PDA

View Full Version : 3” polisher purchase

Pages : [1] 2

Troda
12-02-2019, 03:03 PM
I have a GG 3” polisher I was going to trade in for the new G8. Now I’m looking at the Rupes sales going on which drops the price to around a little more than double that of the g8. One of the main complaints was a total lack of power with the gg3. The G8 has more than double the power of the gg3. I know the G8 won’t be out for a bit so it’ll be a difficult comparison to make. I banking on the fact that GG took the lessons learned on the G9 and possibly got ahead issues with the G8. What say you

Bruno Soares
12-02-2019, 04:18 PM
I'm counting on the G8 being a success. I preordered one. I'd rather give my money to Griot's than Rupes because of warranty.

MarkD51
12-02-2019, 04:22 PM
I'd say bang for the dollar, and the unbeatable warrantee, the Griots G8 is going to be a machine that will be hard to beat

At this point I am unsure what problems the G9 is facing with a few member's returns of such, and whether such possible problems were somehow passed onto the G8? (Cord, or ?)

I would surmise that Griots Garage surely doesn't wish to send out any new G8 units with any possible known by them issues, and then have both the customer and themselves have to deal with such headaches at some near future point in time.

Unless you have your heart set and finalized on the Rupes, I'd be inclined to wait and see.

dennis hiip
12-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Adams Mini

Rsurfer
12-02-2019, 05:17 PM
IBrid, can do anything that the G8 can do and can get into areas that the G8 cannot. Oh, and it can be cord or cordless.

Troda
12-02-2019, 06:04 PM
I just bought the Adams SK micro to fill that void. Couldn’t bring myself to spend what the ibrid is going for. I also bought a g9 which failed after the first use. Not sure why it failed, but I think GG will not let it happen in the G8.

Bruno Soares
12-02-2019, 08:17 PM
IBrid, can do anything that the G8 can do and can get into areas that the G8 cannot. Oh, and it can be cord or cordless.

If i were to spend more than the G8 price then I’d get the Flex “pixie”. That seems to offer more than Rupes with up to 3” pad. And it’s considerably cheaper.

Mike Phillips
12-02-2019, 08:33 PM
The Nano is really only functional in rotary mode. It struggles to maintain pad rotation in free spin orbital mode both the 3mm and the 12mm. I have 6 of these for my classes. I keep 4 in rotary mode and one each in 3mm and 12mm - this lets everyone use these tools and make up their own mind as to what's what.

I have not received my G8 from Griot's yet, kind of disappointed. Could be out of their control, shipping and all. But at SEMA my many friends at Griot's told me they would get me one. :dunno:

I gave my personal Pixie away for a good cause at SEMA. So I don't have a Pixie right now. From experience with the Pixie, it works great in rotary mode and has ZERO problems maintaining pad rotation in 12mm mode. I have not found a pad so far that works well in 3mm mode. 3mm mode is really not good for anything anyway it's such a short stroke.

But what do I know, I'm not a YouTube Influencer.

:laughing:

RZJZA80
12-02-2019, 10:24 PM
The Nano is really only functional in rotary mode. It struggles to maintain pad rotation in free spin orbital mode both the 3mm and the 12mm. I have 6 of these for my classes. I keep 4 in rotary mode and one each in 3mm and 12mm - this lets everyone use these tools and make up their own mind as to what's what.

That's odd because I've had the exact opposite happen to me. The rotary mode is unusable because it just keeps stopping all the time. I can't go for than 15 seconds or so without it just stopping with the red light turning on, really frustrating. I just use it in DA 12mm mode permanently and it's a lot better this way, even though it does still just stop from time to time.

Firehouse Mike
12-03-2019, 02:14 AM
:buffing:I had a chance to play with a G8 the other day at Griot's. All I can say is AMAZING!!!! Balanced, quiet, little vibration and a whole lot of power for a machine this size. I'll be there to get mine the day they are released. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!!

Mike

Troda
12-09-2019, 11:52 PM
I ended up pre ordering a G8 yesterday. I had the cutting out issue with my G9 and received a replacement. Well I just got around to using it yesterday and man that thing is so sweet and smooth. I had to give the G8 a shot.
As far as the trade goes, I had contacted GG about it about 4 weeks ago and was told I could get $65 toward the G8. They said order the G8 send in the GG3 and they would credit me the $65. I ordered it last night and called in this am to start the trade process. I explained the reason for the call. I was told I would need to order the G8 by phone, no big deal because he could modify the order. Then all I would need to do is pay $179 to order a kit which included a FastCorrecting Cream and a 3” MF pad. Well guess what I have plenty of? Right,Fast Correcting Cream and MF pads I respectfully declined and will now be the owner of 2 3” buffers. Was a little put off by that but I chalked it up to a misunderstanding.
That is all.

MarkD51
12-10-2019, 05:50 AM
I ended up pre ordering a G8 yesterday. I had the cutting out issue with my G9 and received a replacement. Well I just got around to using it yesterday and man that thing is so sweet and smooth. I had to give the G8 a shot.
As far as the trade goes, I had contacted GG about it about 4 weeks ago and was told I could get $65 toward the G8. They said order the G8 send in the GG3 and they would credit me the $65. I ordered it last night and called in this am to start the trade process. I explained the reason for the call. I was told I would need to order the G8 by phone, no big deal because he could modify the order. Then all I would need to do is pay $179 to order a kit which included a FastCorrecting Cream and a 3” MF pad. Well guess what I have plenty of? Right,Fast Correcting Cream and MF pads I respectfully declined and will now be the owner of 2 3” buffers. Was a little put off by that but I chalked it up to a misunderstanding.
That is all.

Maybe you might reconsider after sleeping on it some? Those bottles of FC Cream aren't that large, are they?
Seems like one can never have enough Pads either. Other options are, give the extra bottle away, or try to outright sell your GG3 if you feel owning it as well is then redundant.

Bruno Soares
12-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Maybe you might reconsider after sleeping on it some? Those bottles of FC Cream aren't that large, are they?
Seems like one can never have enough Pads either. Other options are, give the extra bottle away, or try to outright sell your GG3 if you feel owning it as well is then redundant.

But if the G8 by itself is $129.99 and the kit is $179 sounds like it's too much for some product and pad. Basically he'd give them the GG3 and still have to pay $114 which is almost the cost of the G8 by itself.

Troda
12-10-2019, 09:20 PM
But if the G8 by itself is $129.99 and the kit is $179 sounds like it's too much for some product and pad. Basically he'd give them the GG3 and still have to pay $114 which is almost the cost of the G8 by itself.

This^ I can find the pads and the cream way cheaper than retail most any day. I’ll try and sell the thing for the $65 they offered. Only has about an hour or 2 on it.

986DTM
12-10-2019, 10:32 PM
I just bought the Adams SK micro to fill that void. Couldn’t bring myself to spend what the ibrid is going for. I also bought a g9 which failed after the first use. Not sure why it failed, but I think GG will not let it happen in the G8.

Have you used the micro yet?? Thoughts?