PDA

View Full Version : So many products to choose from. I need some help.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 10:29 AM
Hi All,

I just moved to a new-to-me silver vehicle (Lexus GX-470) after having owned black and other dark colored vehicles my whole life. I miss the rich deep color, but not obsessing over every minute swirl etc...Living in the Northeast, road salt and other chemicals are something we have to deal with for months out of the year so I am looking for extreme durability. After watching hours worth of videos and reading up in the forums, I'm still undecided as to what products to use. And it's driving me crazy.

Way back when I used the Klasse Twins and called it a day. As for the latest vehicle, my products consist of the following after correction:

Optimum Car Wash
Collonite 845
Collonite 476 (Hood, Door Jams, etc..)
Duragloss Aqua Wax as a drying aid

It works. But I am wondering if I could do better? I was thinking of adding Power Lock Plus prior to 845 as I have seen a lot of good reviews of the combo. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to be so many to choose from these days. I love CarPro's Perl for trim and tires....for example. And their whole line looks fantastic. I don't think I am ready to try a full ceramic coating. So I guess my question is, is adding the Power lock plus a good move? Is the 845 on top really just a sacrificial layer that will be gone in a few days of a VT winter? And is there something better than the Duragloss?

I'm open to suggestions or criticism. Thank you!

Bobby

OMGClayAiken
12-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Mike Phillips says to find something you like and use it frequently, or something to that effect. I think that's great advice and most products these days are good quality and will get the job done. Also, don't be afraid to experiment. If ceramic is something you want to try, go for it. It's not that big of a deal - you can do it. I use a lot of the carpro line and love it. Car care should be about having fun so give it a shot!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

MarkD51
12-29-2019, 11:48 AM
All the products you've chosen are good.

I'd say if possible, considering temperature conditions, I'd do the entire vehicle with Colly #476. Then every few months if again possible, use Colly #845 to maintain. Both are relatively inexpensive. And both are Hybrids, Natural Waxes, and Poly Sealants combined.

Duragloss Aquawax is very nice, and again inexpensive. Can be used as a drying aid and detailer spray after a wash. It's another product which I usually have in my arsenal.

PERL, I've used it and have it. Nice product, but for tires and exterior trim it doesn't last. Washes off very easily. I'd say it's more ideally an interior protectant. Or to spruce up under hood plastic.

Wolfgang WETS is a much better trim protectant IMO, lasts longer, great for rubber too, a little goes a long way, but expensive if you wish to use it for tires. Another choice for trim would be Aerospace 303.

I like Optimum products for Tires, like Opti-Bond Gel, and their Tire Shine. Lasts a little longer than PERL I've found. There's others

For tires, and if you wish maximum, longer lasting protection than any gels-dressings, I might then look to a tire coating, Tuf Shine, or others, McKees-etc?

Hope this helps.

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 02:16 PM
Thanks Folks. I thought it was just me in terms of PERL not having great longevity. I used it undiluted on the tires and never really found it to last very long. I've been curious about McKees products. My only concern with experimenting would be products that don't play well together.

MarkD51
12-29-2019, 02:28 PM
Thanks Folks. I thought it was just me in terms of PERL not having great longevity. I used it undiluted on the tires and never really found it to last very long. I've been curious about McKees products. My only concern with experimenting would be products that don't play well together.

With products such as Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) one usually doesn't have to go really nuts with removal of other trim products, that WETS won't work properly and bond.

But with Coatings such as Carpro CQuartz DLX for Trim, then yes, parts need to be thoroughly cleaned of any other protectants previously used.

Same with any of the Tire Coating products, they won't properly bond unless the tires are rigorously cleaned of any other, lesser tire products.

I liken some of these Tire Coating products, and one I've tried, Tuf Shine to almost being like an Acrylic Floor Wax. A Watery Liquid which dries.

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 02:40 PM
With products such as Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS) one usually doesn't have to go really nuts with removal of other trim products, that WETS won't work properly and bond.

But with Coatings such as Carpro CQuartz DLX for Trim, then yes, parts need to be thoroughly cleaned of any other protectants previously used.

Same with any of the Tire Coating products, they won't properly bond unless the tires are rigorously cleaned of any other, lesser tire products.

I liken some of these Tire Coating products, and one I've tried, Tuf Shine to almost being like an Acrylic Floor Wax. A Watery Liquid which dries.

Interesting....I will have to look check out WETS. I'm not familiar with it at all.

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 03:27 PM
Just looked it up. Definitely interested in giving it a try for the trim.....I think you're right about it getting a little spendy for use on tires.

PaulMys
12-29-2019, 05:32 PM
McKee's Plastic Trim Restorer is just as good as WETS. (I have both, and I'd swear they are identical).

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 05:55 PM
McKee's Plastic Trim Restorer is just as good as WETS. (I have both, and I'd swear they are identical).

Ugh....This is exactly what I mean! All of these companies seem to be exceedingly good at making great stuff these days. I bet there is quite a bit of overlap in active ingredients. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with any of the aforementioned products. I just applied PERL to some of my exterior trim.....what would be the best way to apply the WETS or McKees, IPA wipe down then re-coat or just wait until it wears off etc...?

PaulMys
12-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Ugh....This is exactly what I mean! All of these companies seem to be exceedingly good at making great stuff these days. I bet there is quite a bit of overlap in active ingredients. Seems like it's hard to go wrong with any of the aforementioned products. I just applied PERL to some of my exterior trim.....what would be the best way to apply the WETS or McKees, IPA wipe down then re-coat or just wait until it wears off etc...?

Just wait until it wears off. (Won't be long with PERL. Lol)

Then just wash and apply the WETS/McKee's.

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Just wait until it wears off. (Won't be long with PERL. Lol)

Then just wash and apply the WETS/McKee's.

Truth! I expected more. Still like the product, but perhaps my expectations were a little too high and unreasonable. I can get past a bit of longevity but streaking after a rain is not something I enjoy seeing. Sounds like I won't have to worry with either McKees or Wolfgang.

PaulMys
12-29-2019, 06:09 PM
Truth! I expected more. Still like the product, but perhaps my expectations were a little too high and unreasonable. I can get past a bit of longevity but streaking after a rain is not something I enjoy seeing. Sounds like I won't have to worry with either McKees or Wolfgang.

I'm on week 15 with McKee's, and it's still going strong.....

MarkD51
12-29-2019, 06:41 PM
Thanks Paul for this info. (McKees vs WG)

Spreading Wolfgang WETS is almost like trying to spread Mazola Corn Oil. It is an oily product, but like a "silicone oily". And like I said, a little goes far.

For small parts and areas, let's say the weatherstrip on a trunk lid, a door, under hood rubber gaskets, rubber "buggy baby" bumpers (LOL) Egg Crate Front Plastic Grills, then take a foam applicator pad, or even just a cut section of such. A couple drops, spread, and you'll always find over-application.

You might have to come back, smooth, even, remove over-application, or maybe missed a spot.

You might want to wear nitrile gloves. And the Bottle of WETS IMO has a crap snap-push open Bottle Top, messy, poor choice for this product. Because after you use it, you will be needing a wipe down on the bottle, it will be messy and slippery. What you wipe down off the bottle will almost be enough to coat a Pickup's Step Bumper! LOL

Sorry to be hard, but I am fair and truthful to a fault. Still, I'll say this about WETS, I love this product! Top flight IMO.

Tieguy77
12-29-2019, 06:54 PM
Thanks Paul for this info. (McKees vs WG)

Spreading Wolfgang WETS is almost like trying to spread Mazola Corn Oil. It is an oily product, but like a "silicone oily". And like I said, a little goes far.

For small parts and areas, let's say the weatherstrip on a trunk lid, a door, under hood rubber gaskets, rubber "buggy baby" bumpers (LOL) Egg Crate Front Plastic Grills, then take a foam applicator pad, or even just a cut section of such. A couple drops, spread, and you'll always find over-application.

You might have to come back, smooth, even, remove over-application, or maybe missed a spot.

You might want to wear nitrile gloves. And the Bottle of WETS IMO has a crap snap-push open Bottle Top, messy, poor choice for this product. Because after you use it, you will be needing a wipe down on the bottle, it will be messy and slippery. What you wipe down off the bottle will almost be enough to coat a Pickup's Step Bumper! LOL

Sorry to be hard, but I am fair and truthful to a fault. Still, I'll say this about WETS, I love this product! Top flight IMO.

Thanks Mark, going to pull the trigger on the WETS. From what I've seen you say, I should NOT be overly concerned with a 4 oz. bottle not going far enough.

MarkD51
12-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Thanks Mark, going to pull the trigger on the WETS. From what I've seen you say, I should NOT be overly concerned with a 4 oz. bottle not going far enough.

I think I started with a 4oz bottle, then upped to an 8oz, and the last time I bought another bottle about 1-1/2 months ago, it was a pint!

I've not found a product I like better on rubber weatherstrip. Some like those Gummi Fledge applicators. me not so much.

"Mikey Likes It!" LOL

YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9-tm-F4b4)