PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber towel Lint

Pages : [1] 2 3

Automoglow
12-16-2019, 11:22 AM
I know this has been discussed a lot, but I have tried all methods I have seen and I’m still getting a lot of micro lint of windows and interior plastic pieces. What can be causing this? So I need to just replace all these towels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2black1s
12-16-2019, 01:46 PM
That is the reason why I use cotton terry cloth towels for glass. I don't care what microfiber towel I've used they all seem to leave lint behind and its not just loose lint that can be blown away with air, the lint is "stuck" to the glass.

I do have to note though that I have not tried every microfiber out there. I just can't see spending 3, 4, even 5 bucks for a single microfiber towel when there are other options.

Automoglow
12-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Sucks man it’s even leaving it on the paint

PaulMys
12-16-2019, 10:17 PM
Sucks man it’s even leaving it on the paint

Ever try waffle weave MF designed for glass?

Also...... What towels (type, or brand) are you using?

Coatingsarecrack
12-17-2019, 05:24 AM
Try the Zep cloths no lint and all the praise they get is worth it

SWETM
12-17-2019, 10:44 AM
It's much about the weave when it comes to the glass mf towels. I have not seen the kind of no nap mf glass towels that I use in a shop in US sadly. They usually costs around $4. Also as mentioned above a waffle weave mf glass towel can work good as well. Think there are glass mf towels that has the twisted loop nap like GG drying towels has and maybe GG has a glass mf towel with the twisted loop nap or terry weave.

The next that I'm think is very important is how you care for them when you wash them. Always wash glass mf towels on their own and not mixing in other mf towels. Cause they are designed to be more aggressive than those that you use on paint and other surfaces. So they can rip out lint from the other mf towels that's not a dedicated made for glass. The second thing I don't do is to not putting them into a dryer. Dryers can be very aggressive and you usually notice this in how much of lint you get from clothes in the dryers filters. Test this out and only air dry them. And the only thing that can be is if you have a lot of dust circling in the room where you dry them or if it's dusty where you store them in. Then it's takeing longer time and uses until they wears down and starts to lint cause of that. This way works for me and can be a way to get your problem solved.

/ Tony

Automoglow
12-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Ever try waffle weave MF designed for glass?

Also...... What towels (type, or brand) are you using?

I use the waffle weave towels for Autogeek for my glass and unusually wash those with my drying dowels.

I’m not sure on the brand of the MF towels I use. I was given most of them brand new from a friend. I recently
Purchased some new drying towels and paint towels that are from the Rag company. And these seem to be ok. It’s more the regular MF towels that I get the lint. May be just old.

I guess I can dry the no dryer thing and see how they work.

UncleDavy
12-17-2019, 05:30 PM
Cheap microfiber towels that you buy at Walmart or the supermarket will leave lint behind. It is especially noticeable on glass. I relegate those towels to door jambs, wheels, wheel wells and the kitchen. I have said this on another thread. There is no need to overcomplicate glass. Use a Zap Cloth followed up with a Griots glass towel, end of story. There will be no streaks, no smears and no lint.

Tasmania
12-18-2019, 07:33 AM
Wash glass mf cloths in cold wash and air dry on a hanger.

Always wash separate from drying towels etc

PaulMys
12-18-2019, 05:49 PM
I’m not sure on the brand of the MF towels I use. I was given most of them brand new from a friend. I recently
Purchased some new drying towels and paint towels that are from the Rag company. And these seem to be ok. It’s more the regular MF towels that I get the lint. May be just old.

You answered your own question right here. :)

paulgyro
12-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Try the Zep cloths no lint and all the praise they get is worth it

Do you have link to the Zep towels? I'm not finding anything searching around. I deal with lint all the time with MF and it drives me NUTS.

Bruno Soares
12-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Do you have link to the Zep towels? I'm not finding anything searching around. I deal with lint all the time with MF and it drives me NUTS.

Wolfstein?s Zap Cloth (https://www.autogeek.net/zap-cloth.html)

SWETM
12-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Wolfstein?s Zap Cloth (https://www.autogeek.net/zap-cloth.html)

How is the feel of the material on the Zap Cloth? Is it like those you get with some eye glasses and cameras and some TVs even with like a silky smooth fabric? Or is it simualar to another cloth you know of?

Have been wondering if the material on the Carpro mf suede towels is any like those Zap Cloths. They worked great with Sonax Glass Cleaner on some dirty eye glasses. But they don't looked to have so tight of a weave the mf suede towel. So think it's a high risk that the aggressiveness of the glass can make them starting to lint quite soon but I will be trying them on the inside and outside windows on the cars and see how it goes. Anyone else that have tested the big 40×40mm Carpro Mf Suede Towels with cleaning glass with them? It's those that's recommended to be used to wipe off coatings with. The no nap glass mf towels I like has the downside that they can be very grabby when you have gotten the glass squeeqe clean. So looking for options if I see something that could work. Sadly I don't find the Zap Cloth in Sweden. So would be interesting to see if there are some simualar to those that could be working for me. Or are they pretreated with anything these Zap Cloths them selfs or is it just the material and how they are made that works so great to clean glass with?

/ Tony

Bruno Soares
12-19-2019, 03:37 PM
How is the feel of the material on the Zap Cloth? Is it like those you get with some eye glasses and cameras and some TVs even with like a silky smooth fabric? Or is it simualar to another cloth you know of?

Have been wondering if the material on the Carpro mf suede towels is any like those Zap Cloths. They worked great with Sonax Glass Cleaner on some dirty eye glasses. But they don't looked to have so tight of a weave the mf suede towel. So think it's a high risk that the aggressiveness of the glass can make them starting to lint quite soon but I will be trying them on the inside and outside windows on the cars and see how it goes. Anyone else that have tested the big 40×40mm Carpro Mf Suede Towels with cleaning glass with them? It's those that's recommended to be used to wipe off coatings with. The no nap glass mf towels I like has the downside that they can be very grabby when you have gotten the glass squeeqe clean. So looking for options if I see something that could work. Sadly I don't find the Zap Cloth in Sweden. So would be interesting to see if there are some simualar to those that could be working for me. Or are they pretreated with anything these Zap Cloths them selfs or is it just the material and how they are made that works so great to clean glass with?

/ Tony
Similar to those towels to clean glasses but stiffer. I bought it after some recommendation here and never got used to using it. They recommend you just get the towel wet, wipe the glass, and leave it. But that water that stays behind will leave spots unless you're using distilled water. So I end up drying the glass which is then just like if I cleaned with a normal towel. I guess I just don't know how to use the Zap cloth properly.

Bill D
12-19-2019, 03:42 PM
But that water that stays behind will leave spots unless you're using distilled water. So I end up drying the glass which is then just like if I cleaned with a normal towel. I guess I just don't know how to use the Zap cloth properly.

If there’s a learning curve, I’m glad I haven’t ordered mine yet. Maybe those Griots PFMs alone are good enough?