PDA

View Full Version : Black Painted Rims

Pages : [1] 2

kl0n0pin
12-24-2019, 03:35 AM
I’m trying to find a safe wheel cleaner for my new car. I just purchased a ZL1 1LE and it has black painted rims. The only wheel cleaner I have right now is Meguiars wheel brightener and I’m wondering if it’s too aggressive for these rims. Any input on what products would be best for this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Coatingsarecrack
12-24-2019, 05:56 AM
I would stay away from the wheel brightener on painted wheels. On a sport car with heavy brake dust I like Meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner. It comes in 24 ounce bottles and does an amazing job.

Really any wheel cleaner with fall out remover will do well. You can see most working with color change

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191224/1f326102a6c7db6c633ae1c9b0475a7c.jpg

Most here like P&S Brake buster which I feel is good but not as good as the Meguiars. If cleaning wheel often this works. Really good price too.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191224/cf0d3c7088fad6b3f4ee6c388e33f1f0.jpg

I also like iron X and hear sonax wheel cleaner plus is good too but both iron removing cleaner like Meguiars and the Megs is cheaper.

Look into coating your wheels. Then they’ll clean up with just soap and water pretty easily.

I went with Gtechnic C5 went with it because mike likes it and just remember it doesn’t add gloss to black matte/satin wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FUNX650
12-24-2019, 06:59 AM
I’m trying to find a safe wheel cleaner
for my new car. I just purchased a ZL1
1LE and it has black painted rims.

Any input on what products would be
best for this situation would be greatly
appreciated.

For wheel cleaners that are perfectly
safe on all wheel types/finishes:

I use either P21S or S100 Wheel Cleaners
on our GM vehicles’ Black wheels: whether
they be painted or powdercoated.

Bob

kl0n0pin
01-09-2020, 03:39 AM
I did some reading up on the suggested products and decided to go with the P21S. Seems to be the safest for painted and powdrecoated wheels. Thank you for the advice.

Desertnate
01-09-2020, 09:02 AM
If you car puts out lots of heavy brake dust, P21S may not cut it. I used it while owning a BMW years ago and found my wash soap actually cleaned better...and was far cheaper.

I'd recommend the regular, green, Griot's Wheel Cleaner.

bofh
01-09-2020, 09:26 AM
Careful what kind of brush you use, you'll want something rather soft.

Bobby B.
01-09-2020, 04:51 PM
I've been using the Blackfire Tire & Wheel Cleaner on my Daytona with Satin Black Forged Wheels and always had great results. The 6 Piston Brembo Brakes left a lot of brake dust on the wheels, but Blackfire easily cleaned them up. I also use the Speed Master Brushes when cleaning wheels.

BLACKFIRE Tire & Wheel Cleaner , BLACKFIRE Total Eclipse Tire & Wheel Cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/blackfire-wheel-cleaner.html)
Speed Master Detailing Tools (https://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html)

The Guz
01-09-2020, 05:10 PM
A ceramic coating helps with cleaning the wheels without using a wheel cleaner all the time.

Rsurfer
01-09-2020, 05:23 PM
A ceramic coating helps with cleaning the wheels without using a wheel cleaner all the time.

:iagree:Best wheel cleaner is soap and water.

spazzz
01-09-2020, 06:13 PM
And Wheel Woolies for softness.

I have been using the Mothers brush for the faces but it feels somewhat not soft.
I recently bought the Wheel Woolie Boars hair brush to use instead.

mckobe
01-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Just use your car wash soap

PaulMys
01-09-2020, 06:42 PM
:iagree:Best wheel cleaner is soap and water.

Yes sir.

I bit the baited hook of these wheel cleaners when I first started to get serious about detailing.

Only find that my car soap did the exact same job for about 1/50th of the price.

Live and learn........

The Guz
01-09-2020, 09:27 PM

I have been using the Mothers brush for the faces but it feels somewhat not soft.

Get yourself some of the autofiber microfiber wheel mitts. You won’t miss the wheel brush on the faces of wheels.

spazzz
01-09-2020, 11:24 PM
Get yourself some of the autofiber microfiber wheel mitts. You won’t miss the wheel brush on the faces of wheels.

Aw jeez Mike, I just spent $35.
I didn't have a problem with a microfiber towel but just fell in love with the brush for the deeper crevices of the wheels.
Plus I always banged my hands with the towel approach.

The Mitts look nice and soft, are they water proof?

Coatingsarecrack
01-10-2020, 04:39 AM

Just bought both and definitely not using mothers brush. Hiw do you like WW BHB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk