PDA

View Full Version : making my engine shine

zbrid
03-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Winter in Michigan, usually my car just sits in the garage all covered up! But this winter I decided it was time to do some mod's to it. So I put a 5/16" spacer In between the upper & Lower Plenum, so when I had the upper plenum off ( air intake manifold ) which is cast aluminum & all pitted, I decided to sand it down and buff it out to look like chrome,I have about 20 hours in it & a case of beer! lol, I work on it a couple hours a day, I started out using a vibrator Sander using 150 grit working my way up to 400 grit & sanding it by hand & buffing it out with mothers aluminum polish using the mothers Powerball & a high speed buffer. Then I replace my engine cover with a carbon fiber one. Here are some before & after pic.

redg35
03-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Winter in Michigan, usually my car just sits in the garage all covered up! But this winter I decided it was time to do some mod's to it. So I put a 5/16" spacer In between the upper & Lower Plenum, so when I had the upper plenum off ( air intake manifold ) which is cast aluminum & all pitted, I decided to sand it down and buff it out to look like chrome,I have about 20 hours in it & a case of beer! lol, I work on it a couple hours a day, I started out using a vibrator Sander using 150 grit working my way up to 400 grit & sanding it by hand & buffing it out with mothers aluminum polish using the mothers Powerball & a high speed buffer. Then I replace my engine cover with a carbon fiber one. Here are some before & after pic.
Man that plenum looks good and i wish i had the patience to do that.

Surfer
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
& a case of beer! lol,And in the end, if it didn't come out good, you still got the beer :cheers: