PDA

View Full Version : Do microfiber-specific detergents clean any better than "free & clear" detergents?

Pages : [1] 2

tjevans
02-09-2020, 08:29 AM
Currently, I'm using All Free & Clear. I'm noticing dirt remaining on my MF even after a wash. I usually was using ONR and my drying towel sometimes picks up light dirt (the subject of plenty of questions on this forum). This dirt stays on the towel after the wash (which includes a soak and an extra rinse).

Bill D
02-09-2020, 08:36 AM
I use Tide Heavy Duty and the results seem OK. I don’t imagine a MF detergent cleaning much better.

Dan Tran
02-09-2020, 08:46 AM
I use Tide Heavy Duty and the results seem OK. I don’t imagine a MF detergent cleaning much better.

Micro-Restore doesn?t just clean microfiber, it restores microfiber! (https://www.autogeek.net/mr32.html)

Have you used this yet? It works wonders and does make a difference.

Bill D
02-09-2020, 09:03 AM
One of these days I may try it.

fly07sti
02-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Yes! Using a MF detergent that’s designed to clean automotive cleaning products from towels will out perform a laundry soap designed for cleaning the clothes we wear.
Try using Micro Restore or 3D Towel Kleen.

Bill D
02-09-2020, 09:59 AM
I wonder if MF detergent cleans clothes better than Tide. Then all we would need is one detergent.

Eldorado2k
02-09-2020, 10:46 AM
I wonder if MF detergent cleans clothes better than Tide. Then all we would need is one detergent.

It’s like bath soap & shampoo. Do you use the same as your wife? Probably not...

Bill D
02-09-2020, 10:57 AM
Heh heh, what wife?

spazzz
02-09-2020, 11:16 AM
Currently, I'm using All Free & Clear. I'm noticing dirt remaining on my MF even after a wash. I usually was using ONR and my drying towel sometimes picks up light dirt (the subject of plenty of questions on this forum). This dirt stays on the towel after the wash (which includes a soak and an extra rinse).

Yeah, on that ONR thing.
If you want the stubborn, dirt clingy ONR towel to come clean you will have to experiment with an APC or a degreaser soak.
I haven't used ONR for a minute but I found ZEP heavy duty orange degreaser or ZEP fast 505 in a bucket with Hot water( of course initially ) soaking for a day or 2 was the ticket to clean.

I use the same method for most of the first stage cleaning towels/ mitts these days.
This cuts the dirt and isn't wishful thinking with a hot wash, *insert detergent*,vinegar in rinse dispenser and extra rinse.

Coatingsarecrack
02-09-2020, 03:38 PM
I’ve read somewhere that they are different products that do different things. Detergents remove dirt, grease and the things we are removing from paint.

Mf Detergents break down the things we add to the paint and condition the MF. I think it said wash with Detergent washing and cleaning MF’s and MF detergent with polishing, removal and buffing towels.

We use more cleaning towels and the F&C detergents saves money.

That being said I wash most of my towels together. Ive tried a few 3D Kleen, tide F&C, Mckee’s MF and Griots MF and pad cleaner.

I like the Griots the best. They recommend mixing it with F&C detergent. Reduces cost and towels come out clean, soft and absorbant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill D
02-09-2020, 04:43 PM
It seems to me that it’s a case of YMMV. I have all of my premium MFs since premium MFs came out and I’ve never washed them with MF specific detergent. All are still fine.

Markymapo
02-09-2020, 04:53 PM
I have been using 3D towel clean from AG, works great

57Rambler
02-09-2020, 08:38 PM
I must confess to being disappointed with Griot's MF cleaner ... you still need to use a "free & clear" laundry detergent in conjunction with the Griot's cleaner, and I didn't see much/any improvement vs. just using All Free & Clear by itself. Gonna try the Micro-Restore next time.

Bill D
02-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Give Tide Heavy Duty a shot. It’s been reasonable for me..

Eldorado2k
02-09-2020, 08:58 PM
Give Tide Heavy Duty a shot. It’s been reasonable for me..

Tide really is great detergent. I doubt the microfiber detergents would be noticeably better than Tide.

Btw I used 3D Towel Kleen.