PDA

View Full Version : Paint polish options that are safe on ceramic coating

Pages : [1] 2

HAMBO
11-26-2019, 10:45 PM
Hello gang,

Other than Essence Plus, are these any other non abrasive polishes that are safe to use on ceramic coatings? I have some Essence Plus left and it seems to work alright, but wondering whether any better alternatives have emerged give how popular ceramic coatings seem to have become.

Thanks for any suggestions!

HAMBO

Daviddear30
11-26-2019, 11:07 PM
non abrasive polish?? how would it work?

Rsurfer
11-26-2019, 11:19 PM
non abrasive polish?? how would it work?

Polish that is high in resins that with hide minor scratches.

Dr Oldz
11-27-2019, 01:03 AM
What exact are you trying to do?

HAMBO
11-27-2019, 01:15 AM
What exact are you trying to do?

Primarily reduce the appearance or “correct” some very fine swirls in the paint that has been coated.

Dr Oldz
11-27-2019, 01:23 AM
To correct you basically have to remove the coating. I would try a spray coating topper or a Si02 wash that may help fill. Remember the coating is basically just a sacrificial barrier for your clear coat.

The Guz
11-27-2019, 04:12 AM
You have IGL Renew which is similar to Essence Plus as it being non-abrasive.

Reload will fill as well and does a decent job of that.

Loach
11-27-2019, 05:28 AM
I've used the following nonabrasives with a soft pad on the DA on top of healthy coatings and noticed significant and permanent reduced performance:

McKee's 37 Coating Prep Polish (nonabrasive cleanser)
S100 Shine Enhancing Polish (nonabrasive cleanser)
CG Glossworkz Glaze
Meguiar's M07 Show Car Glaze

The mechanical scrubbing still does a number on the coating, even though they're not abrasives. Not as bad with Essence Plus, but it's a bit harder to gauge because there's protection built into it. With CQUK applied to the whole hood, and Essence Plus applied on top of half the hood, the CQUK + Essence Plus dropped in performance much faster. IGL Renew F4 is one I'll be testing that The Guz noted, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how this performs.

carcarecoaches
11-27-2019, 06:22 AM
If it's a good quality ceramic coating then you might have to wet sand it to remove. We recently had a wet sanding training session and needed to use that technique to remove Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra from the painted surface.

Kaban
11-28-2019, 12:53 PM
If it's a good quality ceramic coating then you might have to wet sand it to remove. We recently had a wet sanding training session and needed to use that technique to remove Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra from the painted surface.

I guess every coating AG sells is a bad ceramic coating then....

fightnews
11-28-2019, 01:35 PM
I've always wondered what the traditional non abrasive polishes would do to a coating. They wouldn't take it off obviously but would they make it look better temporarily? Idk

fightnews
11-28-2019, 01:36 PM

Come on really? How do you know if it's gone or not?

The Guz
11-28-2019, 02:05 PM

Well CSU is a professional/authorized intaller only coating so many of here won't have to worry about it. It has been known that it needs to be wet sanded off which is why it is not sold to the unauthorized installer. But most coatings available to the general public can be removed with a polish. That does not take away from it being a quality product.

Rsurfer
11-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Wet sanding to remove it imo doesn't make it a better coating.

Kaban
11-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Wet sanding to remove it imo doesn't make it a better coating.

Exactly. Why would anyone want to go through that hassle anyways?