PDA

View Full Version : best way to detail 81 Jeep

king air pilot
03-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Well the weather is getting warmer and I purchased a 81 Jeep CJ7 over the winter it is in really good shape and I want to makeit shine like I did with my 2 other cars. So last summer i purchased a menzerna and pc7424 kit from AG. It did a wonderfull job on my 07 F150 but that paint is clear coated and of course the Jeep is not. I did rub a small section with final glaze (couldnt wait) and got some oxidation transfer on the rag.

It is a maroon metalic so what product shoudl I get to clean and polish the paint I have the orange white and blue pads and some pinnacle carnuba wax for the final coat but, I want tosafely clean the paint before I apply the carnuba.

Cheers
Mike
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h279/Beerguy1/jeep11.jpg

Newbeme
03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I can't help you with what to use since I'm new to all this, but just wanted to say that is a nice looking CJ. You don't see too many up here in our area of the country that are in that good of condition. As you know they usually look like swiss cheese.

Surfer
03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Best way to detail it is to do some mudding.

Any light polish, or Klasse AIO you can try. AIO is a great chemical cleaner but won't remove and swirls if thats what your worried about (any remove of swirls will be done by the pad and very lightly at that). If you got a lot of transfer by just rubbing with a rag, you'll get a shitload with AIO as it cleans.

Smokindiesel
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Nice looking for a 81 CJ-5 ... I have a 79

king air pilot
03-23-2008, 01:31 PM
muddin huh?? Hell Id love to see some mud right now I still have 3 ft of snow in my yard. Cant wait to see that mud. Anyway I guess I have a concern with using to much rubbing (klasse) and going thru the paint. My detail experience is with 2 coat systems. I dont have any swirl marks just some minor scratches that I know will come out easy with the menzerna.

What about claying then hit it with menzerna? From what I have read here on AG it woudl be best to clean it first then polish it out.

Thanks for all the nice compliments. I will be installing a 3" lift and a set of super swampers on it in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Mike

Smokindiesel
03-23-2008, 01:41 PM
muddin huh?? Hell Id love to see some mud right now I still have 3 ft of snow in my yard. Cant wait to see that mud. Anyway I guess I have a concern with using to much rubbing (klasse) and going thru the paint. My detail experience is with 2 coat systems. I dont have any swirl marks just some minor scratches that I know will come out easy with the menzerna.

What about claying then hit it with menzerna? From what I have read here on AG it woudl be best to clean it first then polish it out.

Thanks for all the nice compliments. I will be installing a 3" lift and a set of super swampers on it in a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Mike

You gotta go bigger than a 3"!!!
Heres my 1979 CJ-5

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg154/Smokindiesel_1996/Jeep1979CJ-53.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg154/Smokindiesel_1996/Jeep1979CJ-52.jpg

Surfer
03-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Smokin, I remember years ago I was at a store and heard a mean rumbling outside. Peaked out to see whatever muscle car was pulling up, it was Jeep lol. He had a built 350 in it.

Smokindiesel
03-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Smokin, I remember years ago I was at a store and heard a mean rumbling outside. Peaked out to see whatever muscle car was pulling up, it was Jeep lol. He had a built 350 in it.

LOL ... Yeah the jeep has a good sound to it. Its a fun toy, thats for sure. And its just that ... a toy for me, just like my truck! ... The truck is still #1 for me though!! LOL

king air pilot
03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Smokin' That is BEAUTIFULL. It's the color of my Harley. How big of lift and tires/

Mike

Smokindiesel
03-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks bud.

The tires are 36" ... 4" Suspension Lift, 3" Body Lift ... Plus The Tires