PDA

View Full Version : Review: DP “Not Your Father’s” SiO2 Paste Wax

Pages : 1 [2]

acuRAS82
05-03-2020, 08:08 PM
Update: 5/3/20 (6+ weeks):

NYF SiO2 Paste still going strong on vertical panels. The car looks great. Still shiny and bright.
The car has gone 2,500+ in these past 6 weeks. Through storm chasing, snow, downpours, and now pollen season. The car has been washed 6 times in this span. So definitely a busy 6+ weeks, as I try to real life torture it.

The below pics are taken while still dirty. The uglier beads on top are most likely from dust/pollen that is collecting on the vertical surfaces.

986DTM
05-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the update! I'm finally going to get a chance to do a whole car (or two!) with this stuff this week. Likely on top of Essence, which I'm also using for the first time. Both vehicles are dark so my main concern is whether or not these products will give me clean and easy wipe-offs. Nothing drives me crazier than when I pull a car out into the sun and see streaks/smears and I can't tell if its faint marring or just residual product. Any tips for using this or Essence? I'll probably be putting the wax on by machine.

acuRAS82
05-03-2020, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the update! I'm finally going to get a chance to do a whole car (or two!) with this stuff this week. Likely on top of Essence, which I'm also using for the first time. Both vehicles are dark so my main concern is whether or not these products will give me clean and easy wipe-offs. Nothing drives me crazier than when I pull a car out into the sun and see streaks/smears and I can't tell if its faint marring or just residual product. Any tips for using this or Essence? I'll probably be putting the wax on by machine.
You can either use Essence for some correction (MF or really any polishing pad) or as just a finishing polish/filler after previous correction is done. I use for the latter (with CarPro gloss pads - no cut) due to not getting great results when using aggressively... but others on the forum have had great success using with polishing pads.

Either way, you shouldn’t end up with polishing haze when using Essence as the appropriate last polish step. It wipes off very easily. I use it on two black vehicles and have never seen wipe off issues. Wiping off may be harder if using Essence aggressively. Any minor streaks left from wipe off should go away during LSP application. I recommend waiting 24 hours after Essence to apply your LSP if possible. If you can’t wait, the label says 3 hours I think.

NYF, apply thin like any wax. It wipes off easily. Some other more expensive ceramic waxes wipe off easier but this is still easy. Do a final buff after wipe off. Bring it out in the sun whenever and you should be able to still wipe off missed spots. A benefit of ceramic waxes vs sprays and especially true coatings is that they don’t really leave high spots which won’t buff away. Any haze will easily buff away. Easy-peezy.

acuRAS82
05-06-2020, 07:06 AM
Update 5/6/20:

The pictures a few days weren’t so great. Here’s from pics from this morning after a rainy night. Car was washed 5/3 but has been driven 200 miles since.

Desertnate
05-06-2020, 08:11 AM
The beading doesn't look too bad, but how is the water sheeting and self cleaning/ease of cleaning compared to a coating?

acuRAS82
05-06-2020, 11:29 AM
The beading doesn't look too bad, but how is the water sheeting and self cleaning/ease of cleaning compared to a coating?

Sheeting isn’t bad. Not as good as a coating but up there with some ceramic sprays. Self-cleaning is pretty good. The car doesn’t get too dirty. Better at these things than sealants but not as efficient as a coating.

acuRAS82
05-22-2020, 01:03 PM
The other day I topped the sides of the Acura with a SiO2 spray and rinse product that I had been wanting to try. I forgot to take pictures of NYF paste behavior, unfortunately. It had still been going strong after 2 months considering I’ve put a ton of miles on the car, particularly driving a lot in rain, it dealt with some snow, tons of pollen, and was being washed with a fairly harsh auto wash until I recently started using Hyper Wash. I would compare the recent beading at the 2 month mark to that of a pretty good, recently applied sealant. The ceramic type small beads had gotten bigger and didn’t sheet as well, but there was plenty of protection left I would guess. It now serves as the base for numerous toppers I will be using over the next few months.

Probably the best value for a solid paste wax. I liked it a lot more than M37 Krystal (better behavior and half the price), and it didn’t lag too, too far behind the more expensive offerings.
IGL’s Ceramic paste wax is comparable in behavior and had better behavior up front, but when IGL starts wearing, it goes down hill fast. NYF has a much more prolonged durability and longevity which lends itself for people who don’t want to wax often.

Overall, a very nice product at a great price that I would recommend to anyone who likes wax and doesn’t want to commit to the full coating process.

vettemn86
05-04-2021, 10:49 AM
Can this be applied over a glaze like PB Black hole without affecting its longevity?

acuRAS82
05-04-2021, 01:06 PM
It doesn’t say on the pot that it needs a bare prepped surface, so you could try it. With anything ‘ceramic’ I try to put it on a bare surface or on top of other ceramic (waxes, toppers). But DP doesn’t seem too concerned to require that.