PDA

View Full Version : Marine 31 Captains Coating Removal

kgs365
03-01-2020, 12:41 PM
is there a method to remove Marine 31 Captains Coating UV50?....I didn't follow directions last fall and didn't rub the coating off before it dried and now I have streaking and drips, yes I suppose you are supposed to compound it out but is there a spray that can be applied to remove ?...or a process?

The Guz
03-01-2020, 03:48 PM
Polish it off and recoat.

kgs365
03-01-2020, 05:15 PM
Polish it off and recoat.

I've been doing that the stuff is tuff as nails it doesn't come off easy ...one side came out amazing cant wait to see how long it lasts

Mike Phillips
03-02-2020, 10:35 AM
is there a method to remove Marine 31 Captains Coating UV50?....

The only way I know how to remove it is to polish it off.

:(

Whitewater25
03-23-2020, 08:53 PM
Turns out I have to remove some too. I might try wet sanding to get most of it off. I already wet sanded & polished it before I coated it the first time so I don’t think it will hurt to do it again.

kgs365
03-24-2020, 06:18 AM
Turns out I have to remove some too. I might try wet sanding to get most of it off. I already wet sanded & polished it before I coated it the first time so I don’t think it will hurt to do it again.

let me know the minimum wet sand you use 1800 2000?....with all the free time i was thinking of doing the same ...i've been looking at it and there's just a few spots were it is streaky so i dont think i need to wet sand the whole side

Whitewater25
03-24-2020, 10:51 AM
I have a box of Trizact 3000 pads to work with. They did a good job before polishing prior to coating. Hoping the coating removal won’t clog them up too fast. I have 9 pads and one side of a 25’ center console to remove the coating from. Hope that’s enough, still need to do the transom and stbd hull after I get port side dialed in. If not, I know where I can get more.

kgs365
03-24-2020, 11:35 AM
I have a box of Trizact 3000 pads to work with. They did a good job before polishing prior to coating. Hoping the coating removal won’t clog them up too fast. I have 9 pads and one side of a 25’ center console to remove the coating from. Hope that’s enough, still need to do the transom and stbd hull after I get port side dialed in. If not, I know where I can get more.

let me know how it goes its still in the 40's up here in new england so its too cold for me to start ....3,000 grit if it works i'll go get some ...that would be great i sort of dreaded compounding the whole side again

Whitewater25
03-25-2020, 09:46 AM
I will let ya know. You will still have to remove the wet sand marks but I would think it would be easier than compounding the coating off.

Whitewater25
03-26-2020, 08:23 AM
I did the coated hull side with the 3000 Trizact. It did not remove it but it did get rid of the tacky feel. I hit it with the buffer afterwards and it was shiny. I could probably leave it but will most likely put a coat on it from the new bottle since I still have to coat the rest of the hull anyway.