PDA

View Full Version : Light Oxidation on camper

58LesPaul
02-07-2020, 06:44 PM
We bought a camper and it has light oxidation. I have some Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy Oxidation Cleaner and some Megs heavy cut compound. Would you all use this with a DA and orange pad or go with something else RV specific?

Also, when finished correcting, what do you recommend to protect it?

rangerbay
02-08-2020, 11:31 AM
I would go with the Meg's. The gel coat on a camper is softer and will mar easily. We use 3d one with orange LC pads. Lots of them.
Top with a ceramic sealant .

58LesPaul
02-08-2020, 03:24 PM
I would go with the Meg's. The gel coat on a camper is softer and will mar easily. We use 3d one with orange LC pads. Lots of them.

Which ceramic sealant do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Hermes1
02-08-2020, 04:40 PM

I agree and would suggest since you say light oxidation to stay away from a heavy cut compound without first trying a standard or light cut compound. Because as rangerbay mentioned that gel coat on campers tends to be softer not only would I shy away from heavy cut compounds, unless necessary, I would go with RV specific products. You might check out McKee's RV line of compounds etc.

Eric7810
02-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Last year I did a Winnebago. This was the result I had using HD Speed and Lake Country orange.

I had purchased Meguiar’s Flagship Marine Cleaner Wax for this job, and while it gave good results, the HD Speed beat it out for level of gloss.

Used 22 pads on that job. Swapping them out frequently was key to getting fine results.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200209/baea7bf91055866a9fc9e00ffa2a9269.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

58LesPaul
02-09-2020, 12:31 PM
Nice! How long does HD Speed protect?

Eric7810
02-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Not long, I’d say a maximum of a month with an RV, which are typically left outside. Speed is a great product to get a glossy finish, but it is an ‘all in one’, so there is compromise.

On that job I applied Collinite 845 wax on the hood and nose of the camper for added durability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangerbay
02-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Which ceramic sealant do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

If go with igl premier, or to make it simple, Griot's 3 in one ceramic sealer

58LesPaul
02-09-2020, 07:54 PM
If go with igl premier, or to make it simple, Griot's 3 in one ceramic sealer

How long would Premier and GG 3 in 1 last?

I wonder how much traditional ceramic coating like CarPro Cquartz I would need to coat the whole 31 ft. camper? I really don't want to climb all around it twice a year.