PDA

View Full Version : Difference between the Autopia and Autogeek forums.

getgoing
03-05-2020, 10:12 AM
Hi,

I'm new here. I'd like to understand the difference between the Autopia and Autogeek forums please?

Do they have different focus and difference audience?

Also, it seems like both forums are owned by McKee's 37 company, is this correct?
(I'm just curious)

Thanks.

DMiglio
03-05-2020, 11:18 AM
The differences as far as I’m aware, are that the Autogeek forum rules prohibit talking of other brands and products sold outside of the Autogeek store where as Autopia is looser on this.

Although I’ve seen in the past year or so this rule being bent a bit and allowed a pass on these forums.

One big bonus to AGonline forums though is the moderators and Mike Phillips constant interaction with the forum users and why I continue to read and post here over being a lurker on Autopia.

I also believe recently McKee’s37 owner Bob Mckee and Autogeek/Autopia management have parted ways.

acuRAS82
03-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Dmiglio is correct. And although you can discuss other brands on Autopia, don’t link to competitor websites. Informative talk only.

And Autogeek has Mike P. Autopia has a lot of great members too though, just like here. A lot of members also contribute to both.

Bill D
03-05-2020, 12:05 PM
Autopia was the original detailing forum and AG came along a few years later.

Both are extraordinary sources for detailing info and that’s why I participate on both.

luckydawg
03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
AGO is "massive" by comparison. Both are great detailing forums with TONS of high quality experienced folks.
Mike Philips is the Glue that holds them together and has made these forums THE BEST on the web. He runs a pretty tight ship on keeping unfriendly folks in line (wise cracks and smart alecs ) which sets these forums heads and shoulders above all others.
I am on the Autopia forum more than AGO-- the folks over there seem a bit more folksy/helpful/ down to earth-- but great people @ both

DMiglio
03-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Just want to add, I, in no way mean to say the Autopia Forums are any less worthy than AG Forums, there are some very good threads over there that can’t and may not exist here due to the talk of competitor brands.

You will absolutely find a great community on either forum and many of the same users offering help and info!

Desertnate
03-05-2020, 02:12 PM
Also, it seems like both forums are owned by McKee's 37 company, is this correct?
(I'm just curious)

Thanks.

The answer is no, but it's complicated.

The parent company is Palm Beach Motoring Group. The company was founded by Bob McKee and grew to include several brands and the Autogeek forum and store. Later Autogeek bought Autopia, which was a competing forum and storefront. A couple years ago, Bob sold PBMG and the brands/forums EXCEPT for McKee's 37 and the marine care brand which he kept. For some time the McKee's 37 brands were still available here, but only recently left Autogeek/Autopia to be sold through other outlets.