PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a simple kit to get started

Pages : [1] 2

ChilliGilly
12-26-2019, 08:54 PM
I've been doing some reading on here and the google machine, and I landed on a couple brands that I have read good things about (Adams & Chemical Guys). They both make a sort of "starter" kit that I can get for about $120 on Amazon that has the basic products as well as a foam gun. I am not a professional detailer by any means but I do want a half decent set of products to clean and then to protect my truck and wifes car. In the past I have seen what weather does to black rubberized trim, fake leather & vinyl interior parts and dashboards, and all black plastic parts like mirrors.

The two kits I'm looking at are the CG aresnal builder here; https://www.amazon.ca/Chemical-Guys-HOL126-14-Piece-Arsenal/dp/B06Y1MGNGC?th=1

or the Adam's kit, which is quite a bit more costly here; https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NBWTSCJ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07NBWTSCJ&pd_rd_w=P8WMs&pf_rd_p=4b7c8c1c-293f-4b1e-a49a-8787dff31bcb&pd_rd_wg=KBBTC&pf_rd_r=DEHMNFPQMDXARSNKHCHG&pd_rd_r=a272cb62-357a-4b88-9216-b2b9cec2a082&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV1FMRk9KT0gwR0smZ W5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzODc0NzZVMkRPTTJZSlVFN0cmZW5jcnl wdGVkQWRJZD1BMDU4NzE4MDFVSENNN1NGU1QzT0Ymd2lkZ2V0T mFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9 Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Like I said, I don't need professional products but I do want something simple to clean and protect my vehicles. Does anybody have any objections to either of the two companies/kits?

I'd just really like to move away from the Canadian Tire cheap generic brand stuff and into something that works a little better, but without going too hardcore.

Thanks!

PaulMys
12-26-2019, 09:09 PM
Do yourself a favor and look up Griot's or McKee's products.

In todays world, the line between "professional" and "consumer" has become very blurred as these companies are trying to hit the sweet spot between professional detailers, and the rest of us guys/gals who want the very best.

ChilliGilly
12-26-2019, 10:16 PM
Yes it’s very overwhelming with all the options of products out there now lol. Every time I turn around people are talking about a new brand or product that works the best.

Kmarth
12-27-2019, 09:37 AM
Agreed , you can’t go wrong with either Griots or Mckees , quality products by both companies and you can call them with any questions to help you get started

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

dcjredline
12-27-2019, 03:55 PM
At minimum keep away from the Chemical Guys products in general. They do have some good products but more marketing than product building.

Adams is better than CG but for the price not that good.

Stick here with AG and pick a kit that covers the whole car.

Griots, 303, Meguiars, McKees, CarPro, Optimum.

PA DETAILER
12-27-2019, 04:58 PM
McKess makes some fine products. Check out their kits.

Car Care Kits (https://www.mckees37.com/rv-polishing-waxing-detailing-kits.html#)

luckydawg
12-27-2019, 05:26 PM
Griot's Garage Car Care, Griots Garage Detailing Products, Griotsgarage (https://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html)
Look about half way down

57Rambler
12-27-2019, 07:55 PM
A lot of the "kits" seem to compromise or leave out needed items in order to keep costs down. For example, the kits you linked mainly cover washing.

The most complete kit I see here on the AG store is this one from Wolfgang :

Wolfgang Interior / Exterior Combo Kit contains three of our outstanding exterior products, two exceptional interior leather care products, and an (https://www.autogeek.net/wg9500.html)

Then add :

303 Aerospace Protectant for exterior trim.

A tire dressing like Duragloss 253.

Some additional microfiber towels for drying and polishing/waxing, a couple wash mitts, and a tire brush.

A couple 5 gal. buckets for $5/ea. at Home Depot.

With the above you will have washing, minor paint correction, paint protection, interior and exterior protection, and tires pretty well covered. And utilizing a 25% off sale here at AG, you should come in for nearly the same amount as one of those "wash" kits you mentioned (minus the foam gun).

spazzz
12-27-2019, 08:05 PM
My eyes hurt looking at those Canadian dollar amounts.

I wouldn't worry about a foam gun to get started.

Some shampoo(Meguiars Hyper-wash 38),
sealant(Collinite 845 is 34) which is enough to do 30 cars....probably more,
Meguiars Quik wax is 10 something your money for drying aid,

Some wash mitts and microfibers for drying and wax/detail spray removal??....your choice.
A grit guard is 10
Mothers VLR for vinyl/leather/rubber is 10.
Shopping on Amazon ca is painful

Although you can order from Autogeek with a sale and pay the shipping which might be $65

PaulMys
12-27-2019, 08:16 PM
A lot of the "kits" seem to compromise or leave out needed items in order to keep costs down. For example, the kits you linked mainly cover washing.

The most complete kit I see here on the AG store is this one from Wolfgang :

Wolfgang Interior / Exterior Combo Kit contains three of our outstanding exterior products, two exceptional interior leather care products, and an (https://www.autogeek.net/wg9500.html)

Then add :

303 Aerospace Protectant for exterior trim.

A tire dressing like Duragloss 253.

Some additional microfiber towels for drying and polishing/waxing, a couple wash mitts, and a tire brush.

A couple 5 gal. buckets for $5/ea. at Home Depot.

With the above you will have washing, minor paint correction, paint protection, interior and exterior protection, and tires pretty well covered. And utilizing a 25% off sale here at AG, you should come in for nearly the same amount as one of those "wash" kits you mentioned (minus the foam gun).

Not a bad kit, but I might disagree on adding the 303 Aerospace.

I would go with WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) any day of the week over 303.

57Rambler
12-27-2019, 08:20 PM
My bad, I overlooked that he's in Canadia ...

57Rambler
12-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Not a bad kit, but I might disagree on adding the 303 Aerospace.

I would go with WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) any day of the week over 303.

Funny, I was going to list WETS or McKee's37 Trim Restorer instead, but went with 303 to save a few $'s ... :rolleyes:

PaulMys
12-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Funny, I was going to list WETS or McKee's37 Trim Restorer instead, but went with 303 to save a few $'s ... :rolleyes:

Funny, I was going to add McKee's but didn't want to muddle the pot. :laughing::laughing:

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-28-2019, 01:31 AM
At minimum keep away from the Chemical Guys products in general. They do have some good products but more marketing than product building.

Adams is better than CG but for the price not that good.

Stick here with AG and pick a kit that covers the whole car.

Griots, 303, Meguiars, McKees, CarPro, Optimum.

I disagree with you on Adam's, while they do have a few products that are crazy overpriced. They have a lot of decent priced, good products. Some are downright cheap, their iron remover's $50 a gallon, but they always have a sale going any more. It smells worlds better than any other I've used and is half the price of Iron X and a lot of the competitors. Adam's has one of the better priced line ups considering the quality. Ironically it's their polishes that are WTH overpriced lol. Right now the 50ml of their new UV ceramic coating's $64. that's pretty insane.

ChillyGilly - if you don't mind a bit of unknown. Adam's has a Sticker Bomb Mystery Bucket - $69 and you get $120+ worth of products. Since you don't have anything imho this would be a good deal and give you a lot of the basics. And there are multiple people who have gotten a $200 polishes + a bunch of bottles of chemicals in their mystery boxes. You could order this, and when you get it see what else you need/want and spend the rest of the $120 on it since you'd have like $50 left over.

ChilliGilly
12-28-2019, 01:55 AM
I disagree with you on Adam's, while they do have a few products that are crazy overpriced. They have a lot of decent priced, good products. Some are downright cheap, their iron remover's $50 a gallon, but they always have a sale going any more. It smells worlds better than any other I've used and is half the price of Iron X and a lot of the competitors. Adam's has one of the better priced line ups considering the quality. Ironically it's their polishes that are WTH overpriced lol. Right now the 50ml of their new UV ceramic coating's $64. that's pretty insane.

ChillyGilly - if you don't mind a bit of unknown. Adam's has a Sticker Bomb Mystery Bucket - $69 and you get $120+ worth of products. Since you don't have anything imho this would be a good deal and give you a lot of the basics. And there are multiple people who have gotten a $200 polishes + a bunch of bottles of chemicals in their mystery boxes. You could order this, and when you get it see what else you need/want and spend the rest of the $120 on it since you'd have like $50 left over.

Yes I wondered about that. That's a good idea.