PDA

View Full Version : I thought "Thin was in".... Maybe not?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MrOneEyedBoh
04-02-2020, 04:15 PM
I thought "Thin was in".... Maybe not?

So this is the first time I get to use my McKees Hi Def Paint Sealant and I was just looking on line for info, tips etc as it was drying and I came across a video from Nick.

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDn1CBqKdM)

Well If you watch how much he uses/applies, his is NOT THIN lol.

I used WAY less.. And Im guessing that I didnt use enough... Should I go back and do another coat, or maybe do another coat tomorrow morning?

Thoughts?

hoyt66
04-02-2020, 05:47 PM
I noticed ppl in how to videos use more than I do. I wonder if its so you really see the application??

Loach
04-02-2020, 07:07 PM
As long as you could see yourself getting good coverage, I'd say you're fine. I have the first formula of Hi Def Paint Sealant, I believe Nick may have updated it since then, but at least for my bottle the sealant is ridiculously easy to apply and remove. You can apply it fairly liberal or nice and thin, it gives me a super clean wipeoff regardless. You can let it sit on the paint for some time before buffing as well, I can do the whole car on the DA and come back and start buffing off and it's never given me issues. Great sealant, I would say in the same family as Power Lock and Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0, great gloss, slickness, and wipeability is top notch.

MrOneEyedBoh
04-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys. I think I may have went a bit thin in some spots, tomorrow AM, I'll just go and throw another coat on. That should be alright in terms of "cross-linking" or whatever lol.

Sizzle Chest
04-02-2020, 07:14 PM
Yep, you will be fine with another coat. I also agree with Loach and hoyt in their posts above.

PaulMys
04-02-2020, 07:20 PM
No advantage in applying any wax or sealant thickly.

Just a waste of product.

How much of the product that adheres to the paint will not change, thick or thin.

Only the amount wasted onto your final wipe towels....... :)

MrOneEyedBoh
04-02-2020, 07:24 PM
No advantage in applying any wax or sealant thickly.

Just a waste of product.

How much of the product that adheres to the paint will not change, thick or thin.

Only the amount wasted onto your final wipe towels....... :)

True for sure, but Im thinking I MAY have missed an area or so. Reason I say is when you wax on you can see the swirls where it applied, some areas looked spotty? Make sense?

PaulMys
04-02-2020, 07:27 PM
True for sure, but Im thinking I MAY have missed an area or so. Reason I say is when you wax on you can see the swirls where it applied, some areas looked spotty? Make sense?

Absolutely.

And a second thin coat is great, just for the reasons you stated.

I was just trying to alleviate your fears of applying it "too thin". :)

MrOneEyedBoh
04-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Absolutely.

And a second thin coat is great, just for the reasons you stated.

I was just trying to alleviate your fears of applying it "too thin". :)

Thanks! lol understood. I noticed on some areas it was good and glided smooth but other felt grabby. Now I would have normally, years ago, applied more heavily but the wholllleee time all I hear is Thin is in... Thin is in. lol. So I usually go TOOO thin...

PaulMys
04-02-2020, 07:41 PM
Thanks! lol understood. I noticed on some areas it was good and glided smooth but other felt grabby. Now I would have normally, years ago, applied more heavily but the wholllleee time all I hear is Thin is in... Thin is in. lol. So I usually go TOOO thin...

Cover it thin, have a beer, and clear your head. ;)

Bruno Soares
04-02-2020, 07:43 PM
That’s why you apply sealants and waxes with the polisher. So much easier to get full coverage while also keeping it thin. And takes very little time to cover the entire car.

pilotpip
04-02-2020, 07:45 PM
A little goes a very long way with hi-def. The only bad thing is it is hard to see when thin. Take a flashlight and bounce it off at an angle to help see it. I'll do this to make sure I don't miss any spots when removing.

MrOneEyedBoh
04-02-2020, 07:50 PM
Cover it thin, have a beer, and clear your head. ;)

Cant! lol

That’s why you apply sealants and waxes with the polisher. So much easier to get full coverage while also keeping it thin. And takes very little time to cover the entire car.

True but its so much quicker on a whim to say whatever, going out with the bottle and a pad...

A little goes a very long way with hi-def. The only bad thing is it is hard to see when thin. Take a flashlight and bounce it off at an angle to help see it. I'll do this to make sure I don't miss any spots when removing.

for sure. honestly loved it and the slickness was crazy. Depending how it performs, I think Im going to start clearing out stuff...

PaulMys
04-02-2020, 08:15 PM

I get the polisher argument, but I respectively disagree. (As I have in other threads, and even Mike P himself would disagree with me).

The polisher application of wax/sealant is GREAT on big panels.

However, I have found that the time it takes to machine apply the product, set the machine down, then hand apply where the machine cannot reach, greatly increases the time spent applying it.

I am confident I can apply a thin layer of wax by my own hand to large, smaller, narrow, and little "Nooks" over a whole vehicle in way less time.

And, there is just that intimacy factor of going over every inch of your prized car or truck by hand.

JMO. Fire away! Lol

Bill D
04-02-2020, 08:19 PM
I agree. I tried applying a LSP by machine once and didn’t like it. Besides, I like to “molest” my paint. He he.