PDA

View Full Version : Clear Coat is Gone!!

Pages : [1] 2

thehaul
03-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought a 78' Celica about 3 years ago with a seemingly decent one day paint job. Since I've had it in the california sun the clear coat on all the flat surfaces, the hood, roof and trunk has disappeared. Am I just screwed till my next paint job or do I have some sort of recourse until then? It looks like the last painter adequetly applied the clear coat to the sides and fenders but went a little thin on the flat surfaces. This may be the norm for crappy paint jobs, I dunno. So, let me know if you guys have any words of wisdom. A new paint job is not to far off but probably a year and jeeze I don't want it to look like this for that long.

Thanks
Sean

Wolf-Strong
03-21-2008, 07:50 PM
I bought a 78' Celica about 3 years ago with a seemingly decent one day paint job. Since I've had it in the california sun the clear coat on all the flat surfaces, the hood, roof and trunk has disappeared. Am I just screwed till my next paint job or do I have some sort of recourse until then? It looks like the last painter adequetly applied the clear coat to the sides and fenders but went a little thin on the flat surfaces. This may be the norm for crappy paint jobs, I dunno. So, let me know if you guys have any words of wisdom. A new paint job is not to far off but probably a year and jeeze I don't want it to look like this for that long.

Thanks
Sean
What do you mean the clear coat disapeared!? Did it peal away and you can see this, or does it just look really faded? Some pictures would really help.

If it is just faded/oxidized, that can be brought back.

thehaul
03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I will get pics tomorrow

thehaul
03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
thanks

thehaul
03-22-2008, 03:27 PM
hope this helps! let me know if you have any diagnosis?

thehaul
03-22-2008, 03:30 PM
BTW it feels somewhat smooth like a 2000 weight sandpaper was used. I used clay and a polisher on it but the shine never comes back.

StephenK
03-22-2008, 03:36 PM
BTW it feels somewhat smooth like a 2000 weight sandpaper was used. I used clay and a polisher on it but the shine never comes back.

what kind of polisher did you use. also what pad and polish combo did you try?

thehaul
03-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I used the Souveran™ / Klasse Kit

StephenK
03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
I used the Souveran™ / Klasse Kit

try to machine polish it.

thehaul
03-23-2008, 05:19 PM
I have no experience with that nor the tools. You recommend getting a pro to do it right? In your opinion do you think the clear coat is gone? I that possible? If it is can you get the shine back?

thanks

StephenK
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I have no experience with that nor the tools. You recommend getting a pro to do it right? In your opinion do you think the clear coat is gone? I that possible? If it is can you get the shine back?

thanks

where are you from?

The Skillmaster
03-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Looks like the hood could be original single stage paint.

BetaB
03-31-2008, 09:08 PM
+1

Wolf-Strong
03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Go buy a bottle of Meguiar's ColorX, and see what it does for the hood. If it is single stage paint, that is going to be the product of choice for sure. If it is indeed clear coat and just heavily oxidized, than it will reveal that. If it is indeed clear coat failure, than you will likely not see any improvement. ColorX also has TONS of glaze/polish in it that will likely condition a single stage, bringing back its luster.

The problem here is that if you do use a machine on the hood like a rotary, or even a dual action at this point, you could likely polish right through whatever clear coat there is (if it is two stage paint).

Get back to us once you use ColorX

thehaul
03-31-2008, 11:04 PM
I live in Los Angeles.... I will get the Meguiar's ColorX and try it hopefully by this weekend. All the problems seemed to start after I used Zymol...maybe I applied it when the car was too hot...I don't remember but after I used the Klassee it looked good and then everything started to fade......ideas??

Thanks a lot!
Sean