PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

robrpb
02-22-2020, 10:59 AM
Hi, My sister purchased a new 2020 Hyundai Tucson about 3-4 months ago. It is dark gray and we live in southeast Florida. My experience with detailing cars is limited to washing and then hand waxing my cars for the past 40 years, so I don't have experience with the new products or methods. I have done a lot of reading and watched many youtube videos by different people and I am more confused than when I started. From my reading I have gathered that I should

1. Wash the car
2. Use an iron remover
3. Use a clay bar or mitt
4. Use alcohol or something to clean
5. Apply a protective coat

First, am I missing any steps or is there a better way to do it?

What products do you recommend for each step?

For the protective coat what do you recommend for where I live?

Thank you. Rob

The Guz
02-22-2020, 04:03 PM
Welcome to AGO.

Are you planning to do any sort of polishing or say an AIO (cleaner wax).

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/116319-review-blackfire-one-step-cleaner-wax-mike-phillips.html)

luckydawg
02-22-2020, 05:10 PM
I would never clay without polishing (that means using a machine)- unless it's a very small isolated spot trying to remove a small issue.

robrpb
02-23-2020, 03:20 PM
I have read the review "BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips" and I also read the review "BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax by Mike Phillips." From reading both reviews it appears to me that since the car is new the "BLACKFIRE BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax" would be the better choice at this time. Would this be true? Thanks.

The Guz
02-23-2020, 03:46 PM
If you are not too worried with clay marring then apply any sealant and call it a day.

You can also use both products together.

robrpb
02-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Welcome to AGO.

Are you planning to do any sort of polishing or say an AIO (cleaner wax).

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/116319-review-blackfire-one-step-cleaner-wax-mike-phillips.html)

After reading and researching some more I bought the Blackfire One Step. I want to keep it as simple as possible and not clay. Apart from washing the car, what other prep do I need to do before using the One Step? It didn't say on the bottle or in the review. Thanks.

luckydawg
02-26-2020, 11:11 AM
. I want to keep it as simple as possible and not clay.

Smart move