PDA

View Full Version : 2020 GMC Sierra

Mr V
03-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Let me start by saying, I know I should take the time to do the research but in a time crunch. It may hit 60 this weekend here in Minnesota so thought I would do my new Sierra I bought last month. I have the Harbor Freight DA and have done some work on my 2011 Camaro I bought used. On that I used Meguiars 105 with an orange pad and 205 with a white pad. I bought the Camaro used so had more to fix than a new vehicle. The dealership did run the Sierra through the wash before I bought it so it does have minor scratches from that. With newer paint being so thin I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly. Would the 205 with a white pad still be the recommended way to remove those? I was contemplating black with something less abrasive than 205. The dealership said they do a complementary auto butler on new vehicles but obviously whatever they did is no good or just washing afterwards by the dealer created the scratches. My plan is iron x and a clay mitt (fine). The hitting it with the DA. Any advice the experts would like to give would be greatly appreciates.

Thanks in advance!

Mr V

vobro
03-04-2020, 11:47 AM
The only way to tell is do a test spot, that being said the 205 and white pad should take care of the minor stuff.

Mr V
03-04-2020, 12:27 PM
The only way to tell is do a test spot, that being said the 205 and white pad should take care of the minor stuff.

Thanks. Just was not sure if white was too much for minor swirls but I will do as you suggested and see the results. If I used a black pad with something less abrasive than 205 you think it might still do it? I could try a test spot with a black pad, just not sure what to use instead of 205.

vobro
03-04-2020, 01:25 PM
I’d work with what you have on hand, again the test spot will help. I’d say a majority of the GM clear tends to be on the harder side so I’d start with the white/205

What color did you get? I’ve been looking at the Silverado but just not wowed enough to get one

Mr V
03-04-2020, 02:00 PM
I’d work with what you have on hand, again the test spot will help. I’d say a majority of the GM clear tends to be on the harder side so I’d start with the white/205

What color did you get? I’ve been looking at the Silverado but just not wowed enough to get one

I got the pacific blue. I already have a red and white cars and did not want black. It is metallic and like that part too

vobro
03-04-2020, 04:56 PM
Nice

Whipped500
03-04-2020, 07:14 PM
I've got a silver RST with the Duramax on order... should be here in the next couple of weeks. I've been lurking around here the last month because of having it on order.

I'm leaning towards getting meguiars M27 and M799...or just use my BF one step and top and maintain with M799.

vobro
03-04-2020, 08:14 PM
I've got a silver RST with the Duramax on order... should be here in the next couple of weeks. I've been lurking around here the last month because of having it on order.

I'm leaning towards getting meguiars M27 and M799...or just use my BF one step and top and maintain with M799.

Satin Steel or Silver Ice? I haven’t tried M27 yet but the consumer version is very nice,easy to apply/remove and it’s very glossy.

Whipped500
03-04-2020, 08:30 PM
Silver ice. The satin steel only looks good in certain lights to me...but I'm going off of older models. I don't like how it looks/shows light blue in certain lights. My neighbor has a Tahoe with it that depending on the time of day looks light blue. They probably changed it like on my 2500 hd though. My HD is greystone metallic that I ordered sight unseen. The old version had a lot of copper/brown in it which I didn't want...I was relieved when it came in and didn't have it! With that said, I think I would want the satin steel to look like my HD and I really don't want 2 trucks the same color.