PDA

View Full Version : The hobby. Who owns who?

Pages : [1] 2

PA DETAILER
11-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Love the detailing hobby and always have. While I was putting down a coat of BF Sio2 paint sealant this afternoon, I had the question, DO YOU OWN THE VEHICLE OR DOES IT OWN YOU? We are always striving for that perfect looking vehicle that sometimes it borders on insanity. We are the 1% of the population that obsess over our vehicles. Guess it comes with the hobby. The insanity, Ill take it. Agree. It is a crazy, obsessive hobby.

Bill D
11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
I’ll take it too. Once I get the cars perfect I often just park them in the garage and sit while I go about other things in my life. Might not be good for the cars too much but it’s good for my mental health.

Klasse Act
11-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Being a car guy having a nice ride is 2nd nature, a clean one is a must, even if I have a Hyundai Elantra sport, LOL. I speak for many here when I say it's also therapy and in my case, I need ALOT of it, trust me[emoji55]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DETAILROOKIE
11-17-2019, 05:53 PM
The vehicle definitely owns me! I pick my car based on the color and products I have. I'm not happy unless my car is clean. I spend more on car products than my car payment lol. My name is Leo and I'm a detail product addict!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PA DETAILER
11-17-2019, 06:10 PM

What owns me.

UncleDavy
11-17-2019, 06:10 PM
It is definitely therapy and the cars own us. Even when you think the car is finished, you can always think of something else that you can do to it. The fact that we sit here reading and posting on the forum is an idication that we are always thinking about products, processes, techniques and tools.
For me, I just enjoy the activity of cleaning, polishing, shining and coating a vehicle; even if it is not mine. If it is in my driveway, it is going to shine.

TNcoupe
11-17-2019, 07:49 PM
If you have an old Ford...it owns you.

Bruno Soares
11-17-2019, 09:07 PM
I wish I could say cleaning my car is therapy. It’s not. It’s a damn chore. But I love the result and have to accept the work it is to get there. I wish I didn’t care like all my friends that just drive through the swirl inducing car washes. I’d have a lot more free time and a lot less stress.

FUNX650
11-17-2019, 09:19 PM
Once I get the cars perfect
I often just park them in the garage and sit...

Mine don’t even have to be perfect in
order for me to do that:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/1C42B423-F7D8-4656-8202-94535DC76D58.jpeg

Bob

BudgetPlan1
11-18-2019, 05:31 AM
I wish I could say cleaning my car is therapy. It’s not. It’s a damn chore. But I love the result and have to accept the work it is to get there. I wish I didn’t care like all my friends that just drive through the swirl inducing car washes. I’d have a lot more free time and a lot less stress.I'm with you; I like clean cars but don't really like cleaning cars; unfortunately can't have one without the other.

Desertnate
11-18-2019, 09:22 AM
I refuse to let a vehicle own me.

As the owner of two dark colored, daily driven cars (one which is black metallic), I quickly realized how they look perfect for only a few minutes after being washed. Certain times of year they will be come dirty again before you're done drying. At that point I decided I would do what I could to keep them looking the best possible with the time and resources available to me. I fully accept they will get dirty and might be that way for a few days until I can wash them again. Even when they are pretty dirty, they still look better than most every other car on the road. I'm not going to let a mechanical object, now matter how much I enjoy spending time in it and driving it, to rob me of joy in life. There are too many other things which do really matter.

I'm with you; I like clean cars but don't really like cleaning cars; unfortunately can't have one without the other.

I've found I don't really mind washing. It's therapeutic for me and is a relaxing hour or two. What I don't enjoy as much as I probably should is the correction and LSP application. I've become a big fan of coatings due to how much easier the entire wash process has become and I only have to do full detail every year or two vice every six months.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-18-2019, 09:36 AM
I own two jet black cars. They own me on a short leash.

BudgetPlan1
11-18-2019, 10:03 AM
I refuse to let a vehicle own me.
I've found I don't really mind washing. It's therapeutic for me and is a relaxing hour or two. What I don't enjoy as much as I probably should is the correction and LSP application. I've become a big fan of coatings due to how much easier the entire wash process has become and I only have to do full detail every year or two vice every six months.
Still with ya! While I used to find the prep/application process kinda fun, it's more or less now turned into a means to an end. Glad our cars are pretty much set for the next 2-3 years now, barring anything unusual. Driving the cars is more entertaining than maintaining them lately.

I own two jet black cars. They own me on a short leash.
After recently acquiring a metallic grey car, I'm done with black forever. Coated the new to us gray thing, drove it 250 miles through a variety of rainstorms, heavy and light, and usually when I get home it's a pretty immediate wash. Looked good enough still that I let it go for a week; not something you can do with black.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-18-2019, 11:15 AM
I can see how the lighter coolers keep their "look" and being easier to maintain than black. Especially after driving through inclement weather. I guess with my OCD and nothing looks better than black when detailed mentality it doesn't bother me to much.

PaulMys
11-18-2019, 06:01 PM
I would like to say that my truck doesn't "own me", but when I think of all the times I have passed up other activities (fishing trips e.g.) to spend time on the truck, I have to wonder........

That being said, when my fishing buddies see the truck, they are like "DAMN, man!! That thing looks awesome!!".

The Ram is a 2012, but I still to this get day get people who congratulate me on my "new" truck.

So yeah, I guess it does own me in a way........ ;)