PDA

View Full Version : Polish Age

Pages : [1] 2

gofast182
02-06-2020, 04:25 PM
For a weekend warrior a big bottle of polish can be a lifetime supply! I have bottles of Menzerna SF4500, Menzerna SF1500, and HD Speed that are aging. The Menzerna products are ~6 years old the HD Speed is ~4 years old. My question is does polish expire or go bad? Do certain chemicals evaporate or break down over time? I store them inside, they still *seem* to work, and I make it a point to shake the bottles a few times a year. What's everyone's experience?

Rsurfer
02-06-2020, 04:32 PM
For a weekend warrior a big bottle of polish can be a lifetime supply! I have bottles of Menzerna SF4500, Menzerna SF1500, and HD Speed that are aging. The Menzerna products are ~6 years old the HD Speed is ~4 years old. My question is does polish expire or go bad? Do certain chemicals evaporate or break down over time? I store them inside, they still *seem* to work, and I make it a point to shake the bottles a few times a year. What's everyone's experience?

If stored inside and shook occasionally it should last for years. If it separates trash it.

PaulMys
02-06-2020, 05:41 PM
If stored inside and shook occasionally it should last for years. If it separates trash it.

^^^This^^^

That is the reason I will never buy anything more than a 16oz. bottle.

acuRAS82
02-06-2020, 06:16 PM
I’m hoping they last a looong time indoors. I haven’t seen any polishes in my collection separate yet, some being 4-5 years old.

PaulMys
02-06-2020, 06:23 PM
I’m hoping they last a looong time indoors. I haven’t seen any polishes in my collection separate yet, some being 4-5 years old.

Same here.

LSNAutoDetailing
02-06-2020, 10:32 PM
Mine have been in AZ heat (garage) for about 3 years.. and they were two years old prior to moving here (so they're over 5 years old). No issues.
But as Paulie said, just go with 16 or 32 oz bottles for now on. Those are products that you don't need a lot of to get through a detail event.

Desertnate
02-07-2020, 08:52 AM
I personally like the 8oz bottles even better for these reasons, but very few companies even offer them. Since I only polish out my vehicles every year or two, the stuff lasts forever.

I have a 16oz bottle of Blackfire SRC compound and polish which were purchased in 2014. The last time I used those products I noticed they were starting to become harder to remove and the working time was less. Since they were such great products when the bottle was new, I'm blaming age. There is very little left at this point for either and I may toss them in favor of some fresh product.

Sleper
02-07-2020, 09:33 AM
I have read by many suppliers that you should only keep for 2 years but in my personal experience i have had product last for several years. For me as long as it will shake back to a smooth consistant liquid i will continue to use it. If it has chunks or flakes within the product i will throw it away but thats just my 0.02$

gofast182
02-07-2020, 12:56 PM
The bottle of SF4500 is 32oz. The SF1500 and HD Speed are 16oz. I got both Menzerna polishes as my first foray into polishing along with a PC DA polisher. At the time I had no idea how long a 32oz bottle would last!

Once you take care of your car, particularly if it's new, you may never have to use it on that car again (or in the first place). Occasionally I get a car for a family member or friend to do, but that's not often.

It would be nice if more manufacturers offered 4 or 8oz bottles.

Kamakaz1961
02-07-2020, 01:17 PM
I buy only the 16 ounce bottles only. I bought a gallon jug once and not even close to finish it. After 2 years I was able to. Lesson learned. BTW, it was car soap not polish. Even a gallon car soap took a long time....LOL

KEEP ON ROCKING!

Rsurfer
02-07-2020, 03:03 PM

It would be nice if more manufacturers offered 4 or 8oz bottles.

Menzerna, 3D, Sonax and I'm sure others offer 8oz bottles.

Eldorado2k
02-07-2020, 03:17 PM
I buy only the 16 ounce bottles only. I bought a gallon jug once and not even close to finish it. After 2 years I was able to. Lesson learned. BTW, it was car soap not polish. Even a gallon car soap took a long time....LOL

KEEP ON ROCKING!

I’m the opposite... Even products that I never thought I’d ever use up seem to somehow get used.

For example I honestly thought this gallon concentrate of D120 Glass Cleaner could last me a lifetime, but it’s nearly done.

Gallon of Hyper Wash... Used it up fairly quick.

Half gallon of PRC gone even though I haven’t used it in forever and I’m not even a fan of AIO’s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200207/dad60972c800bdbf118b90eab8008f6c.jpg

Rsurfer
02-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Your right, D120 Glass Cleaner should last a very long time, but not with someone that is OCD. LOL!

PaulMys
02-07-2020, 06:18 PM
Your right, D120 Glass Cleaner should last a very long time, but not with someone that is OCD. LOL!

Ric OCD?

C'Mon Man!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

gofast182
02-18-2020, 09:43 AM
Well I got part of my answer yesterday...
It was a nice-ish day and I had the itch so I went out to do a little work on the S2000. I wanted to use HD Speed. I noticed the consistency was thick and very slight cottage cheese texture but nothing was separated so I went ahead. The first section went OK but by the second section it was leaving a thick almost rubbery residue on the paint that was very hard to remove. I switched to my even older bottle of Menzerna SF4500 and after I got a few chunks out of the cap/spout it was a nearly perfect consistency. I threw away the remaining HD Speed.