PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized HD engine cases

Troda
12-26-2019, 08:16 AM
I’ve got a 2016 Roadglide that I need to detail. The wrinkle coat on the engine has that white powder coming through and I’m not sure what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated

57Rambler
12-26-2019, 07:34 PM
Sounds like aluminum oxidation. Maybe try vinegar with a detailing brush.

PaulMys
12-26-2019, 08:45 PM
I’ve got a 2016 Roadglide that I need to detail. The wrinkle coat on the engine has that white powder coming through and I’m not sure what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated

Only help I can give you is this tip:

Instead of "HD engine cases" retitle your thread to include the full name of "Harley Davidson".

The reason I say this, is that too many people who could potentially help will just scan over the "HD". (Might even think HD Speed if they are really just glancing quickly).

Troda
12-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Only help I can give you is this tip:

Instead of "HD engine cases" retitle your thread to include the full name of "Harley Davidson".

The reason I say this, is that too many people who could potentially help will just scan over the "HD". (Might even think HD Speed if they are really just glancing quickly).

How do I edit the title?

PaulMys
12-26-2019, 09:21 PM
How do I edit the title?

You cannot. Only a forum moderator can.

Just start a new one. :)

majsmith
07-05-2020, 07:42 PM
I haven't tried this...2018 Ultra. But I have heard that spray on tire dressing will help turn the case back to a good dark black color.

Use at your own risk, maybe try it on an area up front behind the front wheel.

TonesGTO
07-11-2020, 09:08 PM
Harley makes an engine brightener that works real well at getting the case a like new black

2black1s
12-25-2020, 09:04 PM
Without knowing the severity of the oxidation I'm just going to throw this out as an option for you. You decide.

Go to an automotive paint store and get some aluminum cleaner that is used to prep aluminum for painting.

Dilute per the instructions, pour into a spray bottle, and spray it onto the engine case. Let it dwell. Thoroughly rinse before it dries.

Repeat as required. You might need an assortment of brushes to help remove the oxidation.

Finish by spraying the engine cases with S100 Engine Brightener.