PDA

View Full Version : Clearcut Dust

Pages : [1] 2

mrmarkmac
12-26-2019, 07:06 PM
I’m trying Carpro clearcut for the first time. Trying to bring back to life a 2005 Xterra that has some oxidation on horizontal surfaces and just lots of swirls on vertical panels. The oxidized areas of the hood took a few iterations of the 2-3 light passes then 2-3 pressure passes to finish. Using orange Lake Country, swapping to new clean pad after hood, and after one side.

my question is about the dust. Carpro suggests it’s non-dust, but holy hell, I have loads of dust. So much dust that I will need to wash down with reset before moving to the Essence extreme phase.

should I be seeing loads of dust, or am I doing something wrong with the product? I’ve used Essence a few times and very little to no dust.

Should also note the xterra was washed, clayed, and ironx before starting with clearcut.

The Guz
12-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Dusting is normal with it from my experience. Especially if it is over worked. How many section passes are you doing?

I am also surprised you are getting dusting from Essence.

vobro
12-26-2019, 09:00 PM
I never had much dust with Clearcut, are you priming the pad? How much are you applying to pad?

Rsurfer
12-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Dusting is normal with it from my experience. Especially if it is over worked. How many section passes are you doing?

OP did say little to no dust with Essence.

mrmarkmac
12-26-2019, 09:56 PM

I’m doing 2-3 passes with little to no pressure, the. 2-3 with increasing pressure until clear.

mrmarkmac
12-26-2019, 09:57 PM
I never had much dust with Clearcut, are you priming the pad? How much are you applying to pad?

I’m priming the pad, and then using 3 or 4 pea size drops per 2x2 section.

mrmarkmac
12-26-2019, 09:58 PM
With a recent order here, I received a free bottle of pad conditioner. I tried using it today on the pad before priming it. Maybe that’s causing it to dust?

Mgavin1985
12-26-2019, 11:49 PM
Go to know thanks always wanted to play with it.

The Guz
12-27-2019, 04:00 AM
OP did say little to no dust with Essence.

I am just surprised to hear any dusting with it. I have not had that happen when I used it.

I’m doing 2-3 passes with little to no pressure, the. 2-3 with increasing pressure until clear.

Try 2 passes on low speed with no pressure followed by 2 passes on a higher speed and more pressure just as the label states. I don't prime the pad with Clearcut so you could try that as well.

DBAILEY
12-27-2019, 10:41 AM
He said that he is removing visible oxidation. You are removing a lot of dead clearcoat. It would be normal for your pads to load up quickly and cause dusting.

vobro
12-27-2019, 12:35 PM
He said that he is removing visible oxidation. You are removing a lot of dead clearcoat. It would be normal for your pads to load up quickly and cause dusting.

Good point

mrmarkmac
12-27-2019, 01:00 PM

that was what I was assuming, but when I moved on to better panels it was still dusty. Started using Guz suggestion if two easy passes then 2 with pressure. Still not zero dust but a lot less.

mrmarkmac
12-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Given the truck is covered in dust now, what is the normal course of action for the second stage paint correction? Planning to do Essence Extreme next, then CQUK. I’ve always finished previous cars with essence then straight to eraser and CQUK. I’m just concerned there is so much dust that will contaminate the CQUK somewhere.

The Guz
12-27-2019, 02:39 PM
that was what I was assuming, but when I moved on to better panels it was still dusty. Started using Guz suggestion if two easy passes then 2 with pressure. Still not zero dust but a lot less.

Unfortunately it is not a dust free compound. CarPro needs to get rid of that from their label. At least you got better results. If you want zero dusting then I would look into Sonax Cut Max, Meguiar's M110 or 3D ACA.

Given the truck is covered in dust now, what is the normal course of action for the second stage paint correction? Planning to do Essence Extreme next, then CQUK. I’ve always finished previous cars with essence then straight to eraser and CQUK. I’m just concerned there is so much dust that will contaminate the CQUK somewhere.

Do you have any N914? You could use that as a waterless wash to remove it. You could also use Eraser and a go slightly more heavy.

mrmarkmac
12-27-2019, 02:43 PM
I have Ech2O that I can use as a rinsless or waterless wash. I was just thinking of even spraying it down with water to get the dust off. Given I’m going over it again with essence, it would clean up any water spots or otherwise.