PDA

View Full Version : Why am I getting these water spots?

Pages : [1] 2

Jayfro
01-27-2020, 10:37 AM
I’ve noticed the last couple of times that I’ve washed my car with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo that I’m getting these dark water spots.

When washing, the car has been in the shade, mild temps (around the 60’s), using approximately 4 gallons of water with just under one ounce of product, and using ten to twelve Forrest Green MF towels. After washing, I use a leaf blower to blow off the excess water and followed by a MF drying towel, the amount of time between washing and using the blower is anywhere between one to three minutes and from blower to towel is about one to two minutes.

To remove spots, I have to either go over it again with a towel with much harder pressure a couple of times or using Pinnacle Crystal Mist.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Jay https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200127/ecd70b56e912df421bcdfc070a5394e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

AutowerxDetailing
01-27-2020, 11:32 AM
Looks like water is drying on the vehicle and leaving spots. With the environmental conditions you've described, as well as your speedy drying process, I can't imagine why they are drying on the vehicle so quickly. You may want to try doing a flood rinse to remove most of the water from the vehicle prior to doing your "blow dry" phase. Also, while using the blower, only focus on removing water from crevices and between body panels, mirror housings, etc. and mop up the rest of the water with a good quick detailer or your favorite drying aid and you should have no issues with spotting.

chinee
01-27-2020, 01:09 PM
Yes definitely looks like water drying but I suspect it’s from between washes. After a rainfall and the water spots dry, or morning dew that’s dried as the day warms up. The dew or raindrops likely contain some level of fallout, chemicals, dust and/or minerals, which is left behind once the water evaporates.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rsurfer
01-27-2020, 02:03 PM
Your water is hard..lived in Texas for over 10 years.

Washing in the shade is fine, but if you've been driving all day in the sun and then immediately begin to wash, the surface is still hot.

Like suggested, trying using a drying aid.

damonb10
01-27-2020, 11:58 PM
I have hard water as well and deal with the same challenges. Now I wash 90% of the time with Optimum No Rinse. What a game changer!

Jayfro
01-28-2020, 08:51 AM
Thank you for all the comments. It's probably a combination of the car being warm and of course hard water! When I started washing the car, the sun had just gone behind the house across the street so it was probably still warm but not scorching hot but obviously warm enough to cause the spotting...never thought about that! I meant to put a cap full of ONR in the wash to help combat the hard water but for some reason I didn't...next time I will!

Has anyone had any experience with Optimum Car Wash, not ONR? Acura's have very soft paint so I try to do RW sparingly but when it rains during the week I try to do a 2 BM Wash instead of RW. I currently use Pinnacle RW just to keep the synergy of everything else on the car but I'm starting to look at other alternatives than their RW and normal Shampoo.

Again, thank you for the comments.

Jay

damonb10
01-28-2020, 09:19 AM
I've tried adding a cap of ONR to my bucket wash to help combat hard water but I quickly learned that the real problem is with the rinse water. The wash water is usually already conditioned from the soap. Just wanted you to know that if you have hard water for rinsing then you'll always be battling that problem regardless of your wash water.

PaulMys
01-28-2020, 06:08 PM
Thank you for all the comments. It's probably a combination of the car being warm and of course hard water! When I started washing the car, the sun had just gone behind the house across the street so it was probably still warm but not scorching hot but obviously warm enough to cause the spotting...never thought about that! I meant to put a cap full of ONR in the wash to help combat the hard water but for some reason I didn't...next time I will!

Has anyone had any experience with Optimum Car Wash, not ONR? Acura's have very soft paint so I try to do RW sparingly but when it rains during the week I try to do a 2 BM Wash instead of RW. I currently use Pinnacle RW just to keep the synergy of everything else on the car but I'm starting to look at other alternatives than their RW and normal Shampoo.

Again, thank you for the comments.

Jay

I have and use Optimum CW. It is a very good, clean rinsing car soap.

And about the ONR in the wash bucket: I too had this brilliant idea years back. (Hey! I can add a little ONR to soften the water and have the best of both worlds!)

Well, I immediately found out what the flaw in my plan was: The ONR (by nature) knocks the hell out the suds of a car soap.
I essentially made just a "souped-up" bucket of rinseless wash. ;)

57Rambler
01-28-2020, 10:06 PM
If your rinse water is hard, you could always get a 3 gallon pump-up sprayer and fill it with distilled water to use as a "final rinse" before drying. I did this for a while when we were living in an apartment waiting for our house to be built.

JJackson1313
03-09-2020, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I am having this same issue BADLY, but it's not because I'm trying to wash and not have to dry, it's because the soapy water is drying before I can get to it with a wash mitt and then rinse it off.

I am washing/rinsing/drying in the shade on "cool to the touch" cars and am fighting water spots on the paint and glass all the time.

I am filling my mobile detailing water tank with water from my home (which is well water) but it is going through the in-home water filter before coming out of the hose.

It is not cost effective for me to buy 50 gal. of distilled water at the store every day for my business and I want to believe that there is something else I can do other than spend $400 on a mobile deionizer.

Someone please help me! This is driving me crazy!

damonb10
03-09-2020, 08:50 PM
I rinseless wash my car 75% of the time now, because of those kinds of issues. Got tired of dealing with wind, hard water, certain areas drying too fast etc.... With rinseless washing, I have so much more control over what I'm doing and the results I get are just fantastic. If my car gets horribly dirty for some reason (especially in winter) I drive to the coin wash and spray it off before rinseless washing in the garage. Or, I hose it off at home and rinseless wash in the garage.

Finick
03-09-2020, 09:28 PM
I rinseless wash my car 75% of the time now, because of those kinds of issues. Got tired of dealing with wind, hard water, certain areas drying too fast etc.... With rinseless washing, I have so much more control over what I'm doing and the results I get are just fantastic. If my car gets horribly dirty for some reason (especially in winter) I drive to the coin wash and spray it off before rinseless washing in the garage. Or, I hose it off at home and rinseless wash in the garage.

There’s something peaceful about knowing you can stop if someone needs something and not come back to a mess of water spots to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damonb10
03-09-2020, 09:38 PM
There’s something peaceful about knowing you can stop if someone needs something and not come back to a mess of water spots to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo! When my young daughter just has to show me something or play with me, then it is no big deal to step away and enjoy that :-) I can start washing the car, stop part way thru to eat lunch with my wife and daughter, and then go back out and finish up.

JJackson1313
03-10-2020, 10:48 AM
Rinseless car washing sounds like the way to go, but to be honest, I know nothing about it or how it works.

For those of your who do rinseless washing, would you mind sharing what you use and your technique (how it works)? I realize that I can google this, but figured I would get better and more reliable information from you guys.

Anything you can share with me on this subject would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

damonb10
03-10-2020, 02:29 PM
My process is spelled out below and keep in mind I wash my car about once every 1-2 weeks thru all seasons (including Minnesota winters).
1. If car is extremely dirty (usually after bad run of weather in the winter), I'll do a quick spray down at the coin-op and then drive the car home wet. Otherwise, skip to step 2.
2. I use Optimum No Rinse (ONR). I mix about 3 gallons of rinseless solution.
3. For wash media, I use 4-6 Rag Company "Creature" towels. Throw them all in the rinseless solution bucket.
4. I always use a small pump sprayer (Solo brand). I dunk the small sprayer container in the rinseless bucket to fill it up.
5. I have on-hand and use Meguiars Synthetic Xpress Spray wax as a drying aid or Meguiars Last Touch detailer as a drying aid.
6. I'm now ready to start washing. I pick a panel or section and first spray a light amount of ONR on the surface I'm going to wash with the pump sprayer.
7. Then I grab a towel that was soaking in the bucket and proceed to wipe/wash the panel. The first time you do this you will be paranoid about scratching, but will learn quickly just how well this works. If I washed my section and I didn't use all 4 sides of the Creature towel, then I hang the towel on the edge of an empty bucket (this bucket used for ringing out the used up towels before I throw them on a hanging line to dry).
8. Then I grab my drying aid and lightly spray the washed panel.
9. Then I dry the panel with a twist loop towel such as Griot's PFM towels or Rag Company Double Twistress, etc.... Note that I'm not aiming for 100% dry here - only 90-95% dry.
10. Last step, I take a buffing towel, such as Rag Company's Eagle Edgeless and give the panel a final buff and that dries any last drops here and there.
11. After I washed all the panels, I do the wheels last. Usually a simple spray of ONR and wiping with dedicated wheel towels that are now in the bucket works for the wheels. Tires I sometimes pre-spray and scrub with APC then spray and wipe with towels in the ONR followed with a final drying of the wheels and tires with non-paint dedicated towels.

That is my process and I get fantastic results. It might seem like a lot of steps, but I'm just being detailed in what I laid out above. It actually goes pretty fast. The best part is I do this in the controlled environment of my garage.