PDA

View Full Version : Pictures: 2020 Boat Detailing Class - SOLD OUT!

Pages : 1 [2]

davidk72008
02-14-2020, 08:01 AM
Hey Mike,

Thanks for putting on another awesome class. I took the 3-day car class in September and it was great, so I wanted to take the boat class to top off my training. I was not disappointed. This class was a great opportunity to learn about the differences in wetsanding/polishing gelcoat vs clear coat or single-stage auto paints. While a lot of the same principles apply, there are some difference in products and techniques that were good to see and do first-hand.

To anyone thinking of taking the class, I'd highly recommend this or the 3-day auto class. You get to put hands on all of the best tools and products in the industry so you leave with a good idea of what you prefer. This can save a lot of money when purchasing tools to startup a business by making sure you're getting exactly what you need. The discounts and credits you get also add up to quite a bit when placing orders after the class, so that helps justify the cost as well. And lastly, you get to meet a lot of cool people with similar interests to make friendships and contacts that hopefully will last a long time. Take the class!

Big thanks to Andre for helping with the class as well. He's a great source of information regarding different products and a good contact within the company to call when getting ready to order something. He's also just an all-around great guy.

Thanks again, Mike and Andre.

David Kendrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
02-14-2020, 09:57 AM
Are You using something besides water for the sanding lube?

Yes. 3-4 drops of soap. In this example it was the Marine 31 boat wash.

The soap helps to lubricate the surface as your sanding for smoother sanding experience.
The soap helps to prevent the discs from loading up (they still load up).
The soap helps the water to stay wetter on the surface longer instead of simply evaporating.
The soap gives the water the ability to cling better to a vertical surface.

That's off the top of my head...

:)

Mike Phillips
02-15-2020, 09:09 AM
Hey Mike,

Thanks for putting on another awesome class. I took the 3-day car class in September and it was great, so I wanted to take the boat class to top off my training. I was not disappointed. This class was a great opportunity to learn about the differences in wetsanding/polishing gelcoat vs clear coat or single-stage auto paints. While a lot of the same principles apply, there are some difference in products and techniques that were good to see and do first-hand.

To anyone thinking of taking the class, I'd highly recommend this or the 3-day auto class. You get to put hands on all of the best tools and products in the industry so you leave with a good idea of what you prefer. This can save a lot of money when purchasing tools to startup a business by making sure you're getting exactly what you need. The discounts and credits you get also add up to quite a bit when placing orders after the class, so that helps justify the cost as well. And lastly, you get to meet a lot of cool people with similar interests to make friendships and contacts that hopefully will last a long time. Take the class!

Big thanks to Andre for helping with the class as well. He's a great source of information regarding different products and a good contact within the company to call when getting ready to order something. He's also just an all-around great guy.

Thanks again, Mike and Andre.

David Kendrick

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wow!

Now that's a great review because in my honest opinion - its' accurate.

I'm really glad you like the class David and just as important, I appreciate your trust to sign-up for, pay and take 2 classes from your truly. As you witnessed first hand in both classes, they are EXTREMELY on-your-feet and hands-on and there's for the most part, very little butt-time in chairs.

:dblthumb2:

Shawn D
02-15-2020, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to thank Mike and Andre on a great boat detailing class; definitely a great training class

Mike Phillips
02-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Just wanted to thank Mike and Andre on a great boat detailing class; definitely a great training class

Thanks Shawn!

It was a pleasure to work with you over the course of the 2 days. I hope you agree, the class was EXACTLY as I advertised it to be and that is

100% HANDS-ON

Mike Phillips
02-17-2020, 02:51 PM
:updated:

Finally getting time to PHOTO-DOCUMENT this class.

Hey, if there's no pictures... it didn't happen. I don't know of any other "real" boat detailing classes in the U.S.A. or anywhere else for that matter. If there are any other boat detailing classes - there's no photo-documentation to prove it or show people what they get to do when they plunk down their hard-earned cash to take this class.

I'm going through the pictures right now but here's a picture from the Meet-n-Greet at the Marriott on Saturday night.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3955/2020_Boat_Meet_n_Greet.JPG

The Meet-n-Greet is my favorite part of all my classes. We go around the table and I usually ask three questions.

1: Why did you take the class?

2: What was your favorite part of the class or favorite tool/product?

3: What do you have in the garage or on the boat trailer at home?

And it's always interesting. My classes always attract high caliber people from all walks of life. It would be easy to think anyone taking a boat detailing class or even one of my car detailing classes is just some simple detailer - but that's so far from the truth. Everyone has an interesting and diverse background and most are highly educated.

Like I say, the Meet-n-Greet is my favorite part.

Next Meet-n-Greet is this Saturday for my first 3-day class of the year. By the time Saturday night gets here, the class will have detailed 12 cars and used every major brand and type of tool.

3-4 people that just took the boat class will be back for this car detailing class. Here's what they will be training on.

Training Cars for the February 2020 3-day Car Detailing Bootcamp Class (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/3-day-car-detailing-bootcamp-classes-info-and-dates/125373-training-cars-february-2020-3-day-car-detailing-bootcamp-class.html)

Dano shine
02-17-2020, 06:14 PM
What a awesome job you guys.

MartinS
02-18-2020, 03:11 PM
This class was everything as advertised and more. I would like to do it again next year!

Mike Phillips
02-18-2020, 04:00 PM
This class was everything as advertised and more. I would like to do it again next year!

Hi Martin,

Thank you for attending. If you look at the first page of this thread I have started adding pictures from the class.

I like to put the pictures in order so they tell a story, so the pictures I just added are to 100% completely photo-document the BEFORE condition of the boats.

Stay tuned, takes more time to put pictures into a thread on a forum compared to sharing a picture on Facebook.

Dockside Ready Boat Detailing
02-19-2020, 09:54 AM
Hi Mike,

Just wanted to share my feedback. This is my second time attending this class. I also attended the 2019 Boat Detailing Class.

This class is a awesome! You won’t be disappointed. it’s a great learning experience.

Seriously, you will learn so much in 2days. The time goes by so fast . If u have a business u will grow after taking this class!

The experience you get in Mike’s class is like no other. I personally have learned more than I ever expected. It’s amazing how much hands on learning and experience you get. It has allowed me to try out and work with multiple tools, products, materials, learn different techniques, ask questions, meet new people.

Mike teaches in away no one else does. He answers questions with great detail. No boring answers. He is a exceptional teacher with incredible knowledge!

Heidi Felts
Dockside Ready Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/Docksideready/)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
02-19-2020, 09:59 AM
Hi Mike,

Just wanted to share my feedback. This is my second time attending this class. I also attended the 2019 Boat Detailing Class.

This class is a awesome! You won’t be disappointed. it’s a great learning experience.

Seriously, you will learn so much in 2days. The time goes by so fast . If u have a business u will grow after taking this class!

The experience you get in Mike’s class is like no other. I personally have learned more than I ever expected. It’s amazing how much hands on learning and experience you get. It has allowed me to try out and work with multiple tools, products, materials, learn different techniques, ask questions, meet new people.

Mike teaches in away no one else does. He answers questions with great detail. No boring answers. He is a exceptional teacher with incredible knowledge!

Heidi Felts
Dockside Ready Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/Docksideready/)

Thank you Heidi!

It was a genuine pleasure to have you in the class again. You are such a hard worker. I'm always impressed.

I took a moment to look at ALL THE BOATS YOU HAVE DETAILED on your Facebook page - one word...

INCREDIBLE!

For anyone interested, check out Heidi's Facebook page, she does amazing boat detailing. I would not only recommend her to anyone that want's a professional to detail their boat I would I would vouch for her skills and knowledge, she's a true professional.

Check out Heidi's work here! (https://www.facebook.com/pg/Docksideready/photos/?ref=page_internal)

Rodny
02-21-2020, 08:15 PM
No matter how many years of experience in the detailing business you have had, there is always something new to learn. It is the first time that I go to a class of Mike Phillips and I can say that it is the best. Not only is the hands on training which is very intensive, it is the amount of information, because Mike never stops talking.

When you enter the Autogeek's Show Car Garage, you feel impressed with the amount of tools you can use. If there is something you have not tried before, you can be sure that you can test that tool and compare it with the one you are using or if you were curious to try a new tool in the market, you can also do it because he has it.

This class allows each of the participants to have the 101 experience, Mike and Andre are constantly checking your work, if you have any questions you can ask them and you will have an answer. The products that were used in the process are of good quality and help you work easier.

My experience was better than expected, I shared time with other professionals in the business, I returned home with my certificate, great knowledge and new friends.

Thank you Mike and Andre!!!

Rodny Quintero

LVH
02-27-2020, 08:35 PM
I would definitely recommend this class. I personally learned a ton.

We covered every step necessary to renew a neglected oxidized boat and bring it back to life.

The biggest knowledge gaps for me were in machine sanding, DA polishing, and ceramic coatings.

Being able to get hands on with all the tools and materials cemented my knowledge and gave me an outstanding foundation to take back home with me.

Thanks Mike and Andre.

Markymapo
02-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Wow boats look awesome. Did the class use any cordless polishers. I Have a home up in NE PA on Lake wallenpaupack which is slightly frozen and come May it’s time to compound n polish the boat (25 ft Cobalt bow rider) .have no power where the boat is stored so I currently use a cordless FlexPE 150-18 (rotary, n wool pads)and XFE 150-18 (orbital, rupes blue coarse pads, etc). Does the new cordless flex beast xce 8-125 (I think that’s the #) offer any advantage to the other 2 cordless I have ( I also have the flex cordless pixie). Been using Mike,s Marine 31 detailing boat for references . Unfortunately work gets in the way of taking the hands on class listed here.

Mike Phillips
03-04-2020, 04:57 PM
I would definitely recommend this class. I personally learned a ton.

We starated on time at 7:30am and didn't stop until 5:30pm each day. It was 100% hands-on and the ONLY time you had any butt-time was for a quick lunch. During the class I did what I call a,

Brain Dump

I basically took everything in my brain, and also in my boat detailing book, (which the Autogeek store says is now discontinued (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3955/Discontinued1.JPG)), and unloaded it in the class and into your brain. Thus, a brain dump.

We covered every step necessary to renew a neglected oxidized boat and bring it back to life.

And the reason I bring in boats in HORRIBLE condition is because with a boat in horrible condition I can teach you everything and in a responsible and professional manner. It would be SO much easier to bring in brand new shiny, clean boats but then I couldn't teach you anything "professionally".

In this context, the word professionally means to do no harm as well as do the job right. I could show people how to machine sand a brand new boat but that would not be professional. It was remove perfectly good gel-coat for no good reason except for training purposes and to me - that's not professional.

The biggest knowledge gaps for me were in machine sanding, DA polishing, and ceramic coatings.

Machine sanding is an art form when done correctly and once you learn the correct techniques - it's easy!

Being able to get hands on with all the tools and materials cemented my knowledge and gave me an outstanding foundation to take back home with me.

Thanks Mike and Andre.

Thank you for attending. Thank you for your trust in the Autogeek name as well as my name. And about Andre? I couldn't do the class without him he's such a hard worker here at Autogeek.