PDA

View Full Version : PBL ceramic trim sealer as topper for Solution Finish

Whitewater25
12-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Anyone try this? Wonder if it might work. I have tried both separately and my .02 says solution finish gives a better, darker look to faded black . The longevity of solution finish seems to be shorter than the ceramic coating. Maybe they could play well together and get best of both worlds.

FUNX650
12-13-2019, 11:30 AM
•I say:
-Give it a go on a “Test Spot”.

{•As to using the PBL Prep Spray (and a
brush) ‘to clean’ the Solution Finish’ed
surfaces prior to the application of PBL
Ceramic Trim Sealer?
-I wouldn’t; however: YMMV.}

Bob

Rsurfer
12-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Anyone try this? Wonder if it might work. I have tried both separately and my .02 says solution finish gives a better, darker look to faded black . The longevity of solution finish seems to be shorter than the ceramic coating. Maybe they could play well together and get best of both worlds.

Haven't heard of a trim sealant that didn't work on top of Solution Finish. You are correct, Solution Finish darkens better than any trim protectant, but suffers in the durability department.

Bobby B.
12-13-2019, 03:13 PM
The new Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer is dye-infused and doesn't require the need for Solution Finish. There's no issue applying it over the Solution Finish. The ceramic will add a slight darkening effect and long term protection.

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-black-label-ceramic-trim-restorer.html)

acuRAS82
12-13-2019, 09:38 PM
The new Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer is dye-infused and doesn't require the need for Solution Finish. There's no issue applying it over the Solution Finish. The ceramic will add a slight darkening effect and long term protection.

Pinnacle Black Label Ceramic Trim Restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-black-label-ceramic-trim-restorer.html)
Very good to know, thanks Bobby!

Whitewater25
12-13-2019, 11:23 PM

I applied the PBL to some trim and solution finish to other trim on same vehicle. The solution finish looks a lot better than the PBL after about a week. I did use the PBL cleaner before applying both products. I may try the PBL as topper for solution finish. My thought is that it can’t hurt.

rlmccarty2000
12-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Before we start topping SF with PBLhas anyone proved that PBLlasts longer than SF alone? I emailed the maker of SF and he said that the amount of “ceramic” substance in PBL is negligible and in his testing PBL doesn’t provide more protection than SF. If you want to extend SF use CarPro DLux to top SF with, it works.

Has anyone does a side by side test between SF and PBL? I would do it but I don’t have the PBL. Even test out the PBL over SF for longetivity.

Final Detail
12-14-2019, 10:07 AM
I’ve restored the black trim on my own truck with solution finish and after a week I decided to coat them with Gtechniq C4. I did this in March and seems like it is holding up very well. Still looks brand new and beads water off fast.

Rsurfer
12-14-2019, 02:07 PM
I’ve restored the black trim on my own truck with solution finish and after a week I decided to coat them with Gtechniq C4. I did this in March and seems like it is holding up very well. Still looks brand new and beads water off fast.

Solution Finish will darken faded plastics unlike many other trim products. People claim its a dye because it will stain your hands and the color is black. It is not a dye, but milled graphite.

Solution Finish suffers in the durability department. Topping with Wolfgang, Gtechniq, Dlux will yield months of protection.

Powerman
12-21-2019, 11:37 PM
I’ve found that the IGL Trim is a great topper for the solution finish. It’s been almost a year and no fading so far.
I’ve even used the IGL Trim on plastic dashes with good results, it does make the dash a bit stiffer but doesn’t ad much shine stays a nice matte finish and a quick wipe with a damp cloth brings it back to looking new. It even did wonders on a 16 year old Prius dash.
It’s a good combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro