PDA

View Full Version : Which Rotary to go with?

Pages : [1] 2

Rich189
03-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Well its time for another rotary as my dewalt burned out just as I started getting really good with it (got it used for free so cant complain)Now im not sure what to upgrade to.

A little background information. I'm a state trooper during the day but detail 1-3 cars per week I will use the rotary probably every 3rd car or so as most of my customers are repeats since i wont take on many new ones ( i simply dont have the time)

Of course everyone says the metabo is the best of the best but for how often i use it the lighter weight will not make a ton of difference to me...but is it much smoother then the flex rotary or the makita to make it worth the extra cash... and also how does the flex compare to the metabo and makita. Thanks in advance for the help.

jesselyons2002
03-21-2008, 04:20 AM
Had the metabo. Didn't really like it. Sold it after 4 months of having it. Just get the makita or hitachi. You'll see more pros on this forums use te makita.

Gary Sword
03-21-2008, 05:16 AM
I have a metabo, hatachi and a DeWalt. I love the metabo. The hatachi is nice for the money. I have not had much luck with makita power tools.

Totoland Mach
03-21-2008, 06:19 AM
I use a DeWalt, a Metabo, and a Dynabrade. The DeWalt is a little too heavy for this old man. The Metabo is super light weight but I have grown to dislike the on/off switch and location of the rpm control wheel.

So, it's the Dynabrade. Lighter by a pound or 2 than DeWalt and is built just as rugged. I found out that a lot of car auction detailers use them daily for years...it's definitely 1 tough machine.

Finally, I don't know a single thing about the Makita or Hitachi.

Toto

Driven Auto Detail
03-21-2008, 06:51 AM
I currently have 3 rotaries. The Metabo, the Makita, and the Flex.

I like the weight of the Metabo, however, I don't like that the location of the switch and speed dial. I don't like that there is no trigger. For these reasons, I'm in the process of selling it.

The Makita is tried and true. You can't go wrong with this machine. Has a nice feel to it and it's not overly heavy.

The Flex is very very light-weight. I have only used it on one car but I really liked it because of the weight factor. The speed dial is set in a good location where you're right hand thumb can adjust it on the fly. It also has the trigger.

Out of the 3 that I have, I'd recommend the Makita and then the Flex. The Makita has a strong reputation so that's why I'd rank it over the Flex.

ScottB
03-22-2008, 07:12 AM
What about the Flex rotary ??? I have the Htachi and that would likely be my replacement.

Rich189
03-22-2008, 07:38 AM
What about the Flex rotary ??? I have the Htachi and that would likely be my replacement.

That is what im leaning towards as the metabo doesnt seem to be worth the price to me and even though the makita is tried and true the flex appears that it maybe easier to use due to its lighter weight hopfully someone will chime in with some more information on it

Driven Auto Detail
03-22-2008, 08:20 AM
I've got the Flex rotary (well, one of them) and it's uber-light. It's actually lighter than the orbital Flex. It's great for working on vertical panels.

richy
03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
I use a DeWalt, a Metabo, and a Dynabrade. The DeWalt is a little too heavy for this old man. The Metabo is super light weight but I have grown to dislike the on/off switch and location of the rpm control wheel.

So, it's the Dynabrade. Lighter by a pound or 2 than DeWalt and is built just as rugged. I found out that a lot of car auction detailers use them daily for years...it's definitely 1 tough machine.

Finally, I don't know a single thing about the Makita or Hitachi.

Toto

Richard..which model of Dynabrade do you use?

Junebug
04-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I have the Makita. I've used a DeWalt a few times and like the Makita better. One thing that I did - and this made a world of difference, was to take the handle off. I just use my left hand on the top of the spindal, even has these little grooves for your fingers on the underside, and use my right hand on the trigger. I think CMA has this technique on one of their how to sections now.

Dandrop
04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Bang for the buck is Hitachi.

Driven Auto Detail
04-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I had Metabo and sold it. While I had it I disliked it's ergonomics, I found it to be very unfriendly toward me.

Exact same thoughts here! That's why I sold mine as well.

Al-53
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
There was a site selling reconditioned Hitachi's for 113.00....nothing wrong with a recon..infact they most likely get all the bugs out of it...I Know Shabybreal bought one and uses it every day...and said it looked like a new one when he got it..its from the authorized repair center for Hitachi..like powerhouse is for flex..I think you get the full warranty also...

I had the link but lost it some how..google it...

Al

shadybreal
04-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hitachi SP18VA / SP18VA(H) 7” Disc Sander/Polisher (Reconditioned) (http://www.reconditionedsales.com/products/05e09d92-431c-45df-84cc-83cdb798f577.aspx)

It's on backorder though! Really nice machine.

killrflake
04-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Hitachi SP18VA / SP18VA(H) 7” Disc Sander/Polisher (Reconditioned) (http://www.reconditionedsales.com/products/05e09d92-431c-45df-84cc-83cdb798f577.aspx)

It's on backorder though! Really nice machine.
Seems like a great place to pick up recon tools if your on a budget. I might try ordering the Hitachi rotary as I have little reason to spend the full price on a new machine ( don't have a lot of need for one) but would like to have one available in my arsenal of tools. Thanks for the tip Shady.