PDA

View Full Version : Reapplying WDGPS

Davo67
01-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Hi,

This is my first post so be gentle. I applied a layer of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant approx. 5 months ago to my 2017 Mustang GT then a layer of Pinnacle Signature II wax over it. It is time to reapply and I would like advice regarding whether i can just reapply another layer of each over the existing layer or do I have to use a pre-wax cleaner like Wolfgang paintwork polish remover to remove the first layer.

Thanks,
Dave

MarkD51
01-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, I think you will be fine just re-applying WGDGPS after a wash and dry. It should cut through anything that's left on the paint nicely.

Bobby B.
01-03-2020, 04:54 PM
I would use the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer first. Polishing the paint surface first will get you the best results and durability from the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (https://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (https://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)

Rsurfer
01-03-2020, 05:53 PM
I would use the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer first. Polishing the paint surface first will get you the best results and durability from the Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

Wolfgang Pre-Wax Polish Enhancer is absolutely fabulous for producing that elusive, show-ready wet-shine look. This polish actually enhances and (https://www.autogeek.net/wg2000.html)

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. (https://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html)
^^^^ Do a baggie test to see if you need to clay first.

UncleDavy
01-03-2020, 05:55 PM
5 months is pretty good longevity out of the WDGPS. Clay and polish is always a good choice before applying a new layer of sealant.

MarkD51
01-03-2020, 07:08 PM
5 months is pretty good longevity out of the WDGPS. Clay and polish is always a good choice before applying a new layer of sealant.

Remember Uncle D., he said he topped it interim with another product, so no, not 5 months just from WGDGPS.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I see no basic common sense of beating your brains and body out, cutting days off your life, $50-$100 spent, and a few days worth of work of hard prep with clay, cleansers, bada bing-bada bang, just to throw another coat of the same stuff you been using.

I think it's over-thinking it all. Keep polishing, claying, stripping, and there won't be be anything left to protect!

What did we all do 30 years ago? Why am I thinking of "King Tut" at this point? LOL

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbavuReVF4)

UncleDavy
01-03-2020, 07:30 PM
Remember Uncle D., he said he topped it interim with another product, so no, not 5 months just from WGDGPS.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I see no basic common sense of beating your brains and body out, cutting days off your life, $50-$100 spent, and a few days worth of work of hard prep with clay, cleansers, bada bing-bada bang, just to throw another coat of the same stuff you been using.

I think it's over-thinking it all. Keep polishing, claying, stripping, and there won't be be anything left to protect!

What did we all do 30 years ago? Why am I thinking of "King Tut" at this point? LOL

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYbavuReVF4)

The back breaking, shoulder aching work of claying and polishing is where the fun is. I am not a professional so I look for any excuse to break out the polisher.

MarkD51
01-03-2020, 08:10 PM
The back breaking, shoulder aching work of claying and polishing is where the fun is. I am not a professional so I look for any excuse to break out the polisher.

But it's like grabbing a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Sometimes, less is more.

UncleDavy
01-03-2020, 10:13 PM
But it's like grabbing a sledge hammer to kill a fly. Sometimes, less is more.

Killing a fly with a sledge hammer? Now that’s cool!

Davo67
01-04-2020, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. The GT has only 3000 miles on it so the paintwork is in great condition. I will do the baggie test tomorrow to see if I need to clay bar. If I don't need to clay I will weigh up if I need to use the Wolfgang Polish Enhancer.

hoyt66
01-04-2020, 06:30 AM
I agree with everything from clay, paint cleanser/polish to simply wash and reapply. For me, an enthusiast, I like to use a fine clay towel after washing

Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel, clay towel (https://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-clay-towel.html)

then reapply. That said if the paint is in decent condition.

If I have more time I will wash, clay towel, paint cleanse and then reapply

MarkD51
01-04-2020, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. The GT has only 3000 miles on it so the paintwork is in great condition. I will do the baggie test tomorrow to see if I need to clay bar. If I don't need to clay I will weigh up if I need to use the Wolfgang Polish Enhancer.

Hello again Davo67.

Everyone here has of course good intentions, and as well different opinions. Maybe on a different day I'd suggest going to the nines with a full blown decon, clay, polishing, all that good stuff.

The other members who've responded to you, I respect them, and their opinions, all are fine experienced members here.

Not trying to be philosophical here, but reckon you ultimately must decide just how far you wish, or should say "need" to go to accomplish the tasks set before you.

To judge condition, and what condition of paint do you need to have to achieve to your personal satisfaction?

Good to mention the baggie test, that will identify just how clean your paint, and glass is.

And yes, just after a few month's time, a vehicle often won't pass such a test. Fallout, road grime, saps, you're in your summer there at the moment.

The WG Polish Enhancer will work as a cleaner. Might not need to go further than that? I'm saying this first, because the possible need of resorting to Claying can have its side effects. Namely, slight marring and scratching of the paint, even with the gentlest of Clays.

Many factors, how hard the paint is, how bad the above surface contaminants are to necessitate Claying?

Common knowledge most certainly, everyone here will agree, any and all paint protectant products will bond better to clean paint that's free of contaminants.

If such leads to a need of Polishing, either by hand or machine, those are steps which you'll have to make a judgement call on, and whether or not such needs to be done at any given time.

And it's why I say that "less is better" in many regards. The keep it simple principle applies.

Sure, many of us "stateside" members on the other side of the globe have much easier access to the vast array of Autogeek Products. That we can select from our arsenals a good number of decon-cleaning products to use prior to applying an LSP. Thus can often make a better and wiser judgement call of what might be the ticket to use to attain desirable end results.

Some might simply pick up an AIO (All in One) product that can clean, and protect in one simple step. Others might select separate dedicated products to achieve the same goals. Many paths which can take you to the same end results, and some can save time, work, and money.

We all have different approaches, but I'll still stand by what I've said earlier and say that I myself am such a person, that every time I wish to apply an LSP, I surely don't wish to, or hope to not feel the urgent need of pulling out polishes, polishers, pads, clay, iron-x, etc etc just to clean things up and get some protection on a vehicle.

That again less can be more.

Markymapo
01-04-2020, 09:01 AM
I have WGDGS topped with pinnacle wax on my M4 for 7 months. Once it was time to reapply I ended up wash, clay, light polish but only because of all the pine trees in the area leave micro dots of sap on car even though I wash n lsp every week. Have fun!