PDA

View Full Version : Glass care on the coast

Ocean Winds
12-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Hi all,
My first post. I’ve been detailing cars since I was 16 and I love learning about new products.
We live on the Oregon coast. I’ve never lived in a coastal town before. Lots of rust and sea air. I cannot get my truck windows clean. I’ve tried a few glass cleaners, Sprayway, Invisible Glass, Windex.....all it does is smear the sea air film. I have to use soap and water. Sometimes I just want to clean the windows quickly. Any products that will do that?
Thanks,
christine

Rsurfer
12-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. It depends how often you clean your glass. Salt mist can be a real PITA. Plain water first with a damp cloth to remove the bulk and then alcohol with two towels. Any glass cleaner you mentioned will work, but you need to take the bulk off first. If you don't, as you experienced, you will just end up with a smeared windshield.

Ocean Winds
12-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks. It’s keeping me on my toes!

Bill D
12-30-2019, 02:04 PM
When not dealing with salt on windows here on the coast, one seems to have to deal with a perpetual haze as well. I plan on experimenting with numerous cleaners and towels in effort to finally beat it. The rest of the car looks fantastic, it’s time to give the haze the boot

kb2ehj
12-30-2019, 03:46 PM
I swear by this method (inside and out). Goto about 4:40 into the video when he really gets talking about his method.
YouTube (https://youtu.be/zPCEx5KHolc)

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Ocean Winds
12-30-2019, 04:12 PM
I swear by this method (inside and out). Goto about 4:40 into the video when he really gets talking about his method.
YouTube (https://youtu.be/zPCEx5KHolc)

see?? That’s why I love these forums!! I never would have thought about the Magic Eraser! Can’t wait to try it!
thanks.

kb2ehj
01-01-2020, 07:02 PM
see?? That’s why I love these forums!! I never would have thought about the Magic Eraser! Can’t wait to try it!
thanks.

Let us know how it worked for you

Coatingsarecrack
01-02-2020, 01:24 AM
Im geussing the magic eraser is a no go on tint?

What about the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb2ehj
01-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Im geussing the magic eraser is a no go on tint?

What about the windshield?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as your not pushing really hard, I don't see a problem on window tint. But honestly I don't have tinted windows so I've never tried it.

I use this method on all glass, side, back, front.

OMGClayAiken
01-19-2020, 09:09 PM
Once you get the windows clean you might consider something like Aquapel or another glass coating to protect and keep them cleaner longer. I'm in Oregon too and won't drive without aquapel on my windshield- such a nice convenience.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk