PDA

View Full Version : Griots G9 Not spinning

Pages : [1] 2

Reuben Brumby
12-16-2019, 08:07 PM
My doesn't like to spin! If I use it on anything less than speed 5 it wont spin... if I hold it in the air and let it spin freely at any speed less than 5 and put 1 finger on it with no pressure, it stops spinning!

I tried using a wax pad to spread wax, doesn't spin, tried to polish with Griots black foam finishing pad, spins even less!
Is this normal for this machine?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

luckydawg
12-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Thank goodness for the warranty
Make sure the backing plate is attached correctly / tight

Billy Baldone
12-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Am I imagining this? Or does there seem seem to be a lot of G9 failures?

PaulMys
12-16-2019, 09:32 PM

I don't think you are imagining them.

But new technologies are always plagued with "bugs".

But, imagine this............ A company that will replace/repair the unit for free as long as you own it.

Imagine that. :)

Billy Baldone
12-16-2019, 09:43 PM
I’m aware. I bought a Boss21 right away. No issues. Just seems like there weren’t a whole lot of issues with the Boss models

Rsurfer
12-16-2019, 09:49 PM
I don't think you are imagining them.

But new technologies are always plagued with "bugs".

But, imagine this............ A company that will replace/repair the unit for free as long as you own it.

Imagine that. :)

Its nice that they will repair it, but it also would be nice if they didn't have to.

PaulMys
12-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Its nice that they will repair it, but it also would be nice if they didn't have to.

Point taken.

But the same may be said for anything.

Loach
12-16-2019, 10:37 PM
It's definitely not normal, your G9 should be maintaining torque and rotation throughout the speed ranges. Double check tightness on the cord, make sure the backing plate is torqued down and snug. If that doesn't work then reach out to Griot's and they'll take care of you. This was a big move for Griot's to switch to a different polisher manufacturer for the new line, and sometimes it takes a big release to get the polishers out in the open to discover some of the weak points of the new design. But you can bet Griot's isn't going to sit by idly, they have a lot of pride in their polishers and I expect them to iron out the kinks asap and work closely with the guys that are having issues.

RZJZA80
12-16-2019, 11:39 PM
I would double check the backing plate

Reuben Brumby
12-17-2019, 12:34 AM
Thank goodness for the warranty
Make sure the backing plate is attached correctly / tightYes it is!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-17-2019, 01:56 AM

Seems like an awful lot to me too, but the data I don't know is how many have they sold. 10 complaints out of 5,000 sales, not too shabby. 10 complaints out of 500 sales, I'm gonna stay away for awhile. And I figure for every bad story I've heard about it, there might be 1, 2 or maybe even more where the person doesn't say anything. I will say the number, regardless of how many they've sold is still not good. I don't hear people saying their new Flex or Rupes died after only a few days. I don't see people saying their sub $200 polishers give them problems out the gate like this.

SWETM
12-17-2019, 03:31 AM
This may sound crazy but just to be sure. Do you use an extension cord? If so try without it. If you don't and still a problem without the extension cord. Try the polisher in another electric outlet that's not on the same fuse. Just to take out if it's any problems on your side of the end. If it's still has the same problem with keeping up the spinning. Contact Griots Garage and they will take care of you.

Are you able to see if the counter weight is in the right place when you remove the backing plate. And the backing plate is spinning lightly when you have don't have the polisher on and just try to give the backing plate a spinn or is it hard to manual spinning the backing plate? Either way it's a thing to contact GG and see what they are saying.

/ Tony

MarkD51
12-17-2019, 05:46 AM
Maybe some other G9 users can chime in here, because I'm not sure, I don't own one, or have seen the user's manual.

Does this model machine also require the use of a Fiber Backing Plate Washer? If so, that's something you want to check also.

Goonie75
12-17-2019, 06:47 AM
No issues so far. Really enjoy it at this point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Wknd Dtlr
12-17-2019, 08:35 AM
I thought I was just imagining this same symptom with my G9 but attributed it to not using it properly. I have noticed it has good power on an absolute flat surface but when it comes in contact with even a minor contour it stops rotating unless its on at least speed 5. This is with a 5.5" finishing pad. I need some more time on it with different polishes and pads to make certain. I was expecting a bit more power. I'm not a pro but have been detailing for 10 years and have experience with long throws, flex 3401, GG6 and PC7424, so I have a fair amount of experience with machine polishing.

It will be a few weeks before I can get time to work with it again to confirm if this is an issue for me or not.