PDA

View Full Version : Constant battle against tar spots on doors.. sealants not working. any tips?

Pages : [1] 2 3

00birdy
03-29-2020, 08:10 PM
Around last October (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/124691-one-step-m105-polish-new-griots-g9-fusion-sport.html?highlight=) I did M105/ orange pad and sealed with Poorboy's EX. I had tar spots all over, up and down the lower half of all four doors. I ended up spending maybe 6-8 hours removing each one by hand with a claybar before I got into the polishing. I invested the time to do it the right way hoping once a good sealant was on there it wouldn't be an issue. Just did my first up close inspection today (maybe 5-6 months later on a garaged car with 5 mile commute) and the doors are all covered in these tar spots again. It takes me a good 2-5 minutes per each speck to remove by hand with the claybar. I'm thinking about just powering through it with the orbital and an abrasive polish again, I don't want to deal with it.

What kind of sealants or waxes can I rely on that will at least help prevent this from happening again? Is there a better removal solution? I don't know if this is from the roads around here specifically or just the cars brakes or what.

Here's a picture of how some of the spotting looks.

https://i.imgur.com/Xai5qqq.jpg

Car looks fine from anything more than a foot or two away, but I'd like some sort of long term solution to the problem so I'm not ruining my shoulder and entire day with the claybar.
Thanks in advance.
https://i.imgur.com/wm1GngZ.jpg

Billy Baldone
03-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Is that a Sport?

57Rambler
03-29-2020, 08:23 PM
Seems to me it would be a lot simpler (and easier) to just use a tar remover product and then reapply your LSP in the affected areas. No need to clay nor polish.

Nothing is going to prevent tar from sticking to your car. Depending on the type of LSP product you use (ie. wax, sealant, or coating), it is a matter of how "attached" that tar is to your paint.

PaulMys
03-29-2020, 08:29 PM
If this is your daily driver, unfortunately you will see this often.

I always get tar spots, and thanks to good ol' NY state doing road construction out here, I also now have hundreds of yellow paint specks all along my side steps and up in the wheel wells. (Middle finger emoji).

One thing that works great on tar spots is 3M General Purpose Adhesive remover. Just be aware it will also strip away any LSP you have on the paint in quick fashion.

No sealant is immune to these tar spots IMO. I'm not a coating guy, but I will bet some others who do use them can chime in on coatings vs. tar.

My feeling is that the coatings will make the tar removal easier, but I have no experience with that.

Bill D
03-29-2020, 08:34 PM
I also now have hundreds of yellow paint specks all along my side steps and up in the wheel wells.

Once years ago I had yellow paint spots in my wells too. I had to resort to painting over them with flat black paint.

OMGClayAiken
03-29-2020, 08:53 PM
Try carpro tar-x...should be a good deal easier than trying to clay those off all the time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

PaulMys
03-29-2020, 08:58 PM
Once years ago I had yellow paint spots in my wells too. I had to resort to painting over them with flat black paint.

QD, plastic razor blades, and a LOT of cursing for me....... Lol

Thomkirby
03-29-2020, 10:17 PM
Make it easy on yourself next time, use any brand of tar remover. If you do not have any, lacquer thinner works well. And yes suggest to reapply some protection over those areas. Save your clay bar for other days, chemicals are the way to make that job easier.

00birdy
03-29-2020, 11:50 PM
What tar remover tends to work best and how does that compare to the adhesive remover mentioned above?

Dr Oldz
03-30-2020, 12:14 AM
I like the 3D gum and tar remover.

jdgamble
03-30-2020, 12:58 AM
Per above, TarX works like a dream. Spray on, let sit for a few minutes, wipe off. Then wash, dry and seal.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

00birdy
03-30-2020, 08:55 AM
I took a look in the webstore and it seems like Car Pro is the most expensive at $16, is it using a special chemical composition that the other ones are not ?
Bug and tar removers: Remove tree sap, bugs, tar, and overspray with bug and tar removers, bug remover, detailing clay, overspray clay, bug sponge, (https://www.autogeek.net/tarbug.html)
ie. Meguiar's is $7.
Also, CarPro makes an Iron X + Tar X for the same price, is the Tax X purely more effective or would it be worth getting both in one bottle as I never bought Iron X previously.

acuRAS82
03-30-2020, 09:21 AM
Try carpro tar-x...should be a good deal easier than trying to clay those off all the time.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Clay Aiken shows up when it’s time to talk clay. Love it.

chinee
03-30-2020, 04:16 PM
Are you sure it’s tar and not the fungus that shoots spores against anything close by? I think it’s referred to as artillery fungus. Even though garaged, if you park next to curbs while out, with these plants around, your paint will get splattered.

Just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

ducksfan
03-30-2020, 07:27 PM
I took a look in the webstore and it seems like Car Pro is the most expensive at $16, is it using a special chemical composition that the other ones are not ?
Bug and tar removers: Remove tree sap, bugs, tar, and overspray with bug and tar removers, bug remover, detailing clay, overspray clay, bug sponge, (https://www.autogeek.net/tarbug.html)
ie. Meguiar's is $7.
Also, CarPro makes an Iron X + Tar X for the same price, is the Tax X purely more effective or would it be worth getting both in one bottle as I never bought Iron X previously.

You know, you probably could find a similarly classified product for anything CarPro makes that is less expensive. There's a reason their products get recommended so often.

Ha. After I read this I reread your post and noticed the last paragraph. As much as I like CarPro, they're not perfect. They've had some clunkers (An anti-fog spray comes to mind.). Most of their products though are among the best in their category. But, from what I remember, posters would say to keep the two products separate.