PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax streaking .. solved & Collinite 845 diluted

Pages : [1] 2

ERS
02-03-2020, 06:11 PM
Yesterday, I took my black Mustang out and gave it a waterless wash and followed up with a spray wax as a maintenance. I have Collinite 845 as LSP. Today when I went out to go for a drive I noticed a significant amount of streaking. I had used Duragloss Aquawax. Having used it several times before I was surprised at the streaking. Upon investigation I found that it wasn't the AW that streaked but was the microfiber instead. So, to those who get streaking from there spray wax/detailer, try a different microfiber and of course, like I always do, just one or two sprays per panel.

Also, using our 2014 Terrain (with 845 lsp) as a tester, I diluted Collinite 845 with Megs UQW using a ratio of 1:4 (1 oz 845 : 4 oz UQW). No streaking and really worked well. I see where others have asked the same question, but not sure if anyone ever has done it. It is quicker than applying the 845 by itself. I personally think it worked great but was also wondering if any feedback on mixing the two ingredients and using it as after waterless wash followup? Thanks.

Ernie

Mike Phillips
02-04-2020, 09:21 AM
I agree. The type of towel is an important factor when working with any product on car paint.

Especially black paint.

:)

supercharged75
02-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance, what is the megs product you are referring to that you diluted with Collinite 845?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WaxMaster1
02-04-2020, 12:48 PM
Forgive my ignorance, what is the megs product you are referring to that you diluted with Collinite 845?

Sent from my SM-N950U using TapatalkUltimate Quik Waxhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200204/44454338f806615c1fb37ba3cecae5ab.jpg

ERS
02-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Ignorance doesn't exist when detailing. We all have more to learn. Some, like myself, much more than others. And yes, ultimate quik wax.

BillyJack
02-04-2020, 07:04 PM
I remember reading here a few years ago about some similar problems with Aquawax after multiple frequent applications. Apparently, AW has a higher solids content than many spray waxes, so it can build up if applied too frequently, causing some streaking. One of the brothers from DG recommended diluting it with DG Fast Clean &Shine, their QD at a ratio of 1:3, 3 parts FCS to 1 AW.
My DD is black and I have the opportunity to use a heated wash bay on Saturdays before work, so it gets a weekly wash there during the PA winters. I'll normally use AW as a drying aid, but I'll switch to the AW/FCS mix every 3-4 weeks, because I have seen a streaking problem using straight AW every week.

Bill

PS. Thanks for the UQW tip, ERS. I also stock D156, the pro version of UQW. The mix with 845 sounds like an experiment worth a try.

PaulMys
02-04-2020, 07:24 PM
One thing to consider about DG Aquawax is the amount used.

A little goes a very long way.

And as stated above....... Not using 2-3 quality MF towels is the best way to incur streaking.

jmorlan
02-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Interesting you bring this up. I'm a long time aquawax guy. The towel definitely makes a difference and the lady actually said something the other day about that while we were doing her jeep. It was streaking badly with a new towel. I find that a well seasoned towel is much better off with it than a new one.
I used some on my truck today with my old trusty white Adam's towel and not a problem.

PaulMys
02-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Interesting you bring this up. I'm a long time aquawax guy. The towel definitely makes a difference and the lady actually said something the other day about that while we were doing her jeep. It was streaking badly with a new towel. I find that a well seasoned towel is much better off with it than a new one.
I used some on my truck today with my old trusty white Adam's towel and not a problem.

Great point.

And anything Old & Trusty is ok in my book. :)

ERS
02-04-2020, 08:15 PM
I remember reading here a few years ago about some similar problems with Aquawax after multiple frequent applications. Apparently, AW has a higher solids content than many spray waxes, so it can build up if applied too frequently, causing some streaking. One of the brothers from DG recommended diluting it with DG Fast Clean &Shine, their QD at a ratio of 1:3, 3 parts FCS to 1 AW.
My DD is black and I have the opportunity to use a heated wash bay on Saturdays before work, so it gets a weekly wash there during the PA winters. I'll normally use AW as a drying aid, but I'll switch to the AW/FCS mix every 3-4 weeks, because I have seen a streaking problem using straight AW every week.

Bill

PS. Thanks for the UQW tip, ERS. I also stock D156, the pro version of UQW. The mix with 845 sounds like an experiment worth a try.

As I stated I tryed the 1:4 Collinite & UQW on my wifes Terrain. I do maintain our vehicles regularly to keep looking great.

Personally, I thought the Terrain did look different in a good kind of way, but was quick to dismiss that thought knowing that's what my mind wanted to think. BUT !!!!!!!! Tonight, out of the blue, my wife says, "... you know, my vehicle looks exceptionally great today!".

Of course, I didn't tell her about my experiment and only replied back to her, "... well, I did work extra hard on it yesterday." It just may be a good combo after all. Thanks for the replies.

Jeffrey16
02-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Did you have to heat this combo up to get the 845 to spray nicely? Thanks!

gofast182
02-05-2020, 11:41 AM
Yeah, if you put it in the opaque Megs bottle and cant' see how the 845 mixed, you may not be getting much of it. Even after sitting inside at room temperature for a while it will 'gel' and needs a vigorous shake and ideally some heat to flow again.

ERS
02-05-2020, 02:23 PM
Did you have to heat this combo up to get the 845 to spray nicely? Thanks!

I always leave the 845 in my man cave hidden to keep at room temp. which keeps it from "thickening". Shake both. Use measuring cup for accuracy. I also use clear bottles, to see exactly how much is being mixed.

PaulMys
02-05-2020, 08:28 PM
I wonder if the 4:1 ratio will work with the Collinite QD.

Because as a stand-alone, I was not very impressed with it.

I might just try mixing it with the 845 in the same way as you did with the Meg's.

ERS
02-05-2020, 08:55 PM
I wonder if the 4:1 ratio will work with the Collinite QD.

Because as a stand-alone, I was not very impressed with it.

I might just try mixing it with the 845 in the same way as you did with the Meg's.

Yea, just this week I found out about the Collinite QD. Reviews are positive but not like 845. My initial reaction to the 845 & Megs mixture was kinda shocked at the smoothness of application and the similarities of other spray waxes.

Being big fans of both products, esp 845, was the reason I am experimenting. That along with instead of full application of just 845, hopefully I'll be able to do a quick spray of an 845/Megs mix after waterless wash. I will know once I wash the GMC next time. Maybe then my Mustang will get a trial.

My concern was mixing the two products and if the ingredients would mesh together and not have a negative effect on the base protection (845).

I'm thinking not with all the people that use D156 as a topper for 845. Time will tell.