PDA

View Full Version : Wheel issues

Pages : [1] 2

Steel
03-15-2020, 10:08 AM
Hey guys,

The other day I offered to wash a buddies car. I started on the wheels and sprayed the tire and wheel with optimum power clean then worked the tire and wheel face with the tuff shine brush and rinsed it with my pressure washer using the 40 degree tip. Manual says that's about 2000 PSI. I'm not sure what happened but it seems like something ruined the wheel or maybe made a existing problem worse? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Click here for picture.
Imgur: The magic of the Internet (https://imgur.com/a/N8nEv9Y)

Sizzle Chest
03-15-2020, 02:31 PM
It appears as if the chemical perhaps was too harsh and damaged the face of the wheels...or it could have 'helped' an issue that was already there. The psi could have also been too great for the wheels and compounded the issue. I would also look for a softer wheel brush for future use and just use the tuff shine brush on the tires, and use lower psi/further away on the psi washer.

The Guz
03-15-2020, 03:15 PM
Was the wheel already compromised? Was it covered in brake dust?

I agree with the softer brush. Once the clear coat is going its best to just use soap and water and no harsh chemicals as it could stain the exposed areas.

Steel
03-15-2020, 03:19 PM
Was the wheel already compromised? Was it covered in brake dust?

I agree with the softer brush. Once the clear coat is going its best to just use soap and water and no harsh chemicals as it could stain the exposed areas.

Honestly I didn't look that closely but they were fairly dirty. How can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Coatingsarecrack
03-15-2020, 06:36 PM
Power clean is pretty strong straight up for a wheel. What type of finish was it? Painted? Polished? Also that’s an agressive brush for wheel face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel
03-15-2020, 06:48 PM
Power clean is pretty strong straight up for a wheel. What type of finish was it? Painted? Polished? Also that’s an agressive brush for wheel face.

Sorry I forget to mention it was 3:1. They are clear coated wheels as well.

FUNX650
03-15-2020, 07:08 PM
IMO:
From here, looks like the results of “curb rash”:
a pre-existing condition; ie: nothing to do with
your cleaning method.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/C5C9940B-3901-4280-8CB6-7763A86290E3.jpeg

Bob

Bill D
03-15-2020, 07:18 PM
Yep, looks like a worse version of curb rash than I have.

Steel
03-15-2020, 07:19 PM
IMO:
From here, looks like the results of “curb rash”:
a pre-existing condition; ie: nothing to do with
your cleaning method.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/C5C9940B-3901-4280-8CB6-7763A86290E3.jpeg

Bob

If it is it didn't take the clear coat off. I rubbed some acetone on one of the spot and a film came off which I assume is the clear coat but each area is slight indented. I ran my thumb nail over the edge in a few spots and my nail caught the edge.

Coatingsarecrack
03-15-2020, 07:47 PM
Did you clean all 4 wheels with same issue? If not clean one with soap and water to see if it to has same condition.

I would also test same method on damaged wheel in undamaged spot to see if same thing happens

FUNX650
03-15-2020, 07:59 PM
If it is it didn't take the clear coat off. I rubbed some acetone on one of the spot and a film came off which I assume is the clear coat but each area is slight indented. I ran my thumb nail over the edge in a few spots and my nail caught the edge.
•IMO:
-If it isn’t “curb rash”...then:
It would take something like applying
sulfuric acid and scrubbing the wheel
with an angle grinder—equipped with
a wire-cup brush attachment—to inflict
that kind of damage.

-Your cleaning method was nowhere
near that level of ferocity!

Bob

spazzz
03-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Curb rash, with grooves in a circular pattern.

Bob is spot on.

Rsurfer
03-15-2020, 08:52 PM

Exactly, that tells you something abrasive (concrete curb) has rubbed against the wheel.

Is this the passenger side? Do all four wheels look the same?

Steel
03-16-2020, 06:10 PM
Exactly, that tells you something abrasive (concrete curb) has rubbed against the wheel.

Is this the passenger side? Do all four wheels look the same?

I did all four wheels and they all have this damage. The two on the drivers side are the worst, the passenger side rear has less spots while the front passenger side has almost nothing.

Rsurfer
03-16-2020, 07:32 PM
I did all four wheels and they all have this damage. The two on the drivers side are the worst, the passenger side rear has less spots while the front passenger side has almost nothing.

Do know what curb rash look like?