PDA

View Full Version : This thread confused me.

steve wc
07-15-2006, 05:01 PM
I was planning to:

Wash & Clay

Polish with Clearkote RMG

Seal with Mother's Reflections Synthetic Wax

LSP Natty's Blue

Than I read:

killrwheels:
only one I can offer via hand with polishing and cleaning:
Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze

SVTContour:
Thanks Killr
I assume that I couldn't use the Clearkote product before applying a sealant?

killrwheels:
Clearkote glazes will likely reduce the durability of sealant, and might slow/effect curing

Can I still follow my plan or should I now skip the Mother's and go straight to the "Blue", or just wait a day between the Mother's and the "Blue"?

Am I not understanding what is meant by a sealant? (FYI Mother's has a mild cleaner used to prepare surface to accept wax).

Thanks,

Steve wc

supercharged
07-15-2006, 06:09 PM
You will get better results if you let Mother's Reflections Synthetic Wax cure for 12 hours.
Although I'm not a fan of Mother's products (Pinnacle and Wolfgang spoiled me) you should get desent resluts with it. by the way - DO NOT use a glaze before applying a sealant - bonding ussues. Istead you can SEAL----GLAZE---WAX...

ScottB
07-15-2006, 06:13 PM
sealants (a synthetic wax) actually cure and bond to the paint. In order to do so they are designed to attach to a clean and clear finish. Most glazes (even those with abrasives like the Clearkotes) also offer fillers to hide flaws and usually use oils in order to "wet" the paint.

This is where the issue comes in .... how well can a sealant adhere to a finish that is covered in oils/fillers ?? You are likely at the least reducing the durability (length of protection) and most likely as diluting the look of the sealant in the way that a manufacturer designed it. Now Wolfgang Concours makes a finishing glaze with some light synthetic sealers (it is also slightly abrasive) that would work with sealants.

I would stick to using the Clearkote Glazes in the way they were intended, with a carnuaba topper. Using them and rewashing or wiping car down with alcohol will remove the oils/fillers, but then all you used were the abrasives in them to polish the finish.

Keep this in mind for future (generalization):

wash, clay, polish, protect (sealant)
or
wash, clay, polish, glaze, protect (carnuaba)
and hey for kicks:
wash, clay, polish, protect (sealant) , topper (carnuaba)

It truly isnt the amount of steps that will bring the finish to protection, it is understanding each step and using some of the best products to get you thru the step with awesome results and hopefully as easy as can be.

NissanOwner
07-15-2006, 07:18 PM
It truly isnt the amount of steps that will bring the finish to protection, it is understanding each step and using some of the best products to get you thru the step with awesome results and hopefully as easy as can be.

Well said, I am truly learning to apply a great shine to my car and at the same time making it last, of course with AG's great products and forum insight.

steve wc
07-16-2006, 11:47 AM
I would stick to using the Clearkote Glazes in the way they were intended, with a carnuaba topper. Using them and rewashing or wiping car down with alcohol will remove the oils/fillers, but then all you used were the abrasives in them to polish the finish.

Keep this in mind for future (generalization):

wash, clay, polish, protect (sealant)
or
wash, clay, polish, glaze, protect (carnuaba)
and hey for kicks:
wash, clay, polish, protect (sealant) , topper (carnuaba)

So for the Clearkote products:

Wash & Clay
Polish with RMG
Top With Natty's Blue

For the Mother's:

Wash & Clay
No Polish with Glaze
Sealant: Mother's Reflection's Synthetic Wax
Top with Top Coat

mixxer
07-16-2006, 03:04 PM
wow im glad i read this because i have also used optimum polish,vmg,ex,nattys. now my understanding from what i just read is they ex doesnt bond to the vmg. so is it better to skip the glaze or skip the sealer?????????????????????

ScottB
07-16-2006, 06:08 PM
wow im glad i read this because i have also used optimum polish,vmg,ex,nattys. now my understanding from what i just read is they ex doesnt bond to the vmg. so is it better to skip the glaze or skip the sealer?????????????????????

You used EX or EX-P ?? If you used EX which is a carnuaba/sealant hybrid, you will be fine. EX-P (pure sealant) is the one that would not cure properly.

ScottB
07-16-2006, 06:10 PM
So for the Clearkote products:

Wash & Clay
Polish with RMG
Top With Natty's Blue

For the Mother's:

Wash & Clay
No Polish with Glaze
Top with Top Coat

Ist combo is good, the second could present a problem. Mother's Reflection is a synthetic paint sealant and in all likelyhood will not bond well to glaze, well unless using a glaze specific to sealants. (Wolfgang, Menzerna)

mixxer
07-16-2006, 07:42 PM
yes i use EX. so thats ok to bond to VMG? thanks for the insight killer wheels

steve wc
07-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Ist combo is good, the second could present a problem. Mother's Reflection is a synthetic paint sealant and in all likelyhood will not bond well to glaze, well unless using a glaze specific to sealants. (Wolfgang, Menzerna)

I really meant to say:

For the Mother's

Wash & Clay

Skip the polish (no polish, none ,nada) unless I find one that does not leave anything behind.

Top with Top Coat

Excessive Detail
07-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Well this helps out alot, I've been using pinn xmt fg on my car under sealants, my question is if you put the glaze on top of the sealant, what will keep the glaze from coming off, or are glazes only meant for a temporary shine.

ScottB
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
yes i use EX. so thats ok to bond to VMG? thanks for the insight killer wheels

nice combo ....

Well this helps out alot, I've been using pinn xmt fg on my car under sealants, my question is if you put the glaze on top of the sealant, what will keep the glaze from coming off, or are glazes only meant for a temporary shine.

in general I think many are giving glazes way to much HYPE. Very few make a significant difference on some of the best carnuabas offered. I would highly suggest some Pinnacle, P21S, Clearkote, or DP Wax alone as they are plenty wet and offer nice protection in one product. Save the $$ from the glazes, and step up to Souveran when possible.