so there's nothing on the surface to interfere with the bonding of the Premier.

Hope that helps.....

Neatfreak2000
04-06-2020, 01:30 PM
No.

Two options - depends on you.

OPTION 1

Then do any paint correction you would normally do - OR not do? (I don't know what you normally do?), like,

Step 2: Clay is the paint needs claying
Step 3: Compound if the paint has deep swirls and scratches
Step 4: Polish if you compounded - OR - if you didn't compound but you have shallow swirls and scratches, or just to remove EVERYTHING off the surface before coating.

NOW

Step 5: Use the Precoat to chemically strip the paint - NORMAL PROTOCOL FOR INSTALLING A CERAMIC COATING

Step 6: Now apply the Premier.

Done.

OPTION 2

If your car's paint is perfect, (I rarely come across perfect paint), or if you car's paint has defects but it's not important to you to remove them, you just want a coating on your car's paint.

Then do this,

Step 2: Chemically strip your car's paint - this is where you wipe the car down with the Precoat.
Step 3: Apply the Previer.

Done.

Using the Precoat is it's own DEDICATED step. You don't use it as a drying aid - you use it to ensure the pant is bare-naked clean so there's nothing on the surface to interfere with the bonding of the Premier.

Hope that helps.....

My car is coated with IGL ceramic. I certainly don’t want to strip that off. I want to layer on top of it....

So...wash, dry, premier? It was just applied last week.

Mike Phillips
04-06-2020, 01:46 PM
My car is coated with IGL ceramic. I certainly don’t want to strip that off. I want to layer on top of it....

So...wash, dry, premier? It was just applied last week.

Yes.